Home

Being a Defensive Coordinator is Terrible..

This is a discussion on Being a Defensive Coordinator is Terrible.. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
Being a Defensive Coordinator is Terrible..

As much I enjoy this game, I've always felt being on offense is extremely easy. So, I decided to be a defensive coordinator, since I find it more fun and I always end up simming offense. But, it is by-far the most frustrating thing due to the programming of the game.

First off, defenders act as though they have 0 awareness...

On 3rd and whatever, the cpu runs a deep route and I'm in man coverage. The CB sticks with the WR until the ball is thrown. The WR stops 1 yard before going out the back of the end zone, but my CB runs through the back of the end zone, does a hard pivot, runs back in and doesn't even attempt to make a play on the ball on receiver.

Pretty much the same thing here. My CB is actually in front of the WR...ok, whatever. As the WR gets towards the sideline, he cuts up the field. But my CB runs out of bounds, high-5 the guys on the sideline, and then decides to come back to play. If it wasn't a dive catch, that could have been a potential touchdown.

Another frustrating thing is players taking themselves out of position to make a play on the ball...

Again, 3rd and whatever. I'm sitting in cover 2 and my LB is in PERFECT position to make a play on the ball. But he just continues to move to the side as the WR converts a long 3rd down. I find it funny that at 00:02, he LOOKS directly at the WR. I had another instance like that with my SS, but I wasn't able to save it.

So gameplay aside, the offense is also horrible. They take no time off the clock, nor do they seem to understand situations such as "milking the clock". But I'm not trying to flame the game, I just think this is something that should be looked at more in depth.

And on a side note, it was a fun game. I won 34-31 in OT forcing a fumble on the QB on the first play

2K IS A HELLUVA DRUG
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Being a Defensive Coordinator is Terrible..

When the AI wants to make a play, it will pull your defenders out of position to do it. Seen it a million times.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Rookie

pirateraider's Arena

OVR: 4

Defense is definitely the most challenging/frustrating part of this game. I can't stand when my defender is coming in on a ballcarrier, only for that runner to shift direction seamlessly (and unrealistically) and fly right by my tackler

That being said, when you shut an offense down, it feels truly magnificent
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8

I've learned to stop taking control of defenders when the ball is in the air.

The player doesn't always react when you hit "Y" or "LB" because they don't think your in position or something. I wish the game reacted to every button press immediately, I don't care if it causes a touchdown to be given up, at least then I know it was my mistake.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor
I've learned to stop taking control of defenders when the ball is in the air.

The player doesn't always react when you hit "Y" or "LB" because they don't think your in position or something. I wish the game reacted to every button press immediately, I don't care if it causes a touchdown to be given up, at least then I know it was my mistake.
Learned this the hard way when playing the demo. Even some passes on offense I like to shy away from. But with the state of the game right now, its either (A) be frustrated because I switched and know it was a bad idea or (B) be frustrated because the game is messing up.

I think it wouldn't be that big of an issue if the offense would actually use some football strategy

2K IS A HELLUVA DRUG
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

OVR: 5

The only one I can really throw an excuse at is the second one. In that one, you could attribute the DB's late cut to the fact that he's staring at the quarterback and probably didnt see the receiver cut up field.

Other than that, they're pretty bad

https://www.twitch.tv/ky3217
Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Rookie

Well lets say everything my CB did was wrong. He's in front AND under the WR. So many things the WR could do. I'm also not worried so much about the late cut, I'm more upset about him running out of bounds

2K IS A HELLUVA DRUG

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »