Home

Reading the Defense

This is a discussion on Reading the Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Reading the Defense

Hey guys, was wondering if any of yas could help me out on this. I am loving the passing system in this years game, and having loads of fun with it. Was always a run first player with short passing routes mixed in, but this year im in the air all the time. Thought i was an air raid natural first few games untill i got into confernce play with some good defenses. I starterd throwing picks like crazy! Ive kept at it though and definatly gotten better, but my reason for this thread is im not sure what to look for pre snap. I mean i look for the blitz and where guys are aligned, but as far as having an idea of the coverage pre-snap im not sure exactly how it goes. Once i snap the ball i tend to figure it out pretty quick but if I had a better understanding of what cover2, cover3, cover4, man, man/zone combos, etc etc look like before i begin the play i think my passing game can improve greatly. Theres many times my terriable line gets ran over quick and with the very quick few seconds i have, i misread a LB or Safety on what i thought the coverage was and TOUCHDOWN.....for the other team haha. Anyway i know its not a perfect science and coverages can be masked, but any tips on how to get a general idea pre snap would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Rookie

pirateraider's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Reading the Defense

2 safeties over the top = cover 2 or 4
1 safety over the top = cover 1 or 3

corners shaded slightly inside receivers = zone
corners directly over receivers = man

if someone looks like they're gonna blitz, they probably are

thats usually the stuff i look for, and just know the route progressions in your play, don't be afraid to dump off to the running back
Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateraider

thats usually the stuff i look for, and just know the route progressions in your play, don't be afraid to dump off to the running back
Are you sure the corners tip you off this year?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
Are you sure the corners tip you off this year?
They do unless they are pressing while in zone. If they don't press they are for sure backed off the LOS about 5-7 yards. As for safeties this guy above is absolutely correct.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateraider

I personally love catching people with this. However, you are correct, if someone looks like they're coming, they probably are.

And agreed. Most people dont check down nearly enough

https://www.twitch.tv/ky3217
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd689
They do unless they are pressing while in zone. If they don't press they are for sure backed off the LOS about 5-7 yards. As for safeties this guy above is absolutely correct.
Right, but if they are pressing is there any tipoffs?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Rookie

Buckeye_Mafia's Arena

OVR: 1

Another thing, and this is probably old news to people, but the easiest way to figure out if its zone or man coverage is sending a receiver in motion. Two things about that though. First, it takes about 15 seconds to motion and the send the receive back (if you choose to do that). Second, don't just use motion on passing plays because that tips off the defense after a few series. I try to get to the LOS with atleast 25 seconds for motion, line adjustments, and audible/hot routes. Hope this helps...
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

One of my favorite moves when playing defense against human opponents is to call the defense I want to be in, immediately audible to something that disguises it and then before the snap hit Audible and Left Trigger to reset back to my original defense.

For example, if I want to be in off-man cover 1, I'll formation audible to cover 2 so my corners are up and i have a 2 safety look. Then before the snap, reset the play and watch my corners back off and my safety walk down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »