Home

Offenses in NCAA 13

This is a discussion on Offenses in NCAA 13 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Rookie

jamie1981's Arena

OVR: 5
Offenses in NCAA 13

I have two questions about the team specific offenses...do they update the team offenses when the team changes coaches (like Penn State with Bill O'Brien)? And how accurate are these playbooks? I've heard that the run and shoot is not very accurate. I've been playing these games forever and I've always wondered about these things.

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone

My Teams:
Penn State Nittany Lions
Florida State Seminoles
Seattle Seahawks
Philadelphia Flyers
Philadelphia Phillies
Baltimore Orioles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Offenses in NCAA 13

Yes, they do update offenses when teams change coaches (example would be changing WVU to air raid when they hired Dana Holgorsen). Even if they didn't, you can choose to use a playbook from any team (such as the team where the coach came from to emulate the offense).

As for the accuracy - it's very similar but not entirely accurate. In my opinion, it's fine for a video game as they can't keep up with all the wrinkles and such that coaches plug into a scheme.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

EA typically does a pretty good job at updating playbooks after a coaching change. They typically pretty much just carry over the playbook from their previous school, but they seem to still give some consideration to what the team ran the year before.

I remember OSU's playbook being pretty wrong when we hired Dana Holgorsen, but who knew a guy who was know for his Air Raid, pass attack would install a Pistol offense and develop the "Fullhouse" package (that pistol formation with 2 WRs on the outside and 3 RBs in the backfield)?

Outside something like this, they typically do a good job. And if not, there's always custom playbooks (if they work this year).
Old 06-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExit
As for the accuracy - it's very similar but not entirely accurate. In my opinion, it's fine for a video game as they can't keep up with all the wrinkles and such that coaches plug into a scheme.
Sadly, this is a false statement. The Run & Shoot in the game has about 4 plays that are actual R&S plays, the rest are pass plays that have been in EA games for years.

I rather doubt that will change this year either. Which is just sad and misleading by EA.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

It will be interesting to see how EA handles Penn State. Usually with coaching changes they given the new team the same playbook that the coach's previous team ran but obviously that's not possible in this case.

Very few of the playbooks are authentic to the real offensive scheme. Mostly because all playbooks are stuffed with the same filler plays as every other book. Run and shoot is just awful. Not even close. A handful of option route based plays and that's it. Air raid is hit or miss, they have a lot of the base plays in there like shallow cross and mesh and verticals is obviously in every formation but a lot of the key route combos are lacking. Option is awful, both flexbone and I. They just lack complimentary plays to make a useful option attack. The spread option has the base plays but no useful complimentary plays.

I get that doing 123 authentic playbooks would be pretty tough, but I hate that every single playbook contains about 200 plays of filler and only 50 plays that would be considered "authentic" to the offense. If EA was smart, they would outsource the playbooks to some of us that actually know a thing or two. Even if we were relegated to plays that are in the game, I think we could do a much better job.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »