Home

Recruiting for Spread Option Offense

This is a discussion on Recruiting for Spread Option Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Rookie

OregonianTexan's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Recruiting for Spread Option Offense

Also, never mind the Fullback position. If you have a split shotgun formation, make a formation sub for your backup HB to replace the FB. Makes your triple option plays MUCH deadlier.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Pro

souljahbill's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonianTexan
Also, never mind the Fullback position. If you have a split shotgun formation, make a formation sub for your backup HB to replace the FB. Makes your triple option plays MUCH deadlier.
I agree with this 95% of the time, however, there will be times where a fullback (or TE) is invaluable as another blocker on stuff like speed and load options as well as off tackle and counter runs.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Rookie

On the O-line, it's not just Run Blocking, it's Run Block FOOTWORK and especially IMPACT bllocking. You want them to be able to get off the line on read options and help block downfield. They can be hard to find, but focus on fast(er) linemen with good acceleration too.

In a way, you are hunting for smaller, faster athletic lineman not the big mud-movers of the pro style.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I run nothing but spread option attacks and I had a ton of success with it in '12 (I won 2 national championships with ASU in my '12 OD with it). I'm a run first guy who would run it every down if I could and my team always leads the nation in rushing yards even over run heavy pro style Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Michigan State, and Georgia user teams. Because of this I recruit almost exclusively for the run. With my style I spread the ball around a ton (I regularly use 3-4 HBs and my top 5 WRs are usually within 10 receptions of each other by the end of the season). This means that I recruit to be much deeper than most teams and probably deeper than you need to be.

These are the types of numbers I typically put up so you can see how I distribute the ball (these are through the regular season of my current OD season, before the CCG).

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anywho, here's how I recruit.

QB: (1)ACC is unquestionably the #1 priority here. I'll take the 90ACC/80SPD guy over the 80ACC/90SPD guy every day of the week and twice on Saturday. This may not be the case in '13 since the QBs are stuck in quicksand for a second when running like they are in '12, but that's still my initial plan for '13. After that you want (2) SPD and then (3) THA. This following guys is the best recruit I've ever signed so he's not your typical guy, but he's absolutely perfect for the spread option and the sort of guy that should be considered the gold standard (minus the horrific 43 CAR of course.....):
Spoiler

O-line:
This, outside of the QB, is the most important area. My ASU team didn't start dominating until about year 6 when I finally built a dominant O-line. For 2 years I had an O-line full of run blockers where no one was rated below a 93 OVR and I had 2-3 99s on the line. My rushing attack was ridonkulous for those 2 years.
(1) RBS, (2) RBF are the only 2 traits I even look at for O-linemen. If I had 2 equal guys, I'd probably use (3) ACC as a tie breaker.

HB:
I try to have at least 1 speed guy and 1 power guy here. The speed guys are tons of fun (I've had 99 SPD/ACC/AGI guys) but I personally prefer the power guys who run defenders over.
Speed: (1) ACC, (2) SPD, (3) AGI.
Power: (1) TRK, (2) BTK, (3) ACC.

WR:
My WRs carry the ball a lot and I prefer the speedsters that can turn a jet sweep, motion option, or short pass (the vast majority of my passes are short) into something spectacular. (1) SPD, (2) ACC, (3) CTH.

TE:
My TEs and FBs only job is to block for me. I throw to my TEs a fair amount, but if he can't block, he'll never step foot on my field. (1) RBF, (2) RBS, (3) ACC.

FB:
I don't use many FBs, but I have 2 formations, with 2 FBs, and 4 formations with 1 FB where I don't sub him out for another HB (because the 2nd back almost never carries in those formations). (1)RBF, (2) RBS, (3) CAR.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Rookie

OregonianTexan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahbill
I agree with this 95% of the time, however, there will be times where a fullback (or TE) is invaluable as another blocker on stuff like speed and load options as well as off tackle and counter runs.
True. I mainly only do either a triple option, FB run (with a HB of course), or pass plays in those formations. I take into account the loss of blocking power with the sub so I usually reserve sweeps and off-tackle runs for other formations like Shotgun-Normal, where I've got a TE to help.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Rookie

Custon 89's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
One question you'll need to answer is how much option you want to run. A spread offense like Oregon is much less dependent on the option than one like Urban Meyer's Florida offense. If you want to have an Oregon offense, more spread rushing with option on the side, you can get away with less speed at QB. If you want to run option more often than not, that's where you need to focus on.

I tend to run it more like Oregon. My base plays are HB Sweep (Buck Sweep when available) and HB Counter. After I set that up some, I run read option off of it and it is deadly even with a QB as slow as 78 speed. My best year with it had an 82 speed QB who regularly ran for 100 yards a game because the option was the big play changeup. I had and recruited big time speed backs who could just fly and possession WR's

If you want a ton of read option, speed option, triple option, motion option, you are going to need to dedicate yourself to finding some big time speed and acceleration at QB. It won't consistently work without it.

Speed is the key all around, but I tend to relegate the most speed to my HB position and then stack my WR position with size. I had one year where I recruited two 6'6" 250+ monster pass catching TE's. I lined the better blocking of the two at TE and split the other one out wide just to get that size and blocking on the edge.

Another question is what playbook you want to run? Custom? One of the default?
I use my custom spread option offense, consistently had 400+ /rushing per game. Its mostly option (triple, motion, load, etc.) with sweeps and QB/FB design plays.

For this type of offense:
QB= SPD,AGI,ACC 80+
HB=SPD,AGI,ACC 90+
FB (sometimes I switch Power HBs to FB) = SPD,ACC 80+ and TRK, BTK= 80+
WR = SPD,ACC 90+
TE/OL RBK = 85+

Once it set up, players would progress into better passing team and become dual threats.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

As some others have said, don't ignore the FB position IF you can find one. I took over a Clemson team with a losing record in 2012 in an OD in NCAA 12, I started recruiting Week 12 and noticed an A- speed, A- accel monster fullback that hadn't been recruited by anyone. I went after him 60 minutes a week until he signed in the offseason. He came in and became the core of my offense, spread option first year, which eventually balanced out to an air raid offense with some option mixed in and then eventually to an under center power option offense.

He graduated a Heisman Trophy winner, 92 overall, 93 speed. He worked in literally any offense. In the spread option offense, he played two roles. I had him as the HB in all the offset gun formations, since those are more downhill and he would just plow straight ahead. Then in triple option sets (motion option, dual back), he was the dive back who I'd option off of. I also installed all the two back Pistol sets into my offense when he came along. The Pistol Full House sweep play was tailor made for him as was Pistol Train Off Tackle. That was my goal line or short yardage play and it was a success 100% of the time. Always adjust to your personnel.

If you can find a monster FB, recruit him and find a way to work him in. If you can't find one but need to fill the minimum roster requirement, try and grab one of those mid 80's speed HB's that always seem to get ignored by the CPU and other users. They just might develop into something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Agreed. Finding a FB that can carry a running back load is great because they have both Full back traits and Running Back traits. They're usually better at catching/blocking as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »