Home

Four Verticals Does it need to go?

This is a discussion on Four Verticals Does it need to go? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Four Verticals Does it need to go?

Fixing the sliders goes a long way. But I have completed 2/3 Hail Mary passes (not TD) but the four Verticals aren't all that dangerous when you can find a good slider combo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastatefan02
Fixing the sliders goes a long way. But I have completed 2/3 Hail Mary passes (not TD) but the four Verticals aren't all that dangerous when you can find a good slider combo.
No its not a slider issue because there are times when my reciever has no one even near him in the middle of the field. Its definitely a CPU playcalling issue when they sit in a zone they cant handle the play.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
I've read quite a bit about Saban's Cover 7, and it's fascinating.

A big problem in the game, like you note, is that there are a bunch of different defensive plays instead of different defensive concepts.

I still maintain, however, that Cover 4 in this game is a lot better than most people think, especially if you control one of the safeties and roll the coverage to the Field. Yes, the flats are a major weak point, but it's going to be against any team that runs a lot of Four Verts. This doesn't really have to do with the CPU D defending Four Verts, but again, I haven't had that much success running it on default Heisman so far.

You can't take away everything, you guys. Always remember that.
It really may be the greatest defense against balanced teams that like to go vertical ever conceived. I can't believe it isn't as widespread as other defenses. It's balance to counter-act balance is impeccable as long as you communicate. The only time I've seen a major bust when we (Alabama) have been in Cover 7 is against Arkansas in 2010 when Upshaw didn't cover Ronnie Wingo Jr. on a wheel route (Arkansas was running one of my favorite passing plays, Shark) and we got burned. Still laugh when Gary Danielson, who is usually pretty accurate, has everyone believing that Dee Milliner just ran the wrong defense.

I would love to have guys who know something about defense actually work on this series and Madden. So much is untapped with defense.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcern23
thanks for the detailed reply man. This is what I am looking for are you saying that the defense handles this as well as every other offensive playcall? I still disagree but I am open to discussion as to it being open as much as other playcalls.
I have a few pass plays that I like to go to. I would say about 5-8 that I feel confident in when I run them. I don't use them all game but I use each 2-3 times. 4 Verticals works so well because it really tests the defense. Many coverage with safety help will stop it most of the time. But if it's zone, on the 3WR side you can pick on that safety. If the safety blitzes you can get a huge play. It's a hard play to stop in real life and it's hard to stop on the game. It's not fool proof. I've thrown picks and have taken sacks running this play. The defense doesn't handle it as well as others because, it's hard to stop. I don't think it's because of a glitch or that it's cheesing to run it.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmc59
It really may be the greatest defense against balanced teams that like to go vertical ever conceived. I can't believe it isn't as widespread as other defenses. It's balance to counter-act balance is impeccable as long as you communicate. The only time I've seen a major bust when we (Alabama) have been in Cover 7 is against Arkansas in 2010 when Upshaw didn't cover Ronnie Wingo Jr. on a wheel route (Arkansas was running one of my favorite passing plays, Shark) and we got burned. Still laugh when Gary Danielson, who is usually pretty accurate, has everyone believing that Dee Milliner just ran the wrong defense.

I would love to have guys who know something about defense actually work on this series and Madden. So much is untapped with defense.
Ha, I know exactly what play you're talking about! It was on Petrino's Shallow Cross concept (same one that I think Mallett drew up on the whiteboard for Gruden on QB Camp) where the RB check releases and runs a wheel to the same side as the Shallow or a Shoot route hot vs blitz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Ha, I know exactly what play you're talking about! It was on Petrino's Shallow Cross concept (same one that I think Mallett drew up on the whiteboard for Gruden on QB Camp) where the RB check releases and runs a wheel to the same side as the Shallow or a Shoot route hot vs blitz.
Yeah, it really is an awesome offensive play. One of my favorite plays I've seen like it is what Iowa State ran against Oklahoma State in the second OT. It involved play action right, rolling out left with I think a flood and having the RB scrape the DE and release into a delayed wheel for the TD that changed the course of college football. I freaked out when that play happened, not just because I was excited as an Alabama fan but because the play was just so awesome.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #47
Rookie

SanDiegoTrojans's Arena

OVR: 3

I run 2-Man under in the 3-3-5 nickel just to shut down guys like that.
San Diego Padres
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #48
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

why would they get rid of a real play? They don't need to get rid of it, they just need to improve the defense in this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »