Home

For all the long time NCAA'ers

This is a discussion on For all the long time NCAA'ers within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Rookie

Hoosier83's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: For all the long time NCAA'ers

I like how pokes summed up the old games.
They did have there issues with tackling animations, and the AI was not perfect, but they still play a much better game of football than anything I've experienced this generation.

The passing is so precise. Putting the ball where I want the receiver to catch it (and simultaneously over a LB or CB in a zone) is the highlight of my football video game playing day.

Audibles or hot routes on the road in a big ten stadium are essentially useless. They end up running something the original play or something completely different.

The player movements are so much fun. Using a safeties momentum against him when I'm turning the corner is beautiful. Although, it works both ways, some good backs make me look stupid when using a LB.

The recruiting has me digging deep into the talent pool looking for the 2* with "good" potential. Scouting helps me keep players with "poor" discipline off my team. Finding that cat with "good" potential and "excellent" discipline is like christmas morning.

Enough of my gushing, Game Stop has NCAA 07 for $0.99 on PS2.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Rookie

Sigh.... I miss back when you'd start a dynasty with a team like Ball State. you'd have 12 people in the stands and just the stadium announcer. by the 4th quarter, as Toledo was beating you by 30-points, 10 of your fans left.

By year three the crowds would grow. Maybe you'd add a ranked team to your schedule and finally get a televised game. If, by chance, a ranked team came in to town and you beat them, the crowd would start to chant "Over-rated..."

I miss the composure thing, too - when you could flick the stick amd see which players were rattled and which werent. Play-action passes to the rattled CB's side were deadly. It seemed like it added more to them game because some players would just have bad days, unlike now where the playes seem like robots.

The good ol' days!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Rookie

Icon10 Re: For all the long time NCAA'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExit
Well said, Pokes.

What I miss from the older games was how loud the crowd got on defense and the function of waiving a defender's arms in the air to amp up the crowd actually working (no evidence of that in the demo). What's more, if you were behind by a large margin no matter how you tried to goad the crowd into getting loud it wouldn't work.....a realistic touch that was nice. When you were playing on the road and the crowd was loud you'd call an audible but the receiver would run the wrong route or you'd get an occasional false start.

It's not make or break, but it's important to me given that the crowd is such a big aspect of college football just as it is in basketball or FIFA. FIFA has the crowd immersion down and you can turn the volume of the announcers off and still have a great time playing it just by how the crowd reacts to the flow of the game. They could be doing so much better with NCAA but up to this point it's an aspect that has been left behind in prior iterations of the game.
Completely agree about FIFA. FIFA seems to get better and better every year. I love the new defensive controls they added this year... they added a great new feature, but left alone everything else that makes the game solid every year. I love college football way more than I do soccer, but unless NCAA 13 brings something big to the table this year, I'm skipping it and just continuing on with my FIFA career mode. Never thought i'd pass on NCAA but that's what it's come to this year. FIFA makes me jump up and scream at the TV (for good and bad) just like NCAA used to. And 8'll be the first to admit that I'm terrible at FIFA.. it's just more fun to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianoJJ

The option was better previous gen.

isn't it amazing that EA has yet to get the option to work anywhere near the way it did 6-7 years ago....

Also lets not forget players somehow had different playing styles even without all the added ratings we get today.

I remember a guy like Woody Danztler (Clemson) actually playing like a mobile QB right out of the box without having to do tons of edits to him.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
Rookie

joeblackis's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGators11
First off this isn't a NCAA 13 bashing thread. I love the game and can't wait for the 10th. With that said, I can't help but feel I'm the only one who has experienced what I'm about to say. Every year NCAA adds features and works on graphics and gameplay but yet if you stick in an NCAA from a while back, such as 06 or 07 it seems like the best college football game ever. Highlights on the main screen, menu music (pretty sure I can still sing every word to every song on 06), pressing buttons to get certain types of celebrations after plays, in week suspensions, spring games, hotter girlfirends in RTG when you got better!!! Haha or how about getting your team or favorite player on the cover of Sports Illustrated for that week in dynasty. I guess I just never realized it, but every year they add certain things almost so you don't realize what all they have taken out. And you don't realize it until you go back and play and oldie...anyone else get where I'm coming from? Or am I the only one who likes all the little stuff on the old ones and would take that stuff over the infamous "mascot matchup" or the grand "one-button mode."

And no matter what just rememember: I wana grow up, up to be, be a debaser
I totally agree.
It is annoying as hell when they remove content from the game never to be seen again...wtf? Plenty of space on the disc for ALL of the stuff over the years to be included.

I still want that fieldgoal takendown animation after a big win.

Oh remember when you could actually get close to block a punt or a fieldgoal??

Last edited by joeblackis; 06-27-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianoJJ

The option was better previous gen.

I play 07 religiously. I completely disagree w/ this. At least now you can read the DE. There are no reads in the last gen version. You get the fastest QB and RB you have and hope you get to the outside before the defense does.

The game also plays too damn fast to be able to read an option defender anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Last edited by TheShizNo1; 06-27-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier83
I like how pokes summed up the old games.
They did have there issues with tackling animations, and the AI was not perfect, but they still play a much better game of football than anything I've experienced this generation.

The passing is so precise. Putting the ball where I want the receiver to catch it (and simultaneously over a LB or CB in a zone) is the highlight of my football video game playing day.

Audibles or hot routes on the road in a big ten stadium are essentially useless. They end up running something the original play or something completely different.

The player movements are so much fun. Using a safeties momentum against him when I'm turning the corner is beautiful. Although, it works both ways, some good backs make me look stupid when using a LB.

The recruiting has me digging deep into the talent pool looking for the 2* with "good" potential. Scouting helps me keep players with "poor" discipline off my team. Finding that cat with "good" potential and "excellent" discipline is like christmas morning.

Enough of my gushing, Game Stop has NCAA 07 for $0.99 on PS2.
I'm always afraid to scout b/c that's points I could be using recurring guys. How do you go about recruiting? You made add another element to this game for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Rookie

Michgantown's Arena

OVR: 7

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hread-168.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »