Home

Help with the Triple Option

This is a discussion on Help with the Triple Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Help with the Triple Option

Hello everyone, I am an avid player of NCAA football 2013 both online and at home against family, especially when I am running my favorite offense, the triple option. I am new to posting on here and didnt see any other threads on this so sorry if this is a repeat.

However I have become increasingly annoyed with playing online as the triple option seems not effective in any way I choose to run it. Problems I have been having:

-Opponents who will blitz every single play with press coverage, even if the blitz gets picked up no WR EVER seems to get open and no matter what the option play there is never any blocking. This is the biggest issue and the one that annoys me most since it is quite unrealistic that defense who blitzes 5-7 guys a play would not get burned by certain option plays.

As far as i am concerned the flexbone is useless and army and air forces playbooks do okay but still struggle alot. This isnt a complain about the game thread, but more so can anyone else on here who runs the triple option give me any advice or tips as to how to beat people who do this? Not calling it cheese but I do find it highly unlikely that someone can blitz every play against the option and never get burned. Thanks for your advice guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Pro

If you go over to the NCAA utopia site there lots of advice in the strategy section for running variations of the option.If you play coach mode style there isn't much point.
Warriors
Sharks
Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Help with the Triple Option

Here's a few tips from another avid Triple option fan.

1. Run to set up the pass. Yes, easy right? Even though you want to be an option team, you should really only be running it 25% of the time in your offense. You have to build a rhythm first. If you start seeing tons of blitzers, call a slant play, or stretch the ball downfield. Even if it's incomplete it will at least tell the other player that you aren't afraid to go vertical on them and hopefully back some of their guys out of the box.

2. You will most likely use your QB or FB 80% of the time on triples. I'm assuming you know how to read the defense on when to keep and when to hand off. Use some of the triple option packages out of shotgun (see AirForces playbook).

3. Use play action, a lot. It works. Sure, you might get sacked a few times but don't give up hope. It's an easy way to get your FB or your TE out in the open. Use "Set up" plays when it tells you to. I have been sacked and picked using this, but for the most part there is always a guy flying wide open, either in the flat or downfield.

4. Use motion to see what defense they're in. Or use it to clear the area for a great slant pass.

5. Be patient. You're gonna lose yards. You're gonna gain yards. It's all about tempo and controlling the LOS. 4 yards/carry is going to take you a long way.

6. Be stellar on Defense. This offense isn't the best at catching up on the scoreboard. Learn your defense well, make it better than your offense.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Rookie

Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Pro

Haze88's Arena

I don't run it much out of flexbone, but mostly from a spread look, but is anyone having problems with a lack of responsiveness when pressing the pitch button and getting locked in the "well it's too late now"-type animation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Rookie

prd689's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
I don't run it much out of flexbone, but mostly from a spread look, but is anyone having problems with a lack of responsiveness when pressing the pitch button and getting locked in the "well it's too late now"-type animation.
Yes. I'm not sure if it has to do with the AWR of your QB or their year or something. I had a Senior who could pitch while he was getting hit and now have a Junior that I have to pitch the ball 3 yards away from a defender in order to do it.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

I've been playing NCAA since the series first came out and this is the hardest it's ever been to run the option.

It's almost impossible to run a traditional option offense like Navy, Air Force, Ga. Tech, etc.

I think it has to do with the programming. The plays get blown up really fast.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Rookie

ncaajunkie's Arena

OVR: 2

Sent you a private message

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »