Home

Would you buy this game if all they worked on was gameplay?

This is a discussion on Would you buy this game if all they worked on was gameplay? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Rookie

MacDiiddy's Arena

OVR: 3
Would you buy this game if all they worked on was gameplay?

Okay, until i started reading message boards about NCAA a few years ago, I didn't realize how many people cared about presentation....and passionately at that.

That team doesn't wear black shoe laces, how come the scoreboard is 2 feet off, the grass on the field is suppose to be Kentucky blue grass not Zoysia.

I see the game as a game, i don't need ESPN swipes, entrances, cheerleaders, a half time show, whatever. I am always spamming X until I can get to the coin toss and play the actual game.

I myself would buy this game if they took the NCAA 12 game and told the public we are solely going to improve the game play this year. They worked on the option, oline dline interaction, physics engine, etc.

I would be ecstatic, am I alone on this opinion? Where do you stand on the presentation vs. game play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Would you buy this game if all they worked on was gameplay?

Gameplay is always number 1 to me but you can't have one with the other. A great playing game means nothing without immersion. An immersive game means nothing without gameplay.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDiiddy
I see the game as a game, i don't need ESPN swipes, entrances, cheerleaders, a half time show, whatever. I am always spamming X until I can get to the coin toss and play the actual game.
This. I wish there was a way to turn the presentation things off. All I want is accurate player models and gameplay.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

You realize you're asking a question about a situation that cannot possibly exist, right?

You cannot have gameplay improvements independent of all these other things, it is not technically possible. Gameplay improvements, graphics improvements, player improvements, game mode improvements and on down the line are all tied together in the various game modes.

Gameplay does not exist in a vacuum, I don't know where this fallacy of thought got started. We'd all LOVE gameplay to be vastly improved every year, but you're asking for something that just cannot exist independent of all these things you want to throw away. Interaction can't improve without updated player models, updated player models can't come without updated graphics engines, updated graphics engines come from improvements in presentation, improvements in presentation come from increased attention to the various game modes, the various game modes allow you to get on the field in the first place. None of us want a play now only game.

I agree that the presentation stuff has gone overboard and I've been on here for a while asking EA for 3 or 4 different modes based on what you want. Something like broadcast (announcing, screen wipes, studio updates, etc), field (none of that, just gameplay and stadium sounds), hybrid (cutscenes, replays, etc but crowd and field mics turned up) and coach mode (press box view, no TV style presentation, light field sounds and maybe some headset chatter would be nice). But again, all of these things are dependent on improvements to all the other areas.

I cannot possibly answer your question because it cannot possibly exist in the current game model. Now come next generation when everything is scrapped and they're starting over, I'm hoping gameplay is the center of the NCAA universe and everything branches out off of it.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

No. I need dynasty improvements and RTG improvements. I think the game plays fine, although more pass interference calls are needed.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

No.

At minimum I needed to see attention to online dynasty mode, particularly with regard to online dynasty file transfer stability, to begin to have interest in this year's game. Fortunately, EA has reportedly addressed this.

The other big thing that I wanted to see personally was more gameplay fairness in multiplayer recruiting scenarios over time. What I mean by this is having fewer pitches that are predetermined from the start and that I the user have no control over at any point ever. EA addressed this quite thoroughly.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
No.

At minimum I needed to see attention to online dynasty mode, particularly with regard to online dynasty file transfer stability, to begin to have interest in this year's game. Fortunately, EA has reportedly addressed this.

The other big thing that I wanted to see personally was more gameplay fairness in multiplayer recruiting scenarios over time. What I mean by this is having fewer pitches that are predetermined from the start and that I the user have no control over at any point ever. EA addressed this quite thoroughly.
Could not possibly agree more........this is one of the only reasons that I am even buying the game again this year. The OD improvements, particularly in recruiting, are a big positive this year and I would actually rather have that that a little bump in gameplay like 1st year RTP.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Banned

billsmafia13's Arena

OVR: 0
To me gameplay involves anything that makes the game more fun to play. If its presentation, animations, player models, equipment, etc. I see that as improving gameplay.

For instance nba 2k with signature shots or madden with throwing animations, I see that as improved gameplay because it makes the game much more fun and immersive.

When I see horrible jump ball or running animations, that is bad gameplay to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »