Home

Is NCAA 13 really worth $60?

This is a discussion on Is NCAA 13 really worth $60? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1
How much is NCAA 13 really worth?

Ok before I start I know the game is available somewhere online for $45 but I'm going with the base $60 because that is what a majority of people will get it for. Also want to point out that this is not a flame thread, I'm not mad at all, except at OS because my dang username timed out while writing this. I just felt like writing tonight, hope you guys enjoy.

I've never really thought of it this way but I'm starting to look at the game in a new light. The main question is are all the new features this year worth $60. We'll look at it from each NEW feature compared to 12 and estimate how much it is worth if it was sold as an update package. I am really interested to hear everyone's opinion on what they were willing to spend on each one and also if I miss anything. Also I want everyone to make sure that this is not a review of the game itself but a review of what they are selling. You know what I mean, really I made this thread out of fun and hopefully for a decent read. Let's start the bidding...

Gameplay: Passing Package
Includes:
-430 new catch animations
-WRs now have to see the ball to catch it
-Also effects DBs with Read and React
-New QB animations
-New and more realistic QB trajectories
-Total Passing Control (ability to throw where you want, really after playing the demo this has been in the game but it is a good upgrade)
-QB drops 1, 3, 5 & 7 that match the routes
-Updated Pump Fake
-Ability to perform quicker PA passes (abort)
-No more Super LBs

Ok, so I start with gameplay because it really is the biggest thing that needs to be improved. These were all features I found listed in the demo and on their website. Honestly upgrade in passing is a really nice touch, no pun intended. The trajectories and of course the read and react defense is what made the demo really fun for me. The catching animations are nice too. Everything else seems pretty well done. However, what really keeps my money in my pocket is no major changes in OL/DL interactions, tackling, or running animations, and most of all no real time physics hurts it for me. Overall it is something I would definately consider buying as an online upgrade but it would have to be reasonable.

SOLD $14.99

ESPN Package
Includes:
-In Game Studio Updates from Rece Davis
-Also a new intro to games starting with Rece
-ESPN Bottom Line Ticker
-Updated Scoreboard

This is obviously not a huge thing but it is definately nice especially with the Studio Updates from Rece Davis who I really like. However the demo was a bit choppy although it may sound better when the game comes out. The ESPN ticker and up-to-date scoreboard also add to the realism but again this is something that is not worth much.

SOLD $4.99

Dynasty Package
Includes:
-New scouting feature
-Dynamic Recruiting Upgrade
-Old Phone Calls are back
-Breaking into Top 10
-Triple Threat Athletes

If Gameplay is the steak and potato of this game then Dynasty is the A1 and butter (no sour cream please). An upgrade with this is definately worth something and could probably even squeeze a few extra dollars out of me. Unfortunately what I was looking for in this mode was Coaching Carousel 2.0 and it fell short, but there are still some good looking features here. I really like the idea of scouting and the fact that the old phone calls are back makes me want it because I can't stand the random pitches in NCAA 12. The feature that really stands out to me is the Dynamic Recruiting, which includes hidden gems and busts. These are some nice touches but the lack of CC updates probably lost around $5 from me.

SOLD $9.99

Sights and Sounds Package
Includes:
-New Trophy Presentations
-New Pregame Traditions featuring the Purdue Boilermaker run-out, Military parachutists for Army, Navy, and Air Force, Oklahoma State Fan Paddles, Texas Cheerleaders and USC Song Girls (These were all the traditions actually mentioned on the NCAA 13 website)
-Upgraded commentary
-New croud chants
-Upgraded and authentic crowd (It really does sound a lot better)

Yeh.. I remember when the first info of 13 came out it was the sounds and an advocate of atmosphere in college football this got me excited. I was glad to hear Brad and Kirk got some work done but the demo hasn't really shown it. The crowd definately sounds a lot better in the demo but still could use some work at times, especially late in the game. Again, I KNOW it is just the demo so I'm not looking at that too much. The other things listed, as far as SIGHTS go, are very cute (trying to be nice here). Don't get me wrong what's in the game is in the game, but authentic cheerleaders should be in the back of the line considering we are only in, I believe, our 3rd year of entrances? Anyway, this package is pretty much all about the crowd and hopefully Brad and Kirk, unless your girlfriend is a Song Girl. Eh, I'd still buy it.

SOLD $2.99

Heisman Challenge Package
Includes:
-Ability to play a season with a Heisman Legend
-10 Legends (16 total once unlocked through demo and as DLC deal)
-Ability to place them on any team
-Legends are available for 4 years of RTG after completing challenge
-New Reaction Time

This is one of those things when I first heard of I just thought to myself, why EA, why waste time with something I don't care about? The best thing they did was let me play it in the demo because I actually did have a little fun playing with RGIII. It would also be cool to play as Herschel Walker and Sanders, but there isn't much replay value seen here. I have no interest in playing with more than half these guys and on top of that it's only one season. Even if I took them to RTG what's the point because there isn't much change there. As a gamer who goes for realism I really needed custom quarters in these two modes, 5 minute quarters just doesn't do it for me because I have to be a ball hog to get decent stats. I'm starting to rant a bit early because RTG (with a G for glory not III) is next.

Initially I was going to say pass but I might would buy this for the price of a beer downtown when I'm already drunk.

SOLD $2.50 NO TIP

Road to Glory Package
Includes:
-Reaction Time
-New Scouting Reports
-Difficulty Options (Actually another "big" feature on the site)
-10 new stadiums in Teambuilder (either 10 new or total, wasn't sure)

I put this last because as sad as it may sound I actually play this mode just as much as Dynasty. To me the greatest time was playing on Friday Nights and to get a chance to relive those glory days with a pretty accurate uniform with my alma matter but I was also able to recreate my Senior season with Teambuilder for my opponents last year which was even cooler. This year I was actually having high hopes for this mode but it seems like it is going to fall way short because of freakin' Heisman Challenge. The least they could have done was add custom quarter lengths. There is nothing here that wows me at all. I'll still play it but not near as much as last year. I don't even want to talk about Reaction Time, might have been cool for NFL Blitz back in the day though. The scouting reports seem cool but that's really all that were getting.

Suprisingly this is actually worth less than Heisman Challenge to me. It makes me think of the quarter I dropped the other day but didn't bother to pick it up.. now I wish I did.

SOLD $.25

This is about where I timed out earlier so just to let everyone know, I had a much better conclusion than whatever I'm about to say.

The quick total comes to around $36, so now the question do I want the game bad enough to spend an extra $24? As of right now I can't answer that question. I will say that I've traditionally bought NCAA each year since my first NCAA '99. This is the first time I'm actually considering not getting it, mainly because I've just gotten older and don't play video games near as much as I once did. After doing this I figure NCAA 14 will probably be worth just as much money as 13 depending on the new features next year. That means I can wait and get my money's worth next year or I can cough up another extra $20 that the game isn't worth which might put me $40 under. There's no telling how much I'm under if I did this every year.

I hope you at least enjoyed the read because my hands are tired now and so am I. I'm also interested to hear what you guys think this game is worth. Thanks

Last edited by sparkdawg777; 06-27-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Absolutely.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 06-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
MVP

olemiss86's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Is NCAA 13 really worth $60?

I will say that the majority of people will get it for $45 instead of $60. Most people will probably pre order through Amazon for the jerseys.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
MVP

It depends on how you determine 'worth.' I know for a fact that unless the game is actually worse than last years I will be playing it for easily 100 hours. I just enjoy college football that much. So yes to me it is worth $60. Does that mean the game couldn't be better? Of course not. It just means that to me, personally, I'd rather spend my $60 on this than some other form of entertainment.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Rookie

D0GGERT D0G's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss86
I will say that the majority of people will get it for $45 instead of $60. Most people will probably pre order through Amazon for the jerseys.
That's what I did!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

This thread may not last, but I'll say that for me, it is absolutely worth $60 dollars. For me
Spoiler

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

I understand how you all are looking at it and that's how I looked at it, actually before tonight. But if you break it down like I did it doesn't seem worth it. I mean if you really are going to spend hundreds of hours on it, why not continue those hours on 12 if you already have it? Unless you have already played 12 too much.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Rookie

DiSaStAx94's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkdawg777
I understand how you all are looking at it and that's how I looked at it, actually before tonight. But if you break it down like I did it doesn't seem worth it. I mean if you really are going to spend hundreds of hours on it, why not continue those hours on 12 if you already have it? Unless you have already played 12 too much.
I'm going to be playing an online dynasty with my friends. So that makes the choice obvious. Even with that, I'm a big dynasty player so the new scouting and recruiting is worth at least $15-20 to me. Tack that onto your estimate and you're at $41-46. I bought it from Amazon for $45. So we're right on point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »