Home

NCAA Football 13 The Gaming Tailgate Review

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 13 The Gaming Tailgate Review within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: NCAA Football 13 The Gaming Tailgate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This is me wondering how the guy ever expected to stop four verticals with a Cover 2 zone.

Four verticals is not the unstoppable play in real life that it is in the game. Cover 2 Zone, in my humble opinion, has never been quite accurately programmed into these games. I don't want to get into a huge debate, but not every cover 2 is the same. Some teams coach their LBs to get as deep as possible as long as no one is in front of them.

The bright side to what he described in this review is that it all sounds fixable.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

Last edited by The JareBear; 07-06-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
Banned

AttackAttack's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Well......when this download finishes, just another year of rolling up my sleeves and fixing this game as much as humanly possible on the user end.
I don't understand why people act like this. Why buy something that you know isnt going to be good?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackAttack
I don't understand why people act like this. Why buy something that you know isnt going to be good?
For a lot of us it will be good, and we'll be able to do things to make it better. We know that is isn't going to be a masterpiece, but we're going to have fun, and more than get our money's worth from the game. At the end of the day this is why people buy games. Our eyes are wide open, we know exactly what to expect from the game and we've deem it worthy of being purchased.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
Four verticals is not the unstoppable play in real life that it is in the game. Cover 2 Zone, in my humble opinion, has never been quite accurately programmed into these games. I don't want to get into a huge debate, but not every cover 2 is the same. Some teams coach their LBs to get as deep as possible as long as no one is in front of them.

The bright side to what he described in this review is that it all sounds fixable.
"First, the concept is a great introduction for coaches, quarterbacks, and all players (as well as fans) to how to "stretch" or break down coverage. At core, the route involves four guys running "vertically" -- hence the name. They split the field four ways, and as a result typical "two-deep" (Cover two, Tampa Two) or one- or three-deep coverages (Cover three, Cover one man, certain zone blitzes) should not be able to defend the route."

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/20...zalez.html?m=1
Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
Banned

AttackAttack's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
For a lot of us it will be good, and we'll be able to do things to make it better. We know that is isn't going to be a masterpiece, but we're going to have fun, and more than get our money's worth from the game. At the end of the day this is why people buy games. Our eyes are wide open, we know exactly what to expect from the game and we've deem it worthy of being purchased.
I know many people will enjoy this game. They don't mind if it doesn't play good football. They just want a college game to play. I get that.

What I don't get are the many people saying that they know it's going to be bad but are still going to buy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Edit: nvm

Anyway sound just like what I expected and I'll be having fun despite the drawbacks...

I'm making GT a pro style offense anyway as to avoid the triple option since id play them more than army/navy.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This is me wondering how the guy ever expected to stop four verticals with a Cover 2 zone.
In real life, defensive backs don't just have a wall and stop running backwards. They'll read what the receivers do and then correspond. For example, if it's a 2x2 formation and both receivers to their side of the field run go routes, the defenders don't just stand underneath hoping someone comes in their area. In that case, the outside CB will likely push his zone deeper and inevitably turn the defense into a quarters defense.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
These issues include sometimes downright awful defensive coverage for zones, mindless defenders ignoring the play completely when defending the option, DEs sometimes not remaining unblocked in an option read, very poor CPU logic, and (near & dear to my heart) alignment issues for the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 defenses.
Those bolded issues were big problems I had with the demo, or in 425/335's case, the last few years of the game. I was noticing those same things in zones and had a post breaking one of the gameplay videos down frame by frame, but for the most part I dismissed the issues as a combination of the game difficulty and an early build of the game. Now that may not be the case.

I'm very worried about zone coverage in this game, I have been since those initial videos came out because that is one thing that will ruin user v user gameplay. I guess I'll have to get my hands on it but that's a trouble demo to be sure. I am trying really hard to be hopeful, especially in the passing game because it felt great in the demo, but that was a tough review to swallow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »