Home

RECRUITS WITH RATINGS THAT MAKE NO SENSE

This is a discussion on RECRUITS WITH RATINGS THAT MAKE NO SENSE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Banned

football200414's Arena

OVR: 9
RECRUITS WITH RATINGS THAT MAKE NO SENSE

I'm anyone that has played the dynasty mode long enough has came across that has ratings that don't really make any sense. For example, I'm recruiting this ATH now that has the following ratings:

Overall - 73 (+3)
Speed - 95
Acceleration - 84
Catching - 56
Catch in Traffic - 86
Route Running - 94
Release - 82
Break Tackle - 71
Carrying - 78
Break Tackle - 71

Now if I sign him I'll probably see what he grades out better as WR or HB. For HB he has good carrying, break tackle, and speed but his moves for a HB are terrible (mostly 50's). He would be an unbelievable WR with every attribute except his catching. That's what really makes zero sense to me, he has awful hands unless someones about to rock his world??? He miraculously has Cris Carter hands if he's getting blind-sided??? Doesn't make sense that he compete for jump balls and catch through contact but can't catch in open field. Am I the only one who has seen recruits like this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Rookie

The Program's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: RECRUITS WITH RATINGS THAT MAKE NO SENSE

I think the main part your missing there is that he is an athlete.... Meaning, he has good skills and build. But lacks the total package for a single position. Make him a WR, Catch Rating moves up the fastest. While Route Running, Spectacular Catch and Release move up very little. Most athletes recruited to D-1 schools have pure talent that just needs to rounded.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Banned

football200414's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Program
I think the main part your missing there is that he is an athlete.... Meaning, he has good skills and build. But lacks the total package for a single position. Make him a WR, Catch Rating moves up the fastest. While Route Running, Spectacular Catch and Release move up very little. Most athletes recruited to D-1 schools have pure talent that just needs to rounded.
I get that and that's what I'm doing, but you're missing the point. The point is no one catches the ball better in traffic than they do in open field. He's an All-American WR with regards to catching the ball in traffic but has the hands of an OL in open field - that makes no sense. My point is the logic used when creating some of the recruits is ridiculous.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

Well I dont know exactly how ea's formulas work on the field and have never really tried a player like that I cant be sure but looking that I feel cit should basically be a modifier for the xatch rating so then what you should have is a guy with bad hands who is not all that effected by getting hit or in otherwords wide open he may catch 5 of 10 passes but on those same 10 if he is hit he may only catch 4 whereas with high catch and low cit it shoyld be so open he may catch 8 out of 10 but getting hit maybe then drop to 4, dropping half those because of contact.

I dont know how it does work but that is how I think it should
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by football200414
I get that and that's what I'm doing, but you're missing the point. The point is no one catches the ball better in traffic than they do in open field. He's an All-American WR with regards to catching the ball in traffic but has the hands of an OL in open field - that makes no sense. My point is the logic used when creating some of the recruits is ridiculous.
Not ridiculous just random. They use floors and ceilings for every attribute for each archetype player they create. You just wound up getting a recruit that was damn near the floor in CAT and the ceiling in CIT.

This used to be a huge issue a couple years ago (NCAA 2011 if memory serves me right) where attributes were extremely sporadic. Last year they reined them in and put proper floors and ceilings to the attribute generation code. To check the prevalence of the issue I looked at a sim roster file I have that has the league rosters in 2017. At this point all players are computer generated. I found two players who had CAT over 78 and CIT under 60.

This isn't a glitch or bad coding (statistically), you just found an odd ball who loves contact and crossing pattern but will probably never catch a fly pattern.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17

Make him a tight end!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Banned

football200414's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN - BRAVES FAN
Make him a tight end!
Why would I want to do that when he can't block to save his life and is weak as a kitten. Only cheesers move WR to TE because of speed. He's going to be a WR. Furthermore, I never questioned where to put him. I questioned the logic the game uses to assign ratings. Thanks to you other guys for your answers. The one who suggested they may used as modifiers made perfect sense & I'd put money on it that he's right. Kind of like the spin, juke, etc only being modifiers for running backs with reference to tendency more than ability.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by football200414
Why would I want to do that when he can't block to save his life and is weak as a kitten. Only cheesers move WR to TE because of speed. He's going to be a WR. Furthermore, I never questioned where to put him. I questioned the logic the game uses to assign ratings. Thanks to you other guys for your answers. The one who suggested they may used as modifiers made perfect sense & I'd put money on it that he's right. Kind of like the spin, juke, etc only being modifiers for running backs with reference to tendency more than ability.
You didn't give us his run block rating though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »