Home

The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements

This is a discussion on The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements

Too much work to invest into something that was supposed to be basic. No one wants to start coaching, work their way up to a head gig and then get fired within two years, even though they've won over 70% of their games.

I'm done with NCAA '13. It was a waste of money. In fact, I'm done with the series until they overhaul the coaching carousel to the point where it's playable.

I could turn off contracts, but that locks me into one team for good and I don't want that. I want to work my way up from a small program to a big one. There's accomplishment in that.

Last edited by SLCer; 07-16-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 13

I'm HC at Wyoming, which you could consider a small school. After year one I was offered the HC at Arizona...(I didn't take it, I wanted to build Wyoming a bit before considering leaving, maybe move them to the PAC 12).

You can definetly get hired by a better school this year...
Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCer
I went 30-10 over a three-year period, won two SEC titles, made two BCS bowl games, finished ranked in back-to-back seasons, went 3-0 against Arkansas and was fired!

I went 6-7 in my first year, losing to Nevada in the Independence Bowl and then 9-4 in my second, beating Arkansas in the Music City Bowl.

They fired me.
As i agree the logic is wonky and your accomplishments are nice with A&M, the question: are you completing your contract goals?? None of what u accomplished are usually in the contracts it's more number specific.Anyone passing the contract goals and seeing prestige go up ??
Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #68
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSKY!
I've ran a few tests and had similar results.

For starters, it's so hard to get a good job once you're a HC no matter what the school, even though weaker OC and DC get hired by prestigious colleges with worse ratings.

Also, way to many firings. After two years, half the FCS was fired about 50% of the time. I can live with the unrealistic coaching changes like Jim Mora being fired at UCLA and hired as the OC at USC. But the fact he got fired after 1 year with a winning record is unrealistic.

I really, really want to dive into this game because Recruiting has improved IMO and I just enjoy working my way up the ranks to a great job like we all did in 2011, before the changes. But it just seems like it's impossible right now to do that and I've simmed 10 different 5 year stretches as a OC, DC or HC and get terrible results.
Definitely too many firings. Again I think it's because there is too much emphasis on menial goals and one thing isn't being met and they're gone. It's not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45
You guys who have low coaching prestige: are you keeping your promises? Last year I noticed that my prestige was in the tank, no matter WHAT happened during the season. One loss seasons, undefeated in conference play 4 years in a row, and I was still floating between C-/D+. Then I realized I was promising recruits victories against rivals, and the stupid game wasn't counting any of my wins against my rivals. So I stopped promising that, and started promising conference titles instead, and my prestige immediately shot up and I was A+ in a few years.
I don't think we have a problem with prestige. I wasn't making any promises and I was an A+ coordinator right away somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tested29
This. This is what is what I think kills it most for me. In order to have success and get to where you want to, you have to stay somewhere till you see your opportune job open up at just the right moment. If you move around, maybe take a HC position at a small school, chances are you'll never get to your alma mater.

In 12 I played to 2039 trying to get to Michigan State, the alma mater I chose in-game, and eventually gave up. My contract never was up at the right time and even though I was considered for the open HC and DC positions while still under contract, I was never hired. Never mind I had 2 NC's as HC at ECU, which I built up in 8 years there, and had been to the NC 3 times with other schools as DC.

I mean, it was like this on 12, but its even worse now. I can deal with the too much emphasis placed on the yearly goals you must complete, but if you look at any of the big name coaches around the country they've moved around, they've paid their dues and learned and are now a big time coach. I mean, just look at Nick Saban's coaching journey. He certainly didn't sit in one spot till his dream job opened up.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCer
Too much work to invest into something that was supposed to be basic. No one wants to start coaching, work their way up to a head gig and then get fired within two years, even though they've won over 70% of your games.

I'm done with NCAA '13. It was a waste of money. In fact, I'm done with the series until they overhaul the coaching carousel to the point where it's playable.

I could turn off contracts, but that locks me into one team for good and I don't want that. I want to work my way up from a small program to a big one. There's accomplishment in that.
Also agreed. It is pointless to play without contracts because that's what it's all about. But when it doesn't work right, it's not even worth playing. That's why I shelved '12 and didn't get '13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayenomics
I'm HC at Wyoming, which you could consider a small school. After year one I was offered the HC at Arizona...(I didn't take it, I wanted to build Wyoming a bit before considering leaving, maybe move them to the PAC 12).

You can definetly get hired by a better school this year...
The question is, what type of deal did you have from Wyoming? I bet that you had a one year deal. The reason you got offered the AZ job is because that contract was up and you went into the carousel to have a look. First off, you shouldn't have had a one year contract. Second, you shouldn't have to wait for your contract to expire to get other head coaching offers. That's the problem. In my 15 years of simulations on the game, not once was I offered an HC job after being an HC at a school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa13
As i agree the logic is wonky and your accomplishments are nice with A&M, the question: are you completing your contract goals?? None of what u accomplished are usually in the contracts it's more number specific.Anyone passing the contract goals and seeing prestige go up ??
Who cares about goals. The guy was winning. He was winning the SEC. If you have 9, 10 wins in a season right away with A&M, you would not get fired. WINS WINS WINS is what it mainly needs to be about. Goals should make a difference if you're on the edge of what you should be doing. Maybe you've struggled and are around .500 after a few seasons, they look at your goals and decide to keep you or not moving forward. NOT if you've won 30 games.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #69
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProXenT
Well i was UMASS and everyone knows there a go aweful team.

my first year i went 5-7, i like to play realistic. 2nd year, i went 7-6. i made it to a bowl game my 2nd year in the fbs, even though we lost that game, it is still really good. i even realled in a decent recruiting class with like a couple 3 stars and a hanful of 1 and 2*.

Then I got fired...
Did you get fired or did you not get an extension? In NCAA 12 the same thing happened to me with Buffalo, had winning seasons and bowl appearances but was never given an extension. Completely ruins everything and makes you not want to play the game.
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
Definitely too many firings. Again I think it's because there is too much emphasis on menial goals and one thing isn't being met and they're gone. It's not right.

I don't think we have a problem with prestige. I wasn't making any promises and I was an A+ coordinator right away somehow.

Correct.

Also agreed. It is pointless to play without contracts because that's what it's all about. But when it doesn't work right, it's not even worth playing. That's why I shelved '12 and didn't get '13.

The question is, what type of deal did you have from Wyoming? I bet that you had a one year deal. The reason you got offered the AZ job is because that contract was up and you went into the carousel to have a look. First off, you shouldn't have had a one year contract. Second, you shouldn't have to wait for your contract to expire to get other head coaching offers. That's the problem. In my 15 years of simulations on the game, not once was I offered an HC job after being an HC at a school.

Who cares about goals. The guy was winning. He was winning the SEC. If you have 9, 10 wins in a season right away with A&M, you would not get fired. WINS WINS WINS is what it mainly needs to be about. Goals should make a difference if you're on the edge of what you should be doing. Maybe you've struggled and are around .500 after a few seasons, they look at your goals and decide to keep you or not moving forward. NOT if you've won 30 games.
Two year deal actually. And like I said, that was during my first year.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #71
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

After my first season as OC at UMass (started off 1-5, but won our last 6 games), I got a bunch of HC offers. The best school that offered me was Arizona State. Almost took it, but I decided I wanted to wait for a better offer (not like Stanford or USC or anything, but just a school I like a little bit more lol).
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #72
MVP

krulmichael's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
After my first season as OC at UMass (started off 1-5, but won our last 6 games), I got a bunch of HC offers. The best school that offered me was Arizona State. Almost took it, but I decided I wanted to wait for a better offer (not like Stanford or USC or anything, but just a school I like a little bit more lol).
Haha I'm going almost that exact same route (started 1-5, but I've won last 4 games) right now it seems. Currently I'm 5-5. I'm looking to the be the HC of UMass though at least for a couple of seasons (looking like I may actually have a decent recruiting class) so hopefully I get an promotion offer from them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »