Home

Tips on running the option

This is a discussion on Tips on running the option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Rookie

8mileroad's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Tips on running the option

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
How does a QB read the backside DE on this play. I assume you meant frontside, but...
Sorry, you're right.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Rookie

aspengc8's Arena

OVR: 1

Everyone is pretty much on point here. The incorrect blocking logic along with the fact the OL likes to double team the DT really messes up the midline & FB dive, which are your WORKHORSE plays. Without those to set up the triple, speed, load & misdirection.. well.. you can't really run the offense to its FULL POTENCY.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14

I've had decent success running zone reads and triple options out of the Shotgun and Pistol: Full House. One thing I've realized is if the D collapses at the ends, juke your QB toward the line. For example, if he's running toward the left sideline, juke him to the right. Obviously this works much better against DEs then LBs. This is most effective when I'm about 1-2 yards from a DE running downhill.
I would not recommend using the option as your main weapon this year thou, I usually use it to keep the D honest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Banned

Get a fast QB and run the load option to the empty side of the field out of twin WRs set. 10 yards every time as long as you get past the OLB on that side.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
Get a fast QB and run the load option to the empty side of the field out of twin WRs set. 10 yards every time as long as you get past the OLB on that side.
Right, but this is an example of the type of thing I've done for years to "succeed" at NCAA, and I don't want to do that because it feels cheap and repetitive. By contrast, the passing A.I. is much better this year, so I do feel like it's an organic experience when I drop back and read the coverage. It should be the same feel when running the option.

I have Michigan and Denard Robinson. Actually, Denard isn't really a true "option" quarterback, nor is he a "scrambler". RichRod-era Denard would essentially get the ball out of the shotgun and run at the line, kind of like a read option with no actual reading going on. Brady Hoke-era Denard runs a slightly more traditional offense, with more plays under center.

The point is, I'm not exactly sure how to use Denard in this game yet. There are about a total of 3 plays in the entire "Michigan" playbook that actually involve Denard running on his own. The rest are some type of option play, but if there's any type of outside blitz, the play is wrecked. Fortunately, they made him a good enough passer (and I scramble on the perimeter if nobody's open) that he's still useful.

I think the pre-snap read is critical to the option in this game. You can basically look at the formation and tell if the option's going to be broken or not. If you see a loose formation where the blockers won't immediately line up with the lineman/linebackers, just get out of it and run a dive play or something. Especially with the read or triple option (involving a fake handoff), the QB never gets up to speed in time to get around the edge, even if it's a fast QB who should be able to do that in real life.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Rookie

JoedicyMichael's Arena

OVR: 3

The only success Ive had with any option play is the Zone Read/Read Option. Ive studied quite a bit about the ZR/RO. I would suggest you go watch the "Fish Duck" tutorials to get some extra insight on it.

As someone stated earlier... In this game.. Its all about the DE. (With the Read Option) that is. No matter where he is.. The ball shouldn't be there. The Triple Option just blows. The blocking is sub par- and the QB/RB or whoever it may be thats your pitch man, just drags on along side you. Your better off pulling him by his face mask and making him run with you for all that matters.

I cant shed much light on the GT Offense, but i can say that PA and different formation sets will be your best friend.

It might be good to incorporate some of the offense into A Spread/Air Raid offense to stretch the defense and open up underneath running lanes. But it seems that the limited control over this game sucks the life outta having the GT Offense as a base offense/
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Right, but this is an example of the type of thing I've done for years to "succeed" at NCAA, and I don't want to do that because it feels cheap and repetitive.
LOL...it is VERY cheap. I was just responding to the title of the thread. If you want to run the triple option, just read the DE and if the DE stands up, hand the ball to the fullback. If he tackles the FB, pull the ball run the option with your HB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

as others have stated, you may want to consider running an oregon style zone read system as the game handles that decently this year. Look up www.fishduck.com if you want some good videos breaking down that system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »