Home

Any Tips on Running The 3-3-5 Defense?

This is a discussion on Any Tips on Running The 3-3-5 Defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
MVP

krulmichael's Arena

OVR: 17
Any Tips on Running The 3-3-5 Defense?

Hey Guys,

So I'm curious about this whole 3-3-5 defense and thinking about making it my defense this year in my Dynasty (probably going to run a Texas State one). Now I've been playing NCAA for years and years, but by no means do I have much knowledge about the 3-3-5. I'm wondering if anyone is rather experienced with the defense and what tips and advice towards the types of players I should be recruiting are.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
The only think I can think of in terms of recruiting would be the following.

Recruit d line guys like you would in a 3-4 scheme, big time nose tackle and d ends around or above 250. I would also try to take ATH's who can play multiple positions in the secondary. Olb's should tend to be better in coverage then run support.

Hope this helps, let us know how it works out.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Rookie

pj_28's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Any Tips on Running The 3-3-5 Defense?

I try and run it almost every year and the biggest thing to understand is that this D works bc it is unusual but it also has problems in the programming bc it is unusual, almost always issues with player allignment. If you can deal with that the most important recruits imo are the safeties. They need to be able to cover, blitz, and hold their own in the running game. The way I run the D is by bringing exotic blitzes frequently while throwing in some max zone coverages now and then.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Pro

TDavis45's Arena

OVR: 14

I love the 3-3-5, especially for online use. It is very effective against the pass and also can be used to stop the run. Effectively stops QB rushes. It consists of a lot of zone but the man coverages work the best on 13 I think. I mix in quite a bit of blitz from the LBs. DL needs to be Run Stopping to fill in the lanes while your LBs should most likely be balanced as they may drop into coverage quite a bit however they will be used in blitz packages. Safeties are the most important as they can be utilized ANYWHERE. As all football is... Speed is important.

My favorite thing about this defense is that it can be used as a 4-3 or 3-4 with moving around just a few players... If you are struggling against the run use a LB as a DL man. Struggling against the pass drop an extra man into coverage. Versatile LBs and Safeties will lead to success..

Hope this helps!

PS4 Username: TJDavis45

Isaiah 41:10
Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Rookie

Paulinho's Arena

OVR: 5

I run the 3-3-5 exclusively a few tips.

* Balanced D Linemen, i do no converting here.

* LB's have to be able to get to the QB on a Blitz and get to the flats on outside runs... Speed & Block Shedding.

* CB's Balanced

* FS I want the fastest best Coverage guy i can find, i will recruit (A) speed Coverage corners and convert them to FS. This is the guy you will user, INT's all day. Tackle ratings are unimportant to me but a bonus if the player can hit.

*SS The hardest two positions to fill in a 3-3-5 because their is not a lot of quality SS's in recruiting and most of them are B speed, look for fast Hard Hitter corners or fast Coverage OLB's to convert, this is a must at a 1* school.

* One more thing, this year Athletes are your friend especially at FS & SS.

Other then that get ready to Blitz a lot.

Last edited by Paulinho; 07-10-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I find that the 3-3-5 is all about athletic defenders, but you need bigger D linemen to occupy blockers.

I would recommend reading the following article if you want to learn a little bit more about the 3-3-5 and it might give you some ideas of how it should be run (I make no promises, because the in game 3-3-5 might not be programmed properly, but I find I can run the 4-3 Under similar to the real life version and it works fine): http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-3-3-5-defense

Also I would say mix up your blitzes, because you will usually be blitzing every play since you only have 3 D linemen. And since your D linemen are bigger I would avoid blitzes that drop them back into coverage because that is asking for them to get burned.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

I took to running the 335 late in NCAA 12 because it fit my personnel in the OD and I felt it worked really well. Paulinho had a great summary of the personnel you want, all great info. I was coming off of being a 425 guy almost exclusively and I treated 335 exactly the same way but with more athleticism on the field.

My favorite play was just straight 335 Normal, Cover 2 Man. Spread the LB's and re-blitz the outside LB on the weak side of the offenses formation (a OLB is rushing automatically in this play). It basically gave me a 4 man rush but with a ton of athleticism on the field and I could more easily mix up where rushes came from. It could be left or right, I could bring a SS with him, I could not. I could drop into zone behind it, I could rush from both sides.

I really love the balance of it and it is nasty against users just because you can come from either side at either time or drop 8 into coverage.

The one thing I would recommend is to get real comfortable user controlling either your MLB or your FS. These two positions are the most important in the defense. I really loved being able to free roam the field with one or the other, it is absolutely deadly if you get good at pattern reading.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »