Home

Do the stats (40, BP, SQ) even matter?

This is a discussion on Do the stats (40, BP, SQ) even matter? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Do the stats (40, BP, SQ) even matter?

I don't know that they do. Makes it hard to find gems. Any suggestions? The only gems I've really been able to find are 3 star guys that have a lot of "C" rated categories because some of them invariably will be more B rated.

It used to be that these stats were more in line with what they turned out to be instead of their graded rating, now it doesn't look like any stats matter for scouting purposes.

Also, I think they have acceleration and speed backwards. A guy that is 4.24 in the 40 is usually both fast and has a good acceleration. But it's more likely they have a good acceleration rating than a high speed rating.

You can have a great 40 time and not have A+ speed. But you can't have a poor acceleration rating and have a great 40 time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Rookie

Tdgsport27's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Do the stats (40, BP, SQ) even matter?

You could have the fastest acceleration on the planet but if you have no speed it doesn't matter.

But back to your point, No. I don't think the stats they give to you matter much, or at least they represent something we're not looking for. I think 40 only represents speed, Bench and squat however... I think those vary on position
Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 22

Bench and squat means the players strength
Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdgsport27
You could have the fastest acceleration on the planet but if you have no speed it doesn't matter.

But back to your point, No. I don't think the stats they give to you matter much, or at least they represent something we're not looking for. I think 40 only represents speed, Bench and squat however... I think those vary on position
I understand that.

Why I'm saying is you can be the fastest player in the world, but with "C" acceleration you're not running a fast 40 ever.

In high school, I was very fast but had slow acceleration. I beat a lot of the quick guys in the 60 but not the 40 dash. Some of the guys that beat me in the 40, I could beat in a 100 yard dash by 10 or more yards.

So acceleration is more important in a 40, in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuschler22
Also, I think they have acceleration and speed backwards. A guy that is 4.24 in the 40 is usually both fast and has a good acceleration. But it's more likely they have a good acceleration rating than a high speed rating.

You can have a great 40 time and not have A+ speed. But you can't have a poor acceleration rating and have a great 40 time.
I agree and I think most would agree as well IRL. The 40 is a better test of acceleration rather than flat out speed. However in this game the 40 is what correlates to speed.

I used to have a chart to what BP and SQ correlated to for skill players and linemen, but I can't seem to find it now. Thing is now with the scouting the base numbers you see kinda don't mean much. By scouting you'll see exactly what the recruit will come in with. It may end up being exactly what the stat was, but it could be completely different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Rookie

The GOAT 1988's Arena

I do not think these matter when concerning the player's attributes, at least not the 40 time.

I scouted a player with a 4.24 40 time, thinking his speed would be in the super high 90s, however his speed revealed was 92. I was surprised bc i at least thought the 40 times were usually pretty accurate.

I then created 4 prospects: 1 with 99 speed, 1 with 98 speed, 1 with 97 speed and 1 with 90. Their 40 times were 4.24, 4.24, 4.24, and 4.34 respectively. (I should have made all speeds in the 90s but it was tedious.) Either way i think this shows the 40 times can be off when predicting speed, which in real life can happen so its not unrealistic.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

They're there to give you a general idea, but don't think that those measurables will directly translate to ratings.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Football Fanatic

Yukon46's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
They're there to give you a general idea, but don't think that those measurables will directly translate to ratings.
In previous versions, the 40 time seen on new recruits, DID exactly translate to a specific Speed Rating.

It seems as if they have changed it for NCAA 13.

I have seen some way off (which I think is awesome, and realistic)....
for example a HB recruit listed as a 4.28, which in previous versions, would have made him a 97 Speed. After scouting him fully, it revealed a 89 Speed.

Now all I have seen so far has been a fast player being slower, and actually out of my test pool....all were slower than the listed 40 time speed.

My hopes thats maybe there are just as many mid-level 40 times, that actually scout out to a higher speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »