Home

E3 tells us all we need to know about NCAA

This is a discussion on E3 tells us all we need to know about NCAA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: E3 tells us all we need to know about NCAA

Just making things up at this point.

Production cost for a ground up 3rd person shooter is in the tens of millions of dollars now.

Battlefield does not have a NICHE audience that does not change like NCAA. It sold 4.6 million copies due to a blitz aid campaign and tens and tens of millions of dollars in development cost.

NCAA once they make the generational build, is PENNIES to produce compared to building up the next big non-sports game.

Sports game are great money makers because once you have your build, you polish the game for 6-8 years.

NCAA not being one of EA's top 10 games shown makes complete sense. You don't show 2 titles of one sport, lol.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 20

NCAA is looking like a rental now. Madden is def a first-day buy, on the other hand.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Doesn't make sense to market a college football game to that audience when they have bigger best sellers in their catalogue.

What...you want them to bump FIFA for NCAA?

Not happening.

They did the right thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Rookie

woodsmall12's Arena

OVR: 3

Why promote Battlefield? Welp, adding the Premium package sounds like a huge moneymaker considering they have 4.6 mil current customers ... so if they get 10% of those customers to buy the premium pack at $50 then that would equate to a cool $23 million ... sounds like a good, strategic business move to me

Also have to consider the fact that NCAA has been doing some of its own promotion already through their webcasts ... if anything, they would have promoted the Heisman Challenge today ... gotta agree with the other poster tho from the perspective that they probably are not going to highlight two of the same sports games especially when one seems a lil more advanced then the other
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

I think EA was kind of embarrassed by the finished product the NCAA team released. They had to release what..4 patches? And even then things didn't work correctly. They might have just decided the Madden franchise deserved the funding/time more than NCAA.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 AM   #14
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

If it was an EA Sports presentation you would have a point. but like many have said you wouldn't ever put NCAA before Madden or FIFA so it not being shown is not a disservice to NCAA.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

I think some of you guys made up things in your head and attributed them to me. I never said it was a disservice or that Madden or FIFA should be bumped. My point clearly was that 10 games on display and a heavy emphasis on shooters clearly shows NCAA is not near the top of the pecking order.

From a business standpoint, that's necessarily a bad move. Like was pointed out, once you have the build you are basically just adding on to that each year as opposed to building the game from the bottom. To that my point was, we may need to just accept that NCAA is not going to get the support we feel it should. From EA's perspective it is likely just a "niche" game that brings in some money and keeps a certain segment of gamers aligned with them that otherwise would not be.

Again, the whole point was that we as NCAA fanatics should probably give up the fight and that development for it is much less critical to EA than many of the other games on their tray. Makes sense from a business standpoint. Just sucks for the hardcore fans.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes002
NCAA is looking like a rental now. Madden is def a first-day buy, on the other hand.
I would tap the brakes on that one. You may end up being right, but the new audio in Madden is dreadfully bad so playing for any length of time will be trying unless playing with the radio turned up. Also, new anything can welcome a host of new bugs as we saw with coaching carousel, customer playbooks and custom conferences in NCAA last year.

To be honest, the short video they showed of the gameplay didn't look a whole lot different than what I've been seeing in NCAA the past two years. Plus, in '11 they promised us no more being stuck in animations and being able to "chain" animations together. Basically the same tagline they used yesterday. Maybe I'm just cynical but it didn't do much for me. Plus not being able to import NCAA rosters was a let down.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »