Home

Stopping the run: Need Help

This is a discussion on Stopping the run: Need Help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Stopping the run: Need Help

I can't stop the run to save my life. Does anyone know any tips that can help me out. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Stopping the run: Need Help

I think you might be in the minority here, most people are having trouble stopping the pass.

Would I do is play a lot of robber man defense, which basically lets the FS or SS control the middle of field. Come up in the box and make the tackle yourself. You can't rely on other defensive players because this years user defensive A.I is dumber than bricks, their reaction time is incredibly slow.

Also slant your d-line to strong side, make sure you have at least one guy containing the weak side just in case of a counter or audible.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

I have success using plays that include a spy like 3-4 even 2 man under.
MLB:New York Mets
NFL:San Francisco 49ers
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Just load up the box. Even if you aren't bringing blitzes to stop the run, if you put 7 or 8 guys in the box, they'll usually fly up the field and make a tackle. Defensive closing speed on run plays is insane this year, so if you get your guys close to the line, they can usually react pretty quick to run the play down.

As prototype said, you should manually handle outside contain in the run game. I love manually controlling a guy assigned to a spy or middle hook zone. That way I have no responsibilities in pass coverage and the CPU can handle pass D. If it is a pass play, just roam the middle of the field to take away crossers. If it is a run, slide outside with the run and handle outside contain, you want to force the runner back in where your CPU friends can take care of it. The CPU defends the interior run well but cannot defend the outside run at all. They take miserable angles.

If you're still struggling, start calling run blitzes. I run 425 most of the time and the double A gap blitz in 425 is a great run stopper. You can spread the DL, pinch the LB and essentially have a 6 man front.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

I have had problems stopping the run too. I have found that strafing and not using big hit or strip has helped me a lot. Also try to have sound pursuit angles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFOOT999
I have had problems stopping the run too. I have found that strafing and not using big hit or strip has helped me a lot. Also try to have sound pursuit angles.
That's another good one, the coaching adjustments actually do matter more this year. Aggressive strip/big hit on will leak to a TON of missed tackles. If your guys are in position but not tackling well, set that to conservative. If you're user tackling, just run right through the runner and use square to help out.

Big hit and strip is not helpful at all this year, I don't think I've stripped a single ball yet.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Rookie

Smile How do you shut down the run

How do you stop the run.

im in a dynasty.

there is a gut that plays with lsu who has won 2 straight national chamionships.

he runs penn state playbook

here are the plays he uses.

I formation power o and dive

In the shotgun he runs read option it kills everything.

only way i stop it is coming full speed with my safety and usering the qb.

i lost a game to go to the national championship vs him.

He drove down got to first downs running power and read option and kicked a game winner.

I held him to 70 yards rushing but in lost.

how do i just shut him down?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelhallman
I formation power o and dive
How do you stop the run?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »