Home

Tips on running the option

This is a discussion on Tips on running the option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Tips on running the option

A few friends & I are starting a 4 star OD, and I am going with Georgia Tech because I am fascinated with the option play after watching Nebraska run it for so many years as I grew up. The problem is...I am not very good at the option run. I am okay, but I feel like there is a bunch fo room for improvement. Does anybody have any tips on running this offense better?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Rookie

8mileroad's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Tips on running the option

Don't.

Seriously, don't. EA didn't program it right. In real life there are a set of reads for each play, and EA doesn't seem to know this.

I'll briefly explain them:
Midline Iso - QB reads the DT. If he collapses, the QB pulls it. If he doesn't, he hands off to the FB OVER THE ZERO HOLE. Unfortunately, you can't hand off over the zero hole this game, the FB just runs to the same hole that the QB would which is 1 or 2.
Triple Option - QB reads the backside DE. If he collapses, QB pulls it. If he doesn't, he hands off to the FB. The problem with this is, if you pull the ball out and start your option with your HB/WB, the DE tackles the QB half of the time which is entirely realistic. Also, the DE ends up getting blocked sometimes, too.
Veer Option - I'm not sure if this play is in the game, it might be called trap option or something, but it's basically a triple option (with the same reads) to the 3, 4, 5, or 6 hole. It doesn't work well for the same reason.

Another common issue is horrible pitch-man logic. He doesn't know the correct technique for trailing the QB, and you can't pitch it to him more than 5 or so yards downfield. Finally, it is almost impossible to run these options online due to lag. You have to make your reads extra early, before the play even develops, due to input lag.

For the non-option plays like jets, tosses, counters, and etc. good luck running those for more than 3 yards. Blocking just isn't good enough for that.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

OVR: 6
Location: Foothills of the Cascade Mountains in the great PacNW

Good luck. The option mechanics of the game do not work real well. Haven't found anyone that has been able to run the option the way it should be run. A couple of the plays can be run with success, but overall, I'm not sure you could base your offense on it with this game.

I enjoy playing Navy, but I went with a Pro style offense using alot of FB and QB runs to spread the running around. Working on a CPB to see what I can do help with the semi-option offense working.

Not to bash anything, just haven't seen anyone really run the option offense as it should be. And to me, the option offense is one of the great things about college football.

This thing called Twitter I do sometimes

What's your thoughts? It's a game.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

It isn't programed right in the game but I still CRUSH everyone with it. It's all about reads and setting up the PA deep ball. Just practice it for a little while and you'll be embarrassing kids.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the rest. Last year I made a Tom Osborne Nebraska playbook using mostly I that was nasty and worked incredible well (I used it with Clemson). I just tried remaking it for 13 and it is next to useless.

The blocking is weird between the tackles and it causes a lot of problems. Once you get outside the tackles, the option works well. The back tends to keep a better pitch relationship than years previous but everything else is hit or miss.

The I Triple option is brutal this year. If you run it to the TE side, the C-G blocks get confused and the G usually releases up field leaving the defensive tackle to blow up the FB before he gets started. And since the CPU DE stays home more often than not, that's a lot of negative plays. It gets better if you run away from the TE side, but not much. Flexbone is not much better.

If you're set on running option, do it from the Pistol or do it from Shotgun. I'm in the process of making a modernized version of Nebraska's old option offense out of Pistol/Gun sets (very similar to what we did last year) just because the under center stuff flat out doesn't work properly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

In NCAA13 the only read to make is the DE. I think they did something with DE logic to keep QBs from rolling out and getting 10 yards per play, like in prior years.

If the DE rushes, hand off to the FB or up back. There isn't any effective way to get around him and gain positive yards before the LBs or CBs come up. You can have a QB like RG3 and the DE will come off the tackle's block and sack him. It's like they warp to the edge.

If the DE drops back into a zone coverage or tries to cover the TE, you can get positive yardage on a pitch around the end, depending on what the CB is doing.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mileroad
Don't.

Seriously, don't. EA didn't program it right. In real life there are a set of reads for each play, and EA doesn't seem to know this.

I'll briefly explain them:
Midline Iso - QB reads the DT. If he collapses, the QB pulls it. If he doesn't, he hands off to the FB OVER THE ZERO HOLE. Unfortunately, you can't hand off over the zero hole this game, the FB just runs to the same hole that the QB would which is 1 or 2.
Triple Option - QB reads the backside DE. If he collapses, QB pulls it. If he doesn't, he hands off to the FB. The problem with this is, if you pull the ball out and start your option with your HB/WB, the DE tackles the QB half of the time which is entirely realistic. Also, the DE ends up getting blocked sometimes, too.
Veer Option - I'm not sure if this play is in the game, it might be called trap option or something, but it's basically a triple option (with the same reads) to the 3, 4, 5, or 6 hole. It doesn't work well for the same reason.

Another common issue is horrible pitch-man logic. He doesn't know the correct technique for trailing the QB, and you can't pitch it to him more than 5 or so yards downfield. Finally, it is almost impossible to run these options online due to lag. You have to make your reads extra early, before the play even develops, due to input lag.

For the non-option plays like jets, tosses, counters, and etc. good luck running those for more than 3 yards. Blocking just isn't good enough for that.
How does a QB read the backside DE on this play. I assume you meant frontside, but...
Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2

Pro tip: Take the playbook, switch it to another one and forget about the option completely. Seriously just don't run it. However if you successfully do run it, we should go to Vegas sometime.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »