Home

Should it be so hard to lateral?

This is a discussion on Should it be so hard to lateral? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Should it be so hard to lateral?

JstkrznTTU, so you're saying that in NCAA 13, EA patched the lateral so that you can't pitch it forward and get an illegal forward pass anymore? when you try it becomes the fake pitch? this is about the auto selection of who to lateral it to. the game makes a decision about who to lateral it to. For what game were people complaining about the illegal forward pass penalty? NCAA 13 or NCAA 12? was this happening on laterals a lot?

if this was happening a lot on laterals, then what they need to do is have better a.i. for cpu controlled players receiving a lateral. maybe you could make it a two-button press on non-option laterals, and queue the lateral by pressing it once, and getting a guy into position, then pressing it again to pitch it. in real football, although not often, occasionally a forward pass is called on a lateral, so it does happen.

on last-gen, i don't think there's ever a forward pass on a lateral, but the system manages to work great. the auto-selection of who you pitch to is very good and appropriate for the situation, even on non-option plays. on last-gen a lot of the plays you run have lineman following the running back and since they are slower then the running back, many times they are lined up behind the running back in perfect position for a lateral. i had a play last game in ncaa 2005 where my left tackle got a 17 yard run after receiving a lateral. (the RB actually got most of the yards) it's a really fun part of the game because it can keep plays alive.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #18
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Should it be so hard to lateral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
JstkrznTTU, so you're saying that in NCAA 13, EA patched the lateral so that you can't pitch it forward and get an illegal forward pass anymore? when you try it becomes the fake pitch? this is about the auto selection of who to lateral it to. the game makes a decision about who to lateral it to. For what game were people complaining about the illegal forward pass penalty? NCAA 13 or NCAA 12? was this happening on laterals a lot?

if this was happening a lot on laterals, then what they need to do is have better a.i. for cpu controlled players receiving a lateral. maybe you could make it a two-button press on non-option laterals, and queue the lateral by pressing it once, and getting a guy into position, then pressing it again to pitch it. in real football, although not often, occasionally a forward pass is called on a lateral, so it does happen.

on last-gen, i don't think there's ever a forward pass on a lateral, but the system manages to work great. the auto-selection of who you pitch to is very good and appropriate for the situation, even on non-option plays. on last-gen a lot of the plays you run have lineman following the running back and since they are slower then the running back, many times they are lined up behind the running back in perfect position for a lateral. i had a play last game in ncaa 2005 where my left tackle got a 17 yard run after receiving a lateral. (the RB actually got most of the yards) it's a really fun part of the game because it can keep plays alive.
There aren't illegal forward pass penalties, which is what that guy was saying. In '12 and '13 there's actually quite a few laterals that are actually forward passes. This is very easy to tell by looking at the list of highlights. If you just ran a speed option and instead of saying "HB#20 rushed for 10 yards" it says something like "incomplete pass intended for HB#20" that was actually a forward lateral. It doesn't count as rushing yards for the HB, but it does count as a 10 yard pass for the QB and 10 receiving yards for the HB.

What the previous guy is saying is that since there are so many forward laterals in the game, maybe (I don't know if this is true, I'm just explaining what he thinks is true) any time a lateral is attempted past the line of scrimmage that would be a forward lateral, then the game aborts the pitch and makes it look like a fake pitch. I can say that I have absolutely completed a lateral past the line of scrimmage, but they were likely all backwards laterals. I don't know of any time when I pitched it past the line of scrimmage and it was listed as "incomplete pass intended for pitch man."
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »