Home

Recruiting 101

This is a discussion on Recruiting 101 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Rookie

OSUPoke2007's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Recruiting 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2th3m1th
But there is it, my guide to recruiting. These are simple rules I use, I average 18 plus commits a year and I also end up being a power within 3-5 years while a 1 Star program.
Good writeup! That pretty much documents exactly how I run my recruiting as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
Banned

b2th3m1th's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
I didn't read all your post few ones above, but I will. Just to clean up something.

Before the season, you target guys (so far, I've been around 20-22). Then, I'll prioritise between needs and the desire to join my team. After that, I'll scout the guys, spending between 40 and 60 minutes.

Once you start the season, before the 1st game, I'll scout 6 to 8 guys with the 3 hours I have, and then, I'll make phone calls (quick calls), between 30 and 40 minutes for each guys. After that, I'll redo my list and play the first week game.

When you talk about a pitch, are you talking about finding the importance of a subject for a guy or making a pitch for a subject with the guy? I got a problem finding the line we're you stop looking at the importance a guy gives to a subject before making the pitch.
I find the importance first, and when it comes to pulling a guy off the board you can usually tell after two weeks if you have no chance. My personal preference to focus on guys I can get and not have to battle another team hard for them. Some guys are worth the battle, but there are a ton of 3* guys no reason to sweat a guy you don't need to when there will be a similar player just like him that's easier to get.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
Rookie

bigslim816's Arena

EA did a great job with recruiting this year then ruined it. The ability to adjust players stats mid dynasty is going to lessen the impact of how good it is. It was best when you had to deal with what you got. Most people including me eventually will just let the cpu do all the work and adjust stats later. I don't want to do it but I will.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marginwalker12

Make use of the function for letting recruits ask about the topic.
What is the purpose of this function?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

I agree with most of the points in the blog, but I'll add a few tweaks to it from my experience as a 1*:

1 - add 35, not 20 in the preseason. The "extra" 15 are 3* schools who are top10 with only 1 school on its board. The thought process here is that some will get more interest elsewhere (and be instantly dropped), but some I will jump right to number 2 on their interest....so i'll likely go after them.

2 - I spread my 20 hrs of preseason scouting throughout the 35, although i am biased towards anyone i really want. The though process here is that in 30 mins you can get a fairly good picture on *SOME* positions (OL, DL). I'm still on the fence about this philosophy though - so it may change.

3 - As a 1* - i'm generally recruiting 20 at a time. This is different than in past years as before i'd typically target 15 as a 1*.

3a - Primary reason is that I only have 2-3 good pitches, and anything else is very wasteful (+10-20 with the 4th pitch is generally wasteful).

3b - This also helps with depth - which is greatly needed as a 1*. First season of UTSA was a full class with 20 3*s. I could have picked up even more if i had the slots.

3c - As my team gaines stars (and my pitches improve), i'll have less gaping wholes to fill and cut my list down to 15, then to 10-12 as I progress.

One thing i have to add to - and think should be bolded with any 1-3* guide - NEVER start a recruiting war that you can't afford to both spend 60 mins/wk on ... and afford to lose without hurting your class. you'll lose and waste time....every time. Enjoy those when you are 4* and better. As a low tier school, i see other offers and i'm out immediately (only exception is if its a scrub team and i've got a good lead....or its a late season luxury and all needs are filled).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
Adds a bit of gambling to it - and its fun.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
Rookie

KingNick865's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
You do get a point boost for allowing the recruit to choose the topic. It's useful when all of your good pitches are used up in a call.
NHL: Nashville Predators
Soccer: FC Barcelona
Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
Pro

goalie's Arena

OVR: 29

why are some suggesting just 20 on the recruiting board?

i always fill it to 35 - am i hurting myself here?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »