Home

NCAA Football 13 Video - USC Intro with Rece Davis In Studio Update

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 13 Video - USC Intro with Rece Davis In Studio Update within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #193
Rookie

nazzman's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NCAA Football 13 Video - USC Intro with Rece Davis In Studio Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziza9Noles94
Or they could bring in a second B-team crew to call local games. Something like that could add variety to the commentary and make games feel different.
Terrific idea there, Nole. Even if we only get the B-team one in five games. What would kick the commentary over the top is having the ability to choose between three or four teams.

Another cool commentary thing would be having some in-game bits developed just for the conference championships and NC. "Kirk, this is what happens in the SEC championship games, the players come out tight and we get these early interceptions."

Hoping these upset alerts/look-ins happen now and then, once maybe twice a game. That would be fresh. Having a couple a quarter would be annoying. Would be nice to have an option like the penalty sliders, where you can control the look-ins frequency to some extent. Let's hope you can click past these when not in the mood.

I usually half-watch the pregame stuff while setting up the Diet Pepsi and such, so I don't mind them. The out of conference game pregame bits I will watch, assuming the venue is new to me.

Last edited by nazzman; 05-18-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #194
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Wow, that was incredibly underwhelming. No, that was flat out terrible. I'm hoping that was just a rough preliminary cut-up of how things are going to be and it will get polished up because if that was the final product, all I see are more things to X through during the game.

I liked the idea and execution of Rece's intro, but the audio/dialogue was horrid. The tunnel entrances continue to be incredibly bland, although when paired with the right custom music they are okay. EA has found itself stuck in no mans land between wanting a true broadcast experience and wanting a true on the field experience. That is not something you can mix and match with, you're either in or you're out. If they want to focus on the broadcast part, which they clearly do, you cannot have so much dead air and you can't keep approaching cut scenes on a micro level. Things have to be macro, wide panning shots of a full team running on the field. Wide pan shots of a stadium full of people, etc. Then, and only then, do you go small and focus on a mascot at midfield or a player carrying a flag, or things of that nature.

This reliance on cut scenes has got to stop because they do not flow at all. We went from a few bad cut scenes to open the game in NCAA 12 to now 2-3 MORE bad cut scenes, none of which flow together at all.

The crowd noise during the entrance and during the kick return continue to be subpar, I'm hoping this is just because the crowd noise system hasn't been installed.

Worst of all was that post-kickoff throw back to Rece for a studio update 45 seconds after we just left him. That was more awkward than an NFL game with their patented score, commercial, kickoff, commercial sequence. In a 5 minute quarter game, I want to see Rece 4-5 times max. Ideally towards the end of the 1st quarter, coming in and out of halftime, ending the third and starting/midway through the 4th (as more games reach the late quarters). There is no reason for us to be getting a 24-17 Final Score update during what is very clearly an early afternoon game, even if you take into account the 2 hour time difference.

Among other things I noticed, an UPSET ALERT banner on the ticker and then showing Unranked Cal take the lead over #5 Washington 6-0 with 13:56 left in the FIRST QUARTER.

So far the attention to detail is completely absent. But hey, maybe it's an early model.
What I definitely would have liked to have seen (and what I hope they can do for 14) is to use the "College Football Report" title of Jim Nantz's first years at CBS; they could call it the "EA Sports College Football Report." Why do I think so? Because, generally, "EA Sports Studio Update" sounds very generic, at least to me.

And by the way, re: your comments about presentation in this game, if you want a true example of how it is/was done right, at least in my opinion, look at either the 1982 Orange Bowl (Clemson/Nebraska) or the 1987 Red River Rivalry (Oklahoma/Texas), among others. I have those on DVD, and in my opinion, both were handled superbly and flawlessly, by NBC and CBS respectively.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »