Home

Why is it so hard to get a big time HC job.

This is a discussion on Why is it so hard to get a big time HC job. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1
Why is it so hard to get a big time HC job.

When I took over at Memphis the season prior the team finished 0-12, 7 or so years later the past three years we played for a national championship, won the rose bowl, and won the fiesta bowl. Yet the best job offer I can get is offensive coordinator at Temple.

Coaching carousel needs serious work. Its very frustrating that they add what could be a great feature to the game, but spend no time trying to make it better from one year to the next. I have never understood it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Why is it so hard to get a big time HC job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount53
When I took over at Memphis the season prior the team finished 0-12, 7 or so years later the past three years we played for a national championship, won the rose bowl, and won the fiesta bowl. Yet the best job offer I can get is offensive coordinator at Temple.

Coaching carousel needs serious work. Its very frustrating that they add what could be a great feature to the game, but spend no time trying to make it better from one year to the next. I have never understood it.
In my 10 man OD, I won back to back NC's and a Rose Bowl with UCLA and some how, the best job I got was Baylor.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

This is a two part issue.

1) The game lets coaches play out there contract and then decides if the meet their goals or not. This only allows a few schools a year to have openings. Before you advance to the next season go to the coaching security page and sort coaches by years left on there current contract. Look at the schools who's coaches are in their final year and those are your possible openings. Then look at the coaches job security, if it is above 50% he will probably get an extension and that job will not be on the board once you advance to the coaching carousel.

You will not have USC, Notre Dame, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama and Oregon looking for coaches every season. Schools have to have openings before you can possibly move there. Most of the time I have noticed there are a couple marque jobs (traditional powers) that will hit the board ever few years. When these jobs do have openings you will need to have luck on your side to land one. This leads us to part two...

2) Coaching Prestige is what determines which jobs you will be offered. You need to peak at the right time coaching prestige wise. Finishing the year you need to be on a decent winning streak, it is great to defeat a couple teams ranked higher than you to get the little coaching prestige bonus that goes along with it, you need to not have any failed goals and again hope that the other candidates have not been killing it all year long.

I find the coaching carousel is not that hard but overall I think they could add a difficulty setting to it and go from there. Current form would be AA, a little harder would be Heisman, and easier versions would be Varsity and Freshman.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Check the job security menu for coaches in their last year that will more than likely get fired. Then, change your alma mater to the school you may want. More than likely, they'll hire you in the offseason.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearyourshirt
Check the job security menu for coaches in their last year that will more than likely get fired. Then, change your alma mater to the school you may want. More than likely, they'll hire you in the offseason.
That's so sad. Based on alma mater over a good or even great record. So very sad and unrealistic.

At Alabama, our players don't win Heisman Trophies. Our teams win National Championships.-Bear Bryant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Banned

Wilson16NCSU's Arena

OVR: 1

I was the OC at UL-Lafayette for one year, won the National Title and automatically got a job offer to be the head coach at South Carolina who was a top three team, so I haven't seen this problem yet.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
MVP

UATide's Arena

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson16NCSU
I was the OC at UL-Lafayette for one year, won the National Title and automatically got a job offer to be the head coach at South Carolina who was a top three team, so I haven't seen this problem yet.
Why did SC dump Spurrier if they were top 3?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This Is Alabama Football.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UATide
Why did SC dump Spurrier if they were top 3?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Probably retired.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »