Home

Should it be so hard to lateral?

This is a discussion on Should it be so hard to lateral? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Rookie

SlickRick11's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Should it be so hard to lateral?

Yeah this fake pitch animation happens a lot, it could be that the logic is off and its telling you that the person you want to lateral it to is out of range even though if you've seen "The Music City Miracle" play then you know that no lateral should be out of range haha

-5 time National Champions (the same as Florida and Florida State.....COMBINED)
Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6
I think when your guy does the fake pitch instead of pitching it is because the pitch man is ahead of you or too far away

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/127529106

Here is an example of this problem on a QB Slot Option from the last game I played. It looks like my WR is in good position to receive the pitch and I have plenty of room to make the pitch but it just doesn't happen. I'm seeing this multiple times every game and it is very frustrating to see it happening over and over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptikal
Here is an example of this problem on a QB Slot Option from the last game I played. It looks like my WR is in good position to receive the pitch and I have plenty of room to make the pitch but it just doesn't happen. I'm seeing this multiple times every game and it is very frustrating to see it happening over and over.
that's a great example of how the lateral works on next-gen. in your video, it looks like since there was an oncoming defender near the player as he was attempting a lateral, it automatically turned into a fake pitch animation. (even though you told him to lateral the ball) on last-gen, on laterals, that didn't happen, except in a rare situation where he was hit near the arm pitching it. on last-gen games, you got the option off almost every time you press the button. (above 95% of the time) and many times it could cause a fumble if a guy was in the path of the option. in those situations, the game never canceled your lateral that far ahead of time, like in Skeptikal's video, just so you wouldn't fumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Mosh
Not very often, but I've tried it several times just to see if I can get it to work and nada. Even when I break a long play and no defenders are around me but teammates are, I try it just for the hell of it to see if the function works and it doesn't. I used to be able to pull off the circus every so often a couple years ago but this year... haha fat chance.
when you say you used to be able to pull off the circus every so often, you are referring to last-gen, right? or was the lateral better in the early years of next-gen?

the moves i have been pulling off in ncaa football 2005 with the lateral on custom AA sliders have to be seen to be believed. i have lineman running behind the ball carrier waiting for laterals, i've seen QB's running behind RB's after they hand it off waiting for laterals. and you can get random circus laterals at random times in the game, like on punt returns or kickoff returns.

i've had plays on last-gen ncaa games where i pitch the ball at the last second and get 5 or 10 more yards. the laterals on last-gen are such an important part of the game. they are designed so well and they can happen at any time.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'd rather have laterals be a little more strict than past years where a perfect pitch could be executed while being gang tackled and only an inch from being down.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thf24
I'd rather have laterals be a little more strict than past years where a perfect pitch could be executed while being gang tackled and only an inch from being down.
you would think that by now there would have been more innovation when it comes to laterals. i mean, basically isn't the lateral the same mechanic on next-gen that it was on last-gen, only less responsive, right? you would think by now, that we'd have the ability to setup laterals on kick or punt returns. like besides just "return right, return middle, return left", why aren't there also plays called "lateral right, lateral left" where the cpu controlled players will line up behind the ball carrier one after the other to keep laterals alive.

i mean by now they should have something like receiver direct for laterals. Receiver direct was a feature of NCAA 08 last-gen, where you could switch to a 2nd player with the right analog stick and control a 2nd player with the right analog stick as the player is going on. this is the type of innovation that we dreamed about when we heard about next-gen sports gaming way back in the mid-2000s. i think it would be cool if each player had a lateral rating that the game engine respected and it would determine how accurate laterals are and how late they can get laterals off before being hit.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

It happens to me all the time. I can't even run load or speed option.

It is frustrating because in real life you don't pitch until the last second (when you can smell the defenders breath) so he had to commit to you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have noticed this as well. I started to look at when it happens and it appears that it only happens when you have passed the line of scrimmage. From noticing this, I made the correlation that this must have been written into the code of the game so if there is a chance that the pitch could go forward in order to hit the RB/WR in stride, thus resulting in a penalty, it will convert to a fake pitch motion.

In lieu of EA hearing all the complaining about the illegal forward pass penalty, they wrote this into the code. Lesser of two evils I guess.

Just my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »