Home

How do you determine the Middle Linebacker?

This is a discussion on How do you determine the Middle Linebacker? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
How do you determine the Middle Linebacker?

In a 4-3 defense I know who is the Middle Line Backer that is easy but all the other defensive formations I cannot figure out who the Middle Line Backer is. Any information is helpful, thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
It's always the LB in the center of the 3 LBs. In a 3-4 there are 2 MLBs. I just put that in there because it seems that would be the one that's harder to tell.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: How do you determine the Middle Linebacker?

You need to go into the formation subs menu to see who's in each formation, then you can make changes you deem necessary. In the nickel, they seem to remove the LOLB, and in the dime they remove the ROLB and leave the MLB in. In the 3-4, the top 2 MLBs in your depth chart are in there. Is that what you needed?

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gportillo52
In a 4-3 defense I know who is the Middle Line Backer that is easy but all the other defensive formations I cannot figure out who the Middle Line Backer is. Any information is helpful, thank you.

I saw your thread got flamed on NCAA Strategeis so I'll post here. ( not sure why all the trolls,....)

You should count the number of player from the sideline. The first player, or the outside guy is #1(the CB). The next guy in is #2(a OLB in 4-3, a CB in dime,.....) The third guy in is the MIKE.

So in Nickle, the MIKE is the LB on the side of the 3rd CB. The MIKE can change if the 3rd CB goed with the motion across the formation.

Identifing the MIKE is a great tool to use against man2. you can get a fast player against a slow MIKE. Also indetifying the MIKE alllows set the preotection because you can anticipate a free rusher.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter
I saw your thread got flamed on NCAA Strategeis so I'll post here. ( not sure why all the trolls,....)

You should count the number of player from the sideline. The first player, or the outside guy is #1(the CB). The next guy in is #2(a OLB in 4-3, a CB in dime,.....) The third guy in is the MIKE.

So in Nickle, the MIKE is the LB on the side of the 3rd CB. The MIKE can change if the 3rd CB goed with the motion across the formation.

Identifing the MIKE is a great tool to use against man2. you can get a fast player against a slow MIKE. Also indetifying the MIKE alllows set the preotection because you can anticipate a free rusher.
I'm hoping this doesn't come out as a stupid question, and I admit to not spending more time on trying to reason it out myself, but...
Does it make sense to replace the MLB in the dime, and maybe even the nickel, package with one of the OLBs who more often are faster/quicker and may even have higher coverage skills?
Thinking ahead, might that affect the nickel's LB package adversely, though?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
I'm hoping this doesn't come out as a stupid question, and I admit to not spending more time on trying to reason it out myself, but...
Does it make sense to replace the MLB in the dime, and maybe even the nickel, package with one of the OLBs who more often are faster/quicker and may even have higher coverage skills?

Great question! I would say yes.

Many MLBs are slower but stronger that the OLBs. In passing situation I would think you want more speed and coverage skill on the field. I often use the formation subs to get OLB on the field in nickle, dime and quarter groupings.

I think it's all about knowing your roster.

Speaking of formation sub, I love the 3-2-6 man2 with the formation sub LB Rush. I can put a OLB (lined up as DE) in spy to help with the sramble and user the blitzing LB to take away the post/dig/drag.... man beaters.

Pardon the digression. I does make make sense to replace the MLB in the dime, and maybe even the nickel, package with one of the OLBs who more often are faster/quicker and may even have higher coverage skills.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
That makes absolutely perfect sense.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Banned

Daniels2386's Arena

Quote:
Be careful about subbing in a OLB for MLB. If your a good team or playing a bad team it may not matter as much, but your MORE susceptible to the run ESPECIALLY right at you. Dime defense is 4 down lineman with 1 backer. Dives right at this defense work REALLY well. Think about it you have 5 OL + TE (maybe 2 TE's depending on formation). Thats 6 blockers versus 4 DL + 1 undersized backer. Its a numbers game. Its only as difficult as a person makes it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »