Home

Improving your "Playing Style" pitch

This is a discussion on Improving your "Playing Style" pitch within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Improving your "Playing Style" pitch

Here's a guide on how to improve your "Playing Style" pitch in recruiting.

First, some basics:
  1. All players on the depth chart for that position count in the stats. For example, your #2 HB is also your #3 FB. His rushing yards count for both RB and FB playing style. Or your #1 LDE is also your #4 DT. Again, his stats will count for both DE and DT playing styles.
  2. The offensive skill positions are not split into their separate tendencies. The Playing Style rating for HB, FB, WR, and TE are all governed by one statistic for their respective positions. Speed, Balanced, and Power/Blocking/Possession tendencies for recruits all fall under the blanket Play Style for the position.
  3. On defense, Total Tackles and Assisted Tackles are meaningless. Only Solo Tackles count.
  4. All "Balanced" tendencies are the average of the two other position stats taken into account. For a Balanced QB, it is passing yards per game + QB rushing yards per game divided by 2. For a Balanced LB, it is Solo Tackles + Interceptions divided by 2. All the numbers are rounded down. 191.5 is 191, 17.5 is 17.
  5. The "cutoff point" for each grade fluctuates week-to-week, depending on what the rest of the NCAA is doing. In Week 6 of my offline dynasty, an A+ rating for a scrambling QB was averaging over 100 yards rushing per game, though by Week 12, that A+ cutoff had dropped into the high 80's.
For most positions, the stats are fairly self explanatory, and improving the pitch is simply increasing your numbers per game in that stat. Remember, the stats for all players on the depth chart at the position are added into the Playing Style pitch rating, except for the offensive line. The numbers required for an A+ will change week-to-week and year-to-year, but these have been reliable baselines for me on what will give me a high A or an A+ by the end of the season and into the offseason.

Pocket QB = Passing yards per game; 310+ is generally good for a high A or A+

Balanced QB = Passing yards per game + rushing yards per game/2; 175+ for A or A+

Scrambling QB = Rushing yards per game; 75+ for A or A+

HB & FB = Combined rushing yards for the position; 250+ YPG for A/A+ HB, 125+ YPG for A/A+ FB
* One reason why you will likely see the Playing Style grade cutoffs so high for FB's is because more often than not the #2 or #3 FB for a CPU team is the #1 or #2 RB.

WR & TE = Combined receiving yards for the position; 280+ YPG for A/A+ WR, 100+ YPG for A/A+ TE

Pass Block OL = Passing YPG; 310+ YPG for A/A+

Balanced OL = Passing YPG + Rushing YPG/2; 240+ for A/A+

Run Block OL = Rushing YPG; 250+ YPG for A/A+

Pass Rush DE/DT = Combined Sacks; 1 SPG for A, 1.25+ SPG for A+

Balanced DE/DT = Sacks + Solo Tackles/2; 3+ AVG/G for A/A+

Run Stop DE/DT = Solo Tackles; 4+ TPG for A/A+

Coverage OLB/MLB/CB/FS/SS = Combined Interceptions; .33 INT/G for A/A+ for LB's, 1 for CB's, .5 for S's

Balanced OLB/MLB/CB/FS/SS = Interceptions + Solo Tackles/2; 3+ AVG/G

Run Stop/Hard Hitting OLB/MLB/CB/FS/SS = Solo Tackles; 6+ TPG for A/A+ for LB's/CB's, 4 for FS's, 5 for SS's

Now, the way the stats are calculated (depth chart instead of true position) means that the system can easily be abused to increase your totals and therefore the Play Style rating in recruiting.

Feel free to share your thoughts and results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
MVP

speedy43's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Improving your "Playing Style" pitch

Well, yeah.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

very interesting. I just started my dynasty so this is great info.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

So turnovers for skill positions don't matter? If I throw for 350 yards but 10 picks, my pitch will still be an A+?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlake_88
So turnovers for skill positions don't matter? If I throw for 350 yards but 10 picks, my pitch will still be an A+?
yes, The game doesn't care about offensive players throwing picks and fumbling.
I had a season where I threw more picks than TD passes and my qb pitch was still A+

PS3 NCAA 2014 Dynasty - Rags to Riches Online Dynasty - South Alabama
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

I'll have to pay more attention to my backups then. Might want to put my #1 WR as the #3 TE now...
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »