Home

Light at the End of the Tunnel - Infinity

This is a discussion on Light at the End of the Tunnel - Infinity within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Light at the End of the Tunnel - Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
I believe gameplay was better this year than last. There's alot to be said in the reduction of suction and warping.
you havent seen what happens when the patches drop.

The super LB's werent a problem in either 11 or 12, I cant remember which, but then when that first patch came out, the super LB's came back

In 11, the CPU RB's ran great outta the box. They made cuts, were decisive, ran with confidence...after the 1st patch, they ran confused, hit wrong holes, and got in the protect the ball position when in the open field.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #18
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU Panther
I would rather have all the uniforms, helmets, bugs, glitches, plays, stadiums, fans, sidelines, medical redshirts, spring games, 16 team ODs, full customizeable conferences fixed instead of infinity but that will never happpen unfortunately
That's ridiculous. You want all the peripheral stuff but you don't care about the actual gameplay?

The infinity engine allows real time physics which will allow much better players interactions. That will lead to more organic plays in the field and a more realistic gameplay experience. None of that other stuff matters if the gameplay is bad.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #19
Pro

majesty95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
How are they limited when they can't even consistently make a great game with what they have now?

Not tryin to be mean, but we've seen this game play very well in '11, and just needed to be tweaked for the better.

But they messed it up in 12
Most people thought 12 was bad until a patch or two arrived. Things will get better with some patching (although I wish we wouldn't have to wait for a patch every year).

Their limitations are from the game engine that was built 6-7 years ago. So much has changed programming wise and we, as consumers, are seeing all of these cool new features and crisp gameplay from other titles with newer engines. We want that stuff in NCAA and Madden but they haven't been able to deliver because the game engine is outdated.

Think of it like this, you have a laptop that is running Windows XP. However, you want a brand new program that was designed with Windows 8 in mind. You buy it and want to use it on XP but either it won't work because it's too advanced or performs terribly due to the limitations of XP.

That's similar to what EA has been facing with their last engine. The basis of the engine was not built to accommodate all if the things we have been asking for. So they're trying to force it to do things it does not handle well to make us happy. However, because the engine doesn't really have the ability to handle all of these things properly it creates more issues.

It's unfortunate but it is what it is. A new engine built with these things in mind provides the opportunity to implement a lot of what we have been asking for. Will it be perfect? No. But it will be far superior to what we are seeing now.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #20
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
That's ridiculous. You want all the peripheral stuff but you don't care about the actual gameplay?

The infinity engine allows real time physics which will allow much better players interactions. That will lead to more organic plays in the field and a more realistic gameplay experience. None of that other stuff matters if the gameplay is bad.
Let's wait until we see how it looks in Madden before we anoint the infinity engine as our savior. I'd rather them polish off the system they have than take 2 or 3 development cycles to iron out the kinks of something new.

If it works great in Madden, then absolutely bring it on. If not, I'll pass. Remember, a new engine would be THE update for NCAA 14. That would literally be the only thing we get. I think a lot of people would be pretty annoyed if the one improvement on NCAA 13 didn't work right and we all know the NCAA's less than stellar record on new features.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #21
Rookie

gotchaMF's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't see it. I can't blame them for continuing to make Madden and NCAA the way it is.

The majority of the football video game community likes Madden/NCAA's gameplay. Look at online game. It's filled with users that exploit the game, hardly anyone runs the ball with the running back, and zig-zag running will lead you to glory. I have been playing NCAA online, I think that I'm 3-9, and I'm just not good at the game. Not because I don't know what I am doing because I don't know the exploits. Games will always have them, but these just smack you in the face.

The Madden guys didnt know if they're where going to add the new physics engine until early this year. So what were they doing until that point? Foot-planting, fatigue, and blocking (I could name more) doesn't seem like it was a concern.

I won't give them a pass for this generation of console either. Because look at what APF and BackBreaker have done. I don't feel that EA wants to change their games, and that's fine. I won't buy their football titles except on the Vita (to support the console). I just hope other companies take a chance to create another football game. I'm even buying the LFL game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #22
Pro

majesty95's Arena

Really? Is the Infinity Engine the only thing that Madden is getting? How about connected careers? They also got an entirely new broadcast team. Plus all of the new passing improvements, dynamic lighting, new animations, etc.

I'm not saying the Infinity Engine is going to be perfect but it should allow them to do much more than they are capable of now. Plus, Madden debuted it so they've already been working on it for at least one dev cycle. NCAA will get to improve on it. This engine has just run its course. I think it was flawed from the beginning and they've just been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with it ever since.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #23
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm surprised they are rolling out the infinity engine on these consoles....I would have thought they would have waited and had them in the next generation ones and unveiled the power of them.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExit
I'm surprised they are rolling out the infinity engine on these consoles....I would have thought they would have waited and had them in the next generation ones and unveiled the power of them.
I feel the same. Maybe they're using it as a test of sorts for the next generation?

Also, question. Does the infinity engine work at all times? Such as in play between defenders and offensive linemen who are away from the ball on the line? I remember reading that the infinity engine only was going to be present when the tackle was made, so it really wasn't a true fix to how weight and height were virtually meaningless previously. I could be wrong(and hopefully I am), but I'd like to know for sure. Also, one more question - Does infinity still work off an animation based system? As in, is infinity just a path to which more accurate animations and results of contact between two players are chosen? I remember reading that as well.

If it doesn't work at all times, such as in bump coverage, I feel its more of band-aide for now, but a semi promising start for what is to come in the future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »