Home

NCAA Football 13 Screenshot - Field Degradation

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 13 Screenshot - Field Degradation within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #57
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NCAA Football 13 Screenshot - Field Degradation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I edited the pictures out to keep the quote small.

One thing to keep in mind is that colleges and universities traditionally have better quality playing surfaces than high school programs. You won't see field turf degrade over time and you won't really see uniform degradation on field turf outside of some scuffing and obviously helmets getting dinged.

According to the FieldTurf website, over 100 colleges and universities at what was the D-1 level (FBS and FCS now) have field turf. There are 122 FCS schools, 123 FBS schools. Without doing the legwork, I'd imagine about 60-70% of FBS schools have some form of artificial surface. I'd be interested to see an official number. I know 4 of the 12 Big Ten schools have grass and 4 or 5 Big 12 schools have grass.

Either way, you really just don't see those Any Given Sunday, hurricane rains and wind, field torn to shreds, can't tell the difference between anyone type mud bowls all that often. And you know if it was put in the game, it would be entirely too often. Just like the stupid slip and fall in the rain animation they put in last year, it happens WAY too much and only to WR's and it's just dumb.

I'd like to see more light scuffs, helmet dings, paint scrapes and nothing too drastic that just destroys everything.

Fair enough. Though even field turf wears down. Just not nearly as quickly as grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
Why would it matter if it's halfway through the year? You can wash a jersey after every game.
You missed the point
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #58
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
Why would it matter if it's halfway through the year? You can wash a jersey after every game.
And the grass field itself would usually get repaired or replaced after a foul weather game and be good as new for the next week.

You don't see many teams go through the season with just a terrible playing surface. Except my Chicago Bears, I'm convinced they keep the Soldier Field turf terrible to act as the 12th Man. They end up replacing the entire field 2 or 3 times a year.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #59
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky3217
Fair enough. Though even field turf wears down. Just not nearly as quickly as grass
I would like to see field turf get a bit more marked up. Not as much worn down but just signs of use. The more an area gets played on, the more the rubber pellets and/or sand gets disturbed and redistributed and you can usually see some pretty clear areas of heavy use.

I also wish the pellet and grass movements that we get to see in replays were more readily available during actual gameplay. Maybe in relation to some non-rain/snow slips and falls by players.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #60
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Using what appears to be low-level high school football to illustrate how fields should look for major college programs is one of the funnier things I've seen on this site in a while.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #61
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Using what appears to be low-level high school football to illustrate how fields should look for major college programs is one of the funnier things I've seen on this site in a while.
Just examples of how weather can affect uniforms. Nothing more, nothing less. The level of play isnt relevant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #62
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Just examples of how weather can affect uniforms. Nothing more, nothing less. The level of play isnt relevant
No but the quality of stadium and field is. Would you use a dirt field in the Dominican Republic to compare to the field in Fenway?

Would you use your local YMCA's basketball court to compare to the floor at a new basketball arena?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #63
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
No but the quality of stadium and field is. Would you use a dirt field in the Dominican Republic to compare to the field in Fenway?

Would you use your local YMCA's basketball court to compare to the floor at a new basketball arena?
Last time I checked, grass affects a jersey the same way no matter what level the game is played at.

Same with dirt at a baseball field.

I wasnt calling the quality of the playing fields into question. I was showing how bad weather can affect jerseys. so again, the level of play is irrelevant
Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #64
Banned

FloydNDLAL's Arena

Quote:
Last time I checked, grass affects a jersey the same way no matter what level the game is played at.

Same with dirt at a baseball field.

I wasnt calling the quality of the playing fields into question. I was showing how bad weather can affect jerseys. so again, the level of play is irrelevant
If what you want for the uniforms to be dirty as in high school. I would never touch NCAA again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »