Home

Online or Offline Dynasty

This is a discussion on Online or Offline Dynasty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Online or Offline Dynasty

I give Pocket Scout full credit for explaining to me how to take advantage of a single player online dynasty. I use it when I'm at work and it is a recruit/sim games only dynasty. I went 4-8 in the first year of my Cal dynasty, but had a decent recruiting class on Heisman difficulty. Keep in mind if you want to advance a week in online dynasty from a computer or phone you need to purchase the "Advance Week From Anywhere" add on. It costs 2 or 3 bucks. The only drawback is you can't advance from a computer during the preseason. There are a couple of times where a console advance is necessary.

I use my offline dynasty to actually play the games.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Pocket scout can you explain your Sim 9 and play 3? I like the way that sounds. Also what does the recent post mean by taking advantage of scouting?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

Like many other who play this NCAA Football, once you learn how to really play the game it is not extremely hard to play with a bad team and win 9 to 12 games every year and to win 6 National Championships in 10 years type of thing.

Many people consider Bear Bryant to be one of the top 5 all time coaches in college football. He coached at Maryland, Kentucky, Texas A&M and finished out his career at Alabama. In all he coached for 38 seasons and managed to win 6 National Titles in that time. This is the most of any coach ever!

To me 6 titles in 10 years just kills any realism. Because of this I like to do a sim/play mix of games each year. In my current dynasty I play 3 games each regular season (no rematches from the previous year) and I sim the other 9. This makes it a lot harder building a program and winning National Championships. You have to really pay attention to which games you select to play so you maximize your wins each year.

Right now in my College Football 1991 dynasty I lucked into taking over an under performing LSU team. Before I arrived they had only finished in the Top 25 once in the first three years (2013 they finished #12). Since I arrived I have built them into an absolute monster of a program and we have finished in the Top 6 each year and look to have another one this year.

With that said we have yet to win a National Championship, this year we had a slip up to Alabama (simmed) and last year we lost a close one to Tennessee (simmed) that cost us a shot at the National Title, while Boise State (who we handily beat earlier that year) won it all.

Since this is a game, I understand why some people feel like it is Mike Tyson's Punchout and you must beat the CPU every time at all cost. When I watch college football every year there are close calls for the eventual champion and some years the best team just doesn't make it to the title game because they had a slip up. That is what doing a sim(9)/pay(3) dynasty allows me to do. When simming to the next week my stomach is sitting in my throat hoping that I can pull out each win and not get upset.

This also makes program building more rewarding to me. Taking over a struggling team (2*) and winning 10 game the first year and then every year after that with stick skills just is not fun to me. Right now I have had my eye on the Razorbacks as they continue to lose each year. I am hoping to get a job offer from them when they fire their current coach in a couple of years and then try to build them into a National Power. It will not be easy only being able to play three games a year and if I can manage a winning record I will be all smiles. I'm not looking to win a conference championship the first couple of seasons, hell I'll be ecstatic to have a winning record running this type of setup.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention how I play. Personally I like to take as much control away from myself as possible so I sim the first half of every game and then play only offense in the 3rd quarter and offense and defense in the fourth. This makes each game take about 25 minutes to play. Because of this I can play a season in a few hours instead of a few days.

Last edited by PocketScout; 10-19-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketScout
Like many other who play this NCAA Football, once you learn how to really play the game it is not extremely hard to play with a bad team and win 9 to 12 games every year and to win 6 National Championships in 10 years type of thing.

Many people consider Bear Bryant to be one of the top 5 all time coaches in college football. He coached at Maryland, Kentucky, Texas A&M and finished out his career at Alabama. In all he coached for 38 seasons and managed to win 6 National Titles in that time. This is the most of any coach ever!

To me 6 titles in 10 years just kills any realism. Because of this I like to do a sim/play mix of games each year. In my current dynasty I play 3 games each regular season (no rematches from the previous year) and I sim the other 9. This makes it a lot harder building a program and winning National Championships. You have to really pay attention to which games you select to play so you maximize your wins each year.

Right now in my College Football 1991 dynasty I lucked into taking over an under performing LSU team. Before I arrived they had only finished in the Top 25 once in the first three years (2013 they finished #12). Since I arrived I have built them into an absolute monster of a program and we have finished in the Top 6 each year and look to have another one this year.

With that said we have yet to win a National Championship, this year we had a slip up to Alabama (simmed) and last year we lost a close one to Tennessee (simmed) that cost us a shot at the National Title, while Boise State (who we handily beat earlier that year) won it all.

Since this is a game, I understand why some people feel like it is Mike Tyson's Punchout and you must beat the CPU every time at all cost. When I watch college football every year there are close calls for the eventual champion and some years the best team just doesn't make it to the title game because they had a slip up. That is what doing a sim(9)/pay(3) dynasty allows me to do. When simming to the next week my stomach is sitting in my throat hoping that I can pull out each win and not get upset.

This also makes program building more rewarding to me. Taking over a struggling team (2*) and winning 10 game the first year and then every year after that with stick skills just is not fun to me. Right now I have had my eye on the Razorbacks as they continue to lose each year. I am hoping to get a job offer from them when they fire their current coach in a couple of years and then try to build them into a National Power. It will not be easy only being able to play three games a year and if I can manage a winning record I will be all smiles. I'm not looking to win a conference championship the first couple of seasons, hell I'll be ecstatic to have a winning record running this type of setup.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention how I play. Personally I like to take as much control away from myself as possible so I sim the first half of every game and then play only offense in the 3rd quarter and offense and defense in the fourth. This makes each game take about 25 minutes to play. Because of this I can play a season in a few hours instead of a few days.
College Football 1991?? - Roster for XBOX or PS3? Know any old ones for PS3?

Just simming the first half then playing (unless you're way behind or way ahead) playing the 2nd half would be an interesting way to play! I'm surprised I never thought of that. Give half the game control to the cpu and half to the user. You could do the 2nd/4th quarters for the user even..
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotJames
College Football 1991?? - Roster for XBOX or PS3? Know any old ones for PS3?

Just simming the first half then playing (unless you're way behind or way ahead) playing the 2nd half would be an interesting way to play! I'm surprised I never thought of that. Give half the game control to the cpu and half to the user. You could do the 2nd/4th quarters for the user even..
I just used default rosters with generic names. The alignment of conferences is where the naming comes from. Being able to get though a season in a few hours kinda made me not worry about naming the rosters since those players would not be around very long.

Personally I will restart if the super sim has me up by more than 14 or down by more than 24 points. I like playing the second half because it allows me to better comeback if needed or try to put a game away. I play 6 minute quarters because with super sim/play mix it gives about the right number of plays and stats. No reason you could not play 2nd and 4th, but be sure to play the 4th as it is fun coming in to try and complete a comeback or keep the computer from doing so.

Last edited by PocketScout; 10-19-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

For a single player dynasty I prefer offline dynasties to online ones for the following reasons. Here are the pros I see for each type, a lot of which are also cons for the other.

Online:
  • Recruiting online. (great to be able to do this from anywhere)
  • Downloadable rosters, recruiting, stats, etc.
  • Ability to play (supersim) and advance from the DW.
  • Pretty much everything else about DW is very nice.
Offline:
  • You can play/sim other games. In this year's game there's an inordinate number of upsets which can make it easier (read, "too easy") to get highly ranked. In my dynasty I'll resim or supersim games where a highly ranked team gets upset by a team that has no business beating them. This isn't possible in an OD.
  • Can select your opponent's uniforms. This is great when playing in a conference with teams like Oregon, Ohio State, West Virginia, etc with tons of uniform combos.
  • Don't need to be online so if your internet goes out for whatever reason, you can still play your dynasty.
  • Can have as many saves as you want. This is great in case your OD gets corrupted or to go back and sim other games' results. I also keep a save at the end of every season so I can always go back and look at stats and stuff.
  • You don't have other OD specific bugs (of which there are at least a few).
  • You can control multiple teams.
  • Advances are faster, especially during high traffic times for ODs.
  • Coaching record keeping actually works. IE, in my OD, with SMU my record is 42-8 with 2 conference championships and 1 national championship. According to the OD I'm 15-0 with 0 championships.
I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 10-19-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Rookie

Pro scout I like your setup and I think I will use that. I have always done something similar but kept getting unrealistic results. I would only play the home games and will not change the schedule. I usually only play offenses because of time. But with your format I might be able to do both. I have a couple of questions for you:

1) do you change the schedule in any way?

2) what type of sliders do you use?

3) what do you do about the championship and bowl games?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
Rookie

Also do you pick the 3 games before the season starts or as the season is progressing?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »