Home

Discipline - why did they take that out?

This is a discussion on Discipline - why did they take that out? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Rookie

MathisJones's Arena

OVR: 0
Discipline - why did they take that out?

I know I heard a reasonable explanation about why EA took out the discipline they had many years back, but I can't remember.

I really wish there was a way to randomly suspend your own players, other than just pulling a player for a game or two "randomly". Anybody have a technique they use?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
The NCAA did not want EA to represent student athletes in that way. And I believe at that time you could choose no punishment for the player and risk getting in trouble. Well that is obviously the last thing the NCAA wants represented in their game. So they took out the academics and suspensions.

That is the story I was always told. I'm sure someone else can further elaborate.

As for a work around all you can really do is bench a guy for a quarter or two for an imaginary suspension. But I am interested to hear if anyone else has tried to add their own personal discipline on players and what they judge it off of.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Discipline - why did they take that out?

If there was a way to update it, I'd go back to 07 on the PS2 in a heartbeat.

I would max out dynasty on that game no issue. I remember one team I had went to the NC one year, and I had multiple violations I let go, or just lightly disciplined because we were good. The next season was the same thing, and we got all to the NC again and my star RB (who caused nothing but trouble) got in trouble and was recommended to be suspended 2 games. I did nothing, and it put me over the violation limit or whatever it was called.

Long story short, I won the NC, but was sanctioned for 2 years with no bowls and less scholarships after I believe.

I think EA could work around this easily, by putting in a discipline rating to incoming recruits only. Players on the original roster would be locked with an A+ or whatever meaning they could get in no trouble as long as they were on the roster. Then only fake players (incoming recruits) would be able to have discipline issues.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

I LOVED discipline in the mid-2000's PS2 games. And I say that even though it could have been implemented much better, and it led to some realistic outcomes.

Discipline issues put pressure on you to manage your team properly, even if you ran a 5-star powerhouse. There was always that threat that you might end up on probation or a postseason ban. They took away scholarships and did a lot of the things you see for real discipline issues.

What I remember about it, though, was that I saw too many guys who had an "A" character rating getting into trouble. It would've been an easy fix, but it hurt the incentive system to recruit "clean" guys if they just started getting in trouble anyway.

I think the reasons why they had to stop are pretty obvious. Let's keep in mind that the NCAA made them take out fans rushing the field and tearing down the goalposts because of the message THAT sent. Not only did it hurt the image of the NCAA to have fictitious violations during the course of a dynasty, but they had to assign a pre-existing rating to programs and players ALREADY in the game, which was an obvious problem, even if it was a guy named QB #11 instead of Matt Leinart, or whatever.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
As long as it's not tied to that budget thing again then I could live with it. Otherwise leave it out.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

The NCAA isn't okay with discipline being a part of the game but they're okay with every team in the game oversigning and cutting excess players every season?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Rookie

bdawgdude's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
The NCAA isn't okay with discipline being a part of the game but they're okay with every team in the game oversigning and cutting excess players every season?
Touche.

But seriously, I bet they consider re-allowing it in next years game so that it properly reflects what is happening to PSU
Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Rookie

THE YAMA's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawgdude
Touche.

But seriously, I bet they consider re-allowing it in next years game so that it properly reflects what is happening to PSU
The NCAA will never again allow discipline in college games.
NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning
NCAA: UCF Knights
FIFA: Real Madrid CF

XBL Gamertag: THE YAMA

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »