Home

Long Ball Still Works...

This is a discussion on Long Ball Still Works... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Rookie

CyHawk's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Long Ball Still Works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
We've played the game.

Have you tried adjusting the CPU Pass Coverage slider dramatically? Mine is at 85 for the CPU on Heisman and I'm not seeing the issue as much as everyone else. Maybe 1-2 times a game a guy will be open on a streak. Other than that, he's usually covered.
I'll give that a shot man. Hopefully it helps solve the problem a little. Honestly I just avoid throwing the deep ball so Its not affecting me all too much, just one of my friends in our OD is abusing it and it's getting old. Thanks for the help.
NBA: Chris Paul

Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
Banned

MarylandMan's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by der juicen
I guess three online dynasties (one that I run personally), nearly 80 ranked games and a handful of unranked, obviously I am just in a long term dream and have not actually played a game.

Though I do run the ball more than pass and I see people bitching about that every so often, maybe I am just delusional.

Or you're an idiot.
This is why we hate you.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 9

Its the method in which the long ball succeeds and not the fact that it succeeds which is the problem.

I was playing a game in Road to Glory yesterday ... The WR is running a streak route ... The CB trails him for about 10 yards and literally runs in a big circle ... Meanwhile the safety doesn't move after the snap, and the linebackers drop back and there are three defenders standing within 2 yards of eachother in the middle of the field. I throw a bullet uncontested because everyone stood around while this WR goes un-defended down the field. Its plays like that which happen too frequently, WR going uncontested for long TDs. It's not like they are simply burning CBs who maybe messed up coverage and fell a few steps behind or simply got burned.

Its the overall lapses in judgement...
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

1) Is the long ball apart of football IRL? Of course it is...

2) Does the long ball work properly on NCAA 13? Of course it does...

3) Is safety play implemented properly on NCAA 13? No way!!!

Anybody that disputes this is doing nothing more than their best EA fan boy impersonations!!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

People complaining about 4 Verts-You do know 4 verts is used to combat Cover 2 and Cover 3 by isolating one of or the one safety and throwing a 15-20 bullet pass usually to an inside reciever? Not an everybody go deep and lob pass 60 yards downfield? But people complaining are correct that the long ball is too easy, but it is due to the quarterbacks having too strong of an arm and the ball being able to get to the recievers much too quickly. IRL unless your quarterback has a cannon and/or your reciever will go get the ball, you should be afraid of throwing downfield, but since the ball gets to recievers too quickly downfield in the game, anyone can throw deep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is very difficult to maturbate to,lol
Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpartans11
People complaining about 4 Verts-You do know 4 verts is used to combat Cover 2 and Cover 3 by isolating one of or the one safety and throwing a 15-20 bullet pass usually to an inside reciever? Not an everybody go deep and lob pass 60 yards downfield? But people complaining are correct that the long ball is too easy, but it is due to the quarterbacks having too strong of an arm and the ball being able to get to the recievers much too quickly. IRL unless your quarterback has a cannon and/or your reciever will go get the ball, you should be afraid of throwing downfield, but since the ball gets to recievers too quickly downfield in the game, anyone can throw deep.
I think you hit on a couple of the problems there...

Generally, I think the passing game is excellent, and SO much better than in years past. Precision passing (choosing where the ball goes) is a huge part of that, and there is actually a skill now to finding an receiver with space, and leading him to that area. Awesome.

But there's a still a cheeser aspect to the long ball, especially the Hail Mary, that kind of cheapens the game, IMO. I've run a play several times where I score from my own 20 with like 8 seconds left and win the game. The defense properly sets up in prevent, and throws tons of safeties back there. But when the play starts out, they don't keep the receivers in front of them. I don't understand why you run that sort of defense and they allow ANY receiver to get behind them. Not only does my guy sneak behind them and catch the ball, but has been able to run IN STRIDE for 20 more yards and the score. That can't happen.

And the second part of it is the depth/accuracy/speed of the long ball. The trajectory of the ball feels right to me, but again, it seems like the defense is setting up for "this guy can't throw it over our heads", and then when he does, it's a wide open TD.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyHawk
Just ignore these people dude, they clearly haven't played the game. You have a legit point. I have the same issue and its starting to kill the game for me, at any point in the game you can run 4 verticals and one of your players will be wide open. It's sad that I have to avoid plays in my playbook in order to not feel like I am cheating the game.
Right. I certainly hasn't "killed the game for me yet", but that's my concern. It seems like I struggle to run a traditional offense at times, and then when I have to play catchup, here's this "win" play I can call, and I wonder "Hmm, shouldn't I be trying this more often?"

I feel like if you had decent flankers, and a strong armed QB with some mobility, you could just run a vert play every down and if you don't spot anyone WIDE open on that play, just scramble for a few and do it for two more downs. I feel like that could work, and that's not good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »