Home

Why can't I run the ball???

This is a discussion on Why can't I run the ball??? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why can't I run the ball???

Running has been pretty realistic and easy for me on heisman but i have always been good at running in NCAA games. Anyway I have been averaging about 4.2 yards per carry.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf16
Just mixing up your play calls doesn't mean you are setting up the run properly. Do it right and you can find success.
This.

I have noticed that the D I'm facing (both skills & tendencies) have greatly impacted what I can do that works. I typically start with read options, draws, and qb slot options and vs most teams I can tear up the D quite well. Then I hit a wall in a game last season - it just wasn't working. I checked at the half and I was at 2.9 YPC, which was way below the 5.2 I had for the season. I switched out to more speed options and load options - and it was rolling again. In that game a lightbulb went off and I've started paying much more attention to the D formation and how it impacts the run i'm about to use. It has really helped me open up my run game and I am now just tearing it up. Last game was over 300 yds rushing (200 passing) at 7.8 YPC. The best part is that most of the passing yards came up in big chunks on audibles after they walked the safeties up to stop the run.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
Rookie

Use the Spread offense, or any offense really. use 3,4,5 wide sets, preferably SG Formation.. HB Draws up the middle, make your move based on the blocking. It works all day. This is against the CPU tho of course.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 25
Ok averaging 150+ rushing per game on default all American and 5 minute quarters with Bowling Green. It must be your playcalling or the toes of defenses you are against.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 2

I added a wishbone set to my Spread. I'm seeing better success, but still no long runs.

I think the speed is way off this year yet again. When I get caught by a guy from 20 yards away, I'll check his speed/acceleration numbers and they're not even close to my HB who is already at full speed by the time he's caught.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
Rookie

aspengc8's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
The biggest problem I'm seeing is linemen double-teaming the DT, but then not working to the second level. If there's no immediate threat, then it's smart to double the big man, but when there's a LB lined up right over the top of you, why would you not go get a hat on him? Or if you must double, give your teammate a little support but then quickly work up to the LB.

Instead, they double the DT and let the LB walk right into the backfield with me. A lot of times I get hit before I really even have a chance to make a move. Even if it isn't a blitz, the CPU reacts quickly enough to the run that you're not going to have much of a chance of getting away when the LB goes completely unblocked.

I've also had a few occurrences out of the Pistol - Full House formation where the entire left side of the line will whiff the DE and DT, and then my FB gets confused and blocks no one. As you can probably imagine, things don't work out so well for me when this occurs.

I've also seen some instances where the tackle bypasses the DE and goes straight for the LB. Well, that creates another set of problems. You can't let a DE get an unimpeded lane right at my RB. Again, I might have enough time to get off a juke, but he's going to tackle me for a loss 70-80% of the time.

In short, the run blocking AI seems much more random than in years past. And by random I mean blocking assignments that just don't seem to make much sense. 5 defenders in the box, 5 blockers on a dive play, just go hat-on-hat, right? Nope, play-side guard doubles and LB comes in free. It sure makes picking up those 3rd and 1's interesting.
Great post, everything is spot on. The double teaming is part of the reason why the triple option and a lot of the flexbone/wingbone plays are FAILING hard. Ive seen the DT doubled on triple, DE stays home so I give to the FB. BAM.. nobody picked up the mike.

Other thing I noticed is the weak side LB scraping hard as hell.. shooting into the backfield and blowing it up.. as if HE KNEW THE PLAY!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #31
Rookie

Anyone else notice how useless the FB is
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #32
Rookie

slick1ru2's Arena

OVR: 4

Just like in real games, blocking can be hit or miss. I have a video of a game, playing against UCF as Marshall, and I have a tackle and guard ahead and to each side of me and both picked up the incoming defensive players and I ran right between them. But it doesn't always work, just like in real games. The worse I've seen was a hole open up and a tackle turn around toward me and fill the hole, wtf was that!? lol But try playing with Wisconsin. You should be able to run with that beast Ball. And also try Coach Mode. You can see where the blitzers are and use the O Line control to move toward them and also run away from them. It might help you to learn how to run effectively.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »