Home

The annual storylines that never seem to go away.

This is a discussion on The annual storylines that never seem to go away. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
The annual storylines that never seem to go away.

I'm loving the game. Don't get me wrong. But I feel the need to almost rent a Good Year Blimp to fly around Orlando with an electronic sign flashing these issues so that they somehow don't get forgotten or lost as they seem to have been annually.

1. Pass Interference: The Missing Penalty. Nevermind the fact that penalty sliders, for the most part, are completely ineffective. Pass Interference is like Bigfoot. Some folks have sworn they saw it. Others call those people crazy. Regardless...it's a mystical flag that our fathers tell us about seeing or old schmucks like myself when we saw it on Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis.

2. Triple Option: The Impossible Offense (by CPU Offensive Coordinator) Georgia Tech is an easy win. Navy is an easy win. 95 Nebraska would be an easy win in the NCAA Football series when controlled by the CPU AI. This offense has been touted as being "improved" every year and every year we hold this offense to 47 rushes for 34 yards. Wonky and Wacky option pitches, slowed down, sped up, and slowed down again QB run animations.

We long for the day when we see truly competent AI from a Wishbone wielding CPU offense.

3. Avoiding 17 sacks a game: Screens and You, by Jack Handy - Thanks a ton to the guys for GREATLY decreasing the 15 sack games after the patch. The problem is...this was done by basically taking the screen game out of most CPU AI offensive playcalling.

The preference would be to have the CPU actually be able to A)complete a screen in a timely, effective manner B)see the screen is covered or the pressure is coming and throw it away or C)run like the devil is chasing him.

4. What's the difference between a 95 rated DE and a 65 rated DE? Line play has been a major bugaboo in this series for years. Quite frankly...line ratings have meant very little. 95 rated Defensive Ends get stonewalled regularly by 70 rated tackles. By that same token, 65 rated Defensive Ends blow right by 95 rated Offensive tackles. It basically tells the Human player through the current actions that how a DE performs means very little in regards to their ratings and more in line with whether or not it's the OT's "turn" to simply whiff on a block or turn and let them through matador style.

Truly legitimate ratings play on the line would be a game changer IMO. If I built up a defensive line of 90+ rated studs all across the line and I am facing an offensive line of 60s and 70s....I should rarely (if ever) have to bring more than my 4 man front for pressure.

If I have a 98 rated DT...I should see him getting double teamed constantly...freeing up one of my teammates for some quick pressure.

By that same token..if I have a deep and talented offensive line..I should pave the way for my backs and destroy lesser lines.

At the moment..it feels completely random with no real regard to what the actual ratings of the players are when engaged.

I bring these up because I'm a fan. I'm not sure if they are buried in obscurity or simply forgotten...but the problems I have stated have been major major issues for years that simply never seem to make their way to the arena of being fixed.

Here is to hoping that changes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Rookie

The ArkanSaw's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: The annual storylines that never seem to go away.

Agree 100% also dont forget that the cpu cant run a read option correctly and the QB runs with the ball 80% of the time.

It is very bad when CPU running backs have a hole for a TD and they just run into a tackler for no reason...Im done with the game personally and it is too much of a choir to get this game working right. GL dude im glad your enjoying the game.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Rookie

The ArkanSaw's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni

Lol changes...I guarantee next year the promotion of the game will be "All new Line Interaction, for more realistic fights up front". It will be some gimmick that will be so great to finally have in NCAA just so we can Beta Test another years game...

Line play has ben bad for 20 years, if they dont get it by now...they never will.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
It's sad how pathetic ea really is.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Personally, I do really like the game. We have some sliders we are pretty happy with in the Legends league and I think, overall, it's a fun game of football.

I just feel like there are particular flaws that seem to plague the series every year. They've made great strides in other areas (i.e. the CPU QB scrambling from pressure, CPU HB AI using special moves, and this year BIG imrpovement in the WR/DB interactions, etc.)

They've made strides. They just need to continue to make strides and these areas should be at the top of the list after so many years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Good list, my core beef you touched on which is outside of the simming, ratings at too many positions are either meaningless or next to it. I sim a large number of games or parts thereof so I have to recruit well, but if I played the games, I think I'd only manually draft skill positions on offense and would let the CPU handle the rest because most of the remainder don't play to ratings.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
I'm loving the game. Don't get me wrong. But I feel the need to almost rent a Good Year Blimp to fly around Orlando with an electronic sign flashing these issues so that they somehow don't get forgotten or lost as they seem to have been annually.

1. Pass Interference: The Missing Penalty. Nevermind the fact that penalty sliders, for the most part, are completely ineffective. Pass Interference is like Bigfoot. Some folks have sworn they saw it. Others call those people crazy. Regardless...it's a mystical flag that our fathers tell us about seeing or old schmucks like myself when we saw it on Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis.

2. Triple Option: The Impossible Offense (by CPU Offensive Coordinator) Georgia Tech is an easy win. Navy is an easy win. 95 Nebraska would be an easy win in the NCAA Football series when controlled by the CPU AI. This offense has been touted as being "improved" every year and every year we hold this offense to 47 rushes for 34 yards. Wonky and Wacky option pitches, slowed down, sped up, and slowed down again QB run animations.

We long for the day when we see truly competent AI from a Wishbone wielding CPU offense.

3. Avoiding 17 sacks a game: Screens and You, by Jack Handy - Thanks a ton to the guys for GREATLY decreasing the 15 sack games after the patch. The problem is...this was done by basically taking the screen game out of most CPU AI offensive playcalling.

The preference would be to have the CPU actually be able to A)complete a screen in a timely, effective manner B)see the screen is covered or the pressure is coming and throw it away or C)run like the devil is chasing him.

4. What's the difference between a 95 rated DE and a 65 rated DE? Line play has been a major bugaboo in this series for years. Quite frankly...line ratings have meant very little. 95 rated Defensive Ends get stonewalled regularly by 70 rated tackles. By that same token, 65 rated Defensive Ends blow right by 95 rated Offensive tackles. It basically tells the Human player through the current actions that how a DE performs means very little in regards to their ratings and more in line with whether or not it's the OT's "turn" to simply whiff on a block or turn and let them through matador style.

Truly legitimate ratings play on the line would be a game changer IMO. If I built up a defensive line of 90+ rated studs all across the line and I am facing an offensive line of 60s and 70s....I should rarely (if ever) have to bring more than my 4 man front for pressure.

If I have a 98 rated DT...I should see him getting double teamed constantly...freeing up one of my teammates for some quick pressure.

By that same token..if I have a deep and talented offensive line..I should pave the way for my backs and destroy lesser lines.

At the moment..it feels completely random with no real regard to what the actual ratings of the players are when engaged.

I bring these up because I'm a fan. I'm not sure if they are buried in obscurity or simply forgotten...but the problems I have stated have been major major issues for years that simply never seem to make their way to the arena of being fixed.

The sad thing is if you pop in an NCAA from the end of the PS2-era all these things are there. I don't understand how they have regressed on the next-gen consoles.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

yeah I wish the option was a little better and also I feel like o-linemen ratings mean nothing either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »