Home

Flexbone question

This is a discussion on Flexbone question within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Rookie

pj_28's Arena

OVR: 3
Flexbone question

Does anyone here run a dynasty with the flexboneoffense? I have always run a spread butam thinking about changing it up just for the sake of change. How has your success been with it? How do you recruit for it? fficeffice"

Last edited by pj_28; 07-03-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Flexbone question

It's a grind. I've played around with it in a dynasty or two, and I always wind up converting to a spread option or power-I option look.

The real problem with the offense is that too many of the plays are busted. Midline options, some of the speed options, toss sweeps (but not rocket sweeps), and especially option passes are all broken in some fashion. Until EA gets true read-and-react working for run defense, I doubt this offense will ever work quite right.

Anyway, personnel wise, try to recruit a bruiser power back to use for your B-back (mistakenly labeled as a FB), speedsters for your two A-backs, and some WRs with strength for blocking (not that it'll help all that much). Stick with scramblers for the QB or look for duel-threat athletes with speed. Run-first linemen, too.

I also load up on TEs rather than WRs. Since your passing game is going to suck and WRs are mostly useless blockers, a good mix of blocking and receiving TEs are usually more useful.

I find it's more fun to run the offense against humans than the CPU.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Rookie

MacDiiddy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
It's a grind. I've played around with it in a dynasty or two, and I always wind up converting to a spread option or power-I option look.

The real problem with the offense is that too many of the plays are busted. Midline options, some of the speed options, toss sweeps (but not rocket sweeps), and especially option passes are all broken in some fashion. Until EA gets true read-and-react working for run defense, I doubt this offense will ever work quite right.

Anyway, personnel wise, try to recruit a bruiser power back to use for your B-back (mistakenly labeled as a FB), speedsters for your two A-backs, and some WRs with strength for blocking (not that it'll help all that much). Stick with scramblers for the QB or look for duel-threat athletes with speed. Run-first linemen, too.

I also load up on TEs rather than WRs. Since your passing game is going to suck and WRs are mostly useless blockers, a good mix of blocking and receiving TEs are usually more useful.

Yes, Yes, Yes

I am a huge flexbone/option fan. I always use the flexbone online and when I play others. Everything Wipeout said is 100 percent accurate. Way too many broken plays. And worst of all is the Speed Pass. This is the options home run ball. The best/most unstoppable play in football (on paper). and yet it is impossible to execute. Part of the reason is because the Oline bucket steps and forms a pocket instead of run blocking on the pass play.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

In some dynasties, I run a multiple formation offense and include the Flexbone. I formation sub in a backup QB with speed, accel, and agility as well as the players that fit the scheme(mostly backups) then run a drive or two out of it as a change of pace on occassion. Seems to work ok as a change of pace.

I have considered doing an all flexbone dynasty but more balanced in the pass-run ratio than most. Just establish the run and then when the safties creep up, start throwing the ball. If you have the right personel the Flexbone can actually offer a decent passing game, esp when set up by the option.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464

This. I've had so many ppl rage quit against me when using GT it's unreal. It's really frustrating for them especially if they don't know how to stop/contain it.

That myte be why so many plays are broken though, if run correctly on the user side and implemented properly by the dev teams, it can be unstoppable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Rookie

pj_28's Arena

The problem you guys have talked about with the option pass is why I have never been able to stick with it. Thanks for the advice with it.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

Basically what wipeout said. It's difficult (and a little boring) to run an all-flexbone offense, but I ran a 50/50 flexbone/I form running focused offense and did alright. Fast HBs, fast and accurate QBs, and good blocking across the board are what I recruited for.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

I've tried running an all-Flexbone offense but with the staggering amount of broken plays, I just couldn't stick with it. I do usually have a Flexbone formation or two available to me. In my air raid, I had a few Flexbone formations where I would sub in 4 WR's and use it as a short yardage formation or catch guys off guard and throw out of it. My favorite thing to do would be open in Flexbone Normal (4WR package), wait to see if the D adjusts and then audible to Shotgun Spread.

I did run more traditional flexbone sets in my Tom Osborne Nebraska playbook. Old Nebraska used Double Wing sets quite a few times as well as lining up in traditional one back sets but motion a wingback around just like in Flexbone. It is a great offense as a change of pace, but it is VERY difficult to be 100% flexbone, 100% of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »