Home

Any way to fix aggressiveness?

This is a discussion on Any way to fix aggressiveness? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Any way to fix aggressiveness?

I'm sorry if this is a repetitive question but the only similar threads found were for Madden, the Show, and 2k5, and the only aggressiveness thread I saw on here was a zone aggressiveness issue.

One of the biggest deterrances I have had with EA Football over much of the past few years was two-fold: The computer loves to blitz way to much with way to many people and the offensive play call loves Hail Mary type plays.

The blitz problem is much bigger than the Hail Mary one but both have equal problems within the game. I'll start with defense.

Great defenses don't blitz much. They don't have too. Cover corners can shut down opposing receivers. The front 3 or 4 is nearly as dominate as the opposing offensive line. If they do bring pressure, its usually one guy. However, teams like Bama, USC, etc., they are consistently bringing 6 or 7 guys. If you see it coming, you can just drop it off nice and easy to a guy coming across the middle and pick up yards. What it leads to is soft zones across the middle and poor coverage on receivers. It leads to below average teams being able to move the ball down the field on teams that should absolutely dominate them. I can see trying to get more pressure on good teams, but against UTSA, no need to bring 6 or 7 guys the whole time, and if you do, sit in a man where you should easily be able to cover their receivers for the most part.

One of my friends came over the other night was trying out RTG on Heisman. He had 17 completions for 500+ yards, 450 and 6 TDS to one player. You would think that if a guy burned you once or twice, you might try to double cover him for most if not the remainder of the game. But consistently they tried elaborate blitz packages, leaving the WR to break the zone on the outside. Maybe part of it is due to the "glitch," but to me its just common sense.

Offense is the same problem. The computer loves the same group of core plays. Anyone who has played this game the past 4 or 5 years can easily recognize it. I can tell you when 4 Verticals is coming from a mile away because its the only play the computer runs from that formation. How can I play this game when I know whats coming?

So my question becomes, how do you turn down the aggressiveness for the computer or even the user in RTG? Is there any way to nearly eliminate the over the top blitz packages and go to more conservative schemes? I know in Madden you could go into coach preferences and fiddle around with the aggressiveness meters but I could not find anything with as much ease in NCAA. Is there any way in the main menu to fix it for RTG?

This isn't a glitch but more of a flaw that should be able to be fixed with a few button pushes. Look forward to your help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Any way to fix aggressiveness?

I just received my copy, so I haven't worked on this yet in '13, but in years past it was a pretty easy fix, maybe 20 mins of your time.
In dynasty, go to the coaching philosophy screen and lower each teams Aggression on D. The highest setting to best represent teams that did blitz a lot was 55, and tier down from there. I think my lowest teams were around 15 or 20.
This will immediately cut down on the high amount of blitz calls by the CPU.
A couple of years ago there were a couple of threads in the slider forum that used stats to determine each teams setting, unfortunateley I can't find them from my phone.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

I don't know about in college but in the NFL great defenses do blitz a lot in todays game. Look at who won the super bowl. Today, in the NFL at least, if you don't blitz the good and great Qb's will do surgery on your defense.

In college they don't blitz a lot because the Qb's and defensive players are not as good. But Alabama won the National Championship and they do blitz a lot.
I know in this game I blitz on almost every play, I hate given the Qb's all day to throw because if you do, someone will break open, or they will take off running. I'm talking playing against a human though.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
MVP

and real life teams are creative with the blitzes, showing blitz and backing off. with the cpu its pretty much standard with the looks you get and blitzes.

on top of that there is a disconnect between the blitzes and the coverage and like people have mentioned in the past the all out blitz with only 3 people left in coverage just doesnt exist in real life.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Pro

Good teams know how to disguise blitz and protect against pass. There are not many teams out there in general who would bring any more than 5 men in for a pass rush PERIOD. If you have guys running across the field its a quick strike everytime.

And more to the point, I was referring to good defenses against bad teams. A team with multiple NFL pass rushers against UMASS or UTSA runs a lot of just base pressure. They don't have to blitz because they can get a lot of pressure and defend against the pass or run with ease. They may bring 1 man off the edge every now and again for additional pressure but they don't need to run all out overload blitzes.

The overloads in this game are out of control and for the most part pretty easy to defeat most of the time. Occasionally they will match up well and get a sack or force a turnover but if you run the right plays you can pick those defenses apart.

Last edited by rjsuperfly66; 07-14-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfEd
I just received my copy, so I haven't worked on this yet in '13, but in years past it was a pretty easy fix, maybe 20 mins of your time.
In dynasty, go to the coaching philosophy screen and lower each teams Aggression on D. The highest setting to best represent teams that did blitz a lot was 55, and tier down from there. I think my lowest teams were around 15 or 20.
This will immediately cut down on the high amount of blitz calls by the CPU.
A couple of years ago there were a couple of threads in the slider forum that used stats to determine each teams setting, unfortunateley I can't find them from my phone.
Yes, this should help.

I think you could even just try editing the coach philosophy of your next game's coach and see how it feels and maybe the next one after that if you don't feel like changing all coaches.

Last edited by voodoo_magic; 07-14-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

The situational playcalling needs some work. I got the ball around my 30, with 20 seconds left and no timeouts in a tie game. I was going to take a knee and just go to OT, but I decided to try something safe instead. I call a HB screen, catch them in a blitz for a 50 yard gain and kick a game winning field goal

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »