Home

Trouble pounding the rock

This is a discussion on Trouble pounding the rock within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Trouble pounding the rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa13
Your an idiot I gave advice didn't ask you to tell me running for over 1,000 yards every season does NOT work when I obviously have success. Feel free to give advice next time and not your opinion on someone else's. Pancake stats are important as there are offensive line awards.
Well, you'll be banned soon enough, but while you're here.

Slide protection DOES NOT work in the run game. That isn't opinion, that is fact. Run the same play three times in a row, one with slide protection left, one with slide protection right, one with no slide protection whatsoever. You know what happens? Absolutely nothing. The offensive line does the exact same thing, regardless of what inputs you feel you're making.

Also, pancake stats are NOT a recorded stat in real life college football, so I do not care about it in the game. If you want pancake blocks in NCAA 13, crank that run block slider up to 65 and you'll see a ton... but it will make the human run game so ungodly easy you could run for 6,000 yards in a season with very little opposition. Go to the official box score of ANY college football game you want and you will not find pancake blocks on it. "Pancake" blocks are generally recorded by a GA or video intern who break down the film immediately after the game because many teams use it to grade out their individual offensive line performance. It has never been an official stat, it never will be.

Nebraska under Tom Osborne put a lot of stock into pancake blocks though, obviously, given our offensive style. We graded out our line via pancake blocks and a few other variables. Guys like Aaron Graham had nearly 400 pancake blocks in the span of a career. Someone like Dominic Raiola who is still the starting center for the Detroit Lions averaged 13 pancake blocks a game. Those are media guide stats though, not official ones.

Last edited by PowerofRed25; 09-20-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

My biggest gripe with the running game is how useless lead blockers seem to be. Often when I have a fullback or pulling guard leading me through the hole they'll run right past a defender and leave me with nowhere to go. It's frustrating to get stopped for a two yard gain and see 2-3 guys downfield blocking air. And the fact that sprinting causes defenders to magically disengage from blockers is also annoying.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
Rookie

DMil55's Arena

Yeah the psychic defenders really annoy me, CB on the opposite side of the field magically knows its a running play as soon as i hit turbo?
New York Yankees

" WIN THE DAY "
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa13
Your an idiot I gave advice didn't ask you to tell me running for over 1,000 yards every season does NOT work when I obviously have success. Feel free to give advice next time and not your opinion on someone else's. Pancake stats are important as there are offensive line awards.
You may have rushed for over 1000 yards every season, but it had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with slide protection as it doesn't work on running plays (although it's possible that it does something on draws since the line starts out pass blocking, but I've never tested that). I have tested it on normal runs and can say with 99% confidence that it doesn't affect running plays at all.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6

Try draw plays, they seem to work really well. I-formation draw plays work the best as your FB will get to a LB. Just don't get hung up on one of your lineman.

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMil55
Yeah the psychic defenders really annoy me, CB on the opposite side of the field magically knows its a running play as soon as i hit turbo?
It really makes outside running difficult. The ends and linebackers are often able to disengage so quickly that without using the turbo you'll get run down. But if you use the turbo then every defender seems to disengage and then you just have to hope you can outrun them. And that's assuming the corner gets blocked at all. The WR's often seem to just ignore the corners and can be seen running downfield to block the safety while the corner gets into the backfield. The inside running game is more consistent in terms of your blocking holding up, but then you run into the problem of getting stuck on the back of your linemen if the hole isn't huge. I really think the run blocking has taken a step back in this year's game. I can grind out yards, but even against weak defenses the run blocking leaves something to be desired.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

The secret to running, at least on Heisman, is to not count on pulling guards or your FB. They run right past the defender right in front of them, then immediately turn and get in the way.

I'd like to take my game to the developers, have them sit right next to me, and listen to them try to explain why with 2 lead blockers, no one gets blocked at the point of attack EVER. Not even occasionally.

The FB will have an ISO play, hole in the line, just him vs. the LB and he'll completely not even whiff, not make contact, but immediately turn around like "oops!". Pulling linemen never block defenders coming across their face (football 101). It's a total waste, and the developer would have NOTHING to say. There's no explaining it, there's no excuse, it's just plain garbage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
Rookie

DMil55's Arena

I agree, thats exactly how the run game goes for me ive recently been able to up my avg rush ypg to over 100 ypg but my RB will only get about 90 yds off about 15-20 carries which is nowhere what I need to be able to rely on my run game
New York Yankees

" WIN THE DAY "

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »