Home

Skills to look for - Run Heavy Offense

This is a discussion on Skills to look for - Run Heavy Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Skills to look for - Run Heavy Offense

Hey guys,

My brother just brought me NCAA 13 whilst on a recent US trip (you can't buy the game here in Australia) and I'm looking for some assistance and guides.

I've been quite heavily playing HC09 which has helped me build up a lot of my knowledge on football (before playing HC09 I had no idea).

So, to my questions, I want to play a traditional run heavy game. An I-form with a FB, TE and 2 WRs. I want my QB to throw when needed but to be a field general of sorts, and to sit in the pocket. I'm thinking throw power and accuracy are big. I want big receivers (6ft+ WRs and 6'4+ TEs) who run short routes for 5-10 yard gains.

Essentially, I want to be a grinding team on offense.

So, what would you guys think I should look for as major attributes for my players?

Now, on defense I have no idea. Again, I want a physical team. I've heard blitzing in ineffective in the game and you get better results in cover schemes.

And of final note, I plan on making my dynasty coach mode only. I tried playing a game and completely suck. Even at very slow speed it just takes me too long to make reads and execute moves. Plus HC09 has just been a godsend in gameplay by introducing me to coach mode. I love coach modes now

So anyway guys, I hope you can help me out. Feel free to PM me if that is easier.

Cheers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Rookie

cubsfan128's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Skills to look for - Run Heavy Offense

I've never ran a run heavy offense but here are a few things you should look for:

- Fullback with good carrying attribute, good break tackle, etc.
- Tightends with good run blocking
- Recievers with good run blocking
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Rookie

aerovt's Arena

OVR: 3

Ideally you'd want your FB, TE and all you're OL to have high 'Run Block' ratings, and a HB with good 'Break Tackle' and 'Trucking'. Assuming you'll do most of your passes off of play action, you'd want your TE's and WR's to have good catching and catch in traffic.

That said, the blocking logic in this years game is all screwy. You might as well count on any pulling linemen or fullbacks not to block anyone until the second level-- even if they have a defender right in front of them they'll ignore them a lot of times. I'd almost recommend running a 'one back' system this year instead (ie no full back).

Dont get me wrong, when your FB does actually block a defender, its beautiful and you can get some big yards. But running from a more spread out formation seems almost more consistent this year than power running.

Sadly, I think this was done as a lot of people complained about the power run game last year, so as usual EA over did it and went the other direction too far. With the right players though, you can get a pretty decent running game. If you're playing the AI you might want to consider lowering CPU tackling as on default even HBs with 99s for break tackle are easily taken down by little CPU DB's

Last edited by aerovt; 10-01-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Pro

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. Although hearing about the blocking limitations and the reduced effectiveness of power running has kind of disappointed me.

I'll be playing purely a coach mode (CPU vs CPU) so I wonder if those blocking limitations will be even more pronounced. Having said that, I've noticed some slider sets specifically created for CPU vs CPU gameplay.

I like the suggestion that run blocking is key. I had a feeling that was the case. I'm wondering also, whether it is better to have athletic, physically gifted WRs as opposed to technically sound (good route running and catch in traffic, etc) attributes.

I hope I can utilize a fullback though. I want some bone crushing blocks laid onto fools with my fullbacks.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Run Blocking, Strength, Impact Blocking
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Tarek
im from the UK and in a similar situation, im better at being a gm/coach on xbox with madden because my stick skills suck. i got hc06 and madden 08 for pc and bought a ps3 for hc09 and ncaa 13.

i bet you have an afl/rugby background. im biased to run heavy/west coast on offence and lb heavy stuff the run and make them pass defence. i have formations with 2fbs/3tes or 3t/3gs etc. everyone knows im going to run but i call it fat boy offence, and its a rolling maul.

speed/acc/prc/awr on defence
Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
Tarek
im from the UK and in a similar situation, im better at being a gm/coach on xbox with madden because my stick skills suck. i got hc06 and madden 08 for pc and bought a ps3 for hc09 and ncaa 13.

i bet you have an afl/rugby background. im biased to run heavy/west coast on offence and lb heavy stuff the run and make them pass defence. i have formations with 2fbs/3tes or 3t/3gs etc. everyone knows im going to run but i call it fat boy offence, and its a rolling maul.

speed/acc/prc/awr on defence
Mate,

I think you're right with the rugby background. That's probably why I enjoy the run game more. I'm sure if I were an AFL fan I'd be more inclined to the aerial/pass game.

My stick skills are terrible and I too have been enjoying HC09 tremendously. I hope NCAA 13 fills the need too, especially in coach mode.

Thanks for the tips. I certainly will be looking for those attributes. You mention some of the skills for defence, so what kind of defensive scheme/system do you run? Have you got any favorite and go to plays?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

well i have custom playbooks. on offence i dont have any screens but thats probably because i get sacked using them on madden, no option. slants, crossing, pa, draws, runs etc. i form tackle over normally is this i think

TE2 LG C RG RT LT TE1 WR1
QB
FB
HB

Now i also use formation subs a lot, one to put certain attributes on the field or on Special teams to give non starters some playing time and avoid injuries.

in the above formation iirc TE2 swopped for LT2 or some OL backup, best OL spare with spd/agi/awr/rbk to TE1 and best RBK spd/agi/awr TE to WR1. now i might swop G/Ts depending who has best RBK/agi/spd/awr. its obvious im going to run but depending what their line up is you can audible to something like i form iso with fat boys.

as for defence, i play 3-4 and prefer lbs to dl. i stuff the run and make them pass. so coverage dbs is key.

i play 3-3-5 stack/4-2-5 normal versus option teams. 3-4/2-4-5/2-3-6/1-5-5 most of the time. depends on roster. prefer to play 2 deep man, but changing who is in hook or buzz or where pressure comes from.

mlbs for me need awr/prc/mcv/spd, olbs need spd/acc/awr. str/pmv on dline.

my starting rolb is actually a lolb 72 but they have higher awareness than my 77 rolb due to that awareness. you need to know who is on the field in each package and your depth chart.

nickel normal varies from 4-2-5 because the extra db is a cb in nickel and ss in 4-2-5. same with nickel 3-3-5 and 3-3-5 across

so setting up your depth chart (check awr drop for out of position) is important and then overlaying with formation subs. and depending on personnel doing the lb rush package in qtr defences may be an option.

stuff like that. my gf calls it fraculating, hours in from of the screen setting up the depth chart and subs each season. then again she does similar for skyrim

doesnt matter what game although some allow my penchant for fraculating, hc06/madden 08/hc09 etc. also depends on mantra, college throw the ball, regardless of sliders. my sliders assume thats what will happen, ARTs iirc. so stuff the run, force the pass, pressure the qb, commit to pass defence 3rd down. i might get only 2-3 sacks and no knockdowns but the 23 hurries mean im scaring him

im too old for stick skills, i was too old when decathlon came out for a pc at when you had to hit 5 keys for pole vault in 1985-6, took me 6 months to get over the lowest bar !

and as for rugby, the southern hemisphere refs and their let the game flow ignore forward passes id have thought you prefer passing to runs, its us poms who like to stuff it up the jumper (well some like northamption fans like me)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »