Home

How do you stop a 5 wide offense ??

This is a discussion on How do you stop a 5 wide offense ?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
How do you stop a 5 wide offense ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: How do you stop a 5 wide offense ??

I posted this same thing to another thread about how to stop third and long, but this same strategy is also what I use for most passing downs and what I always go to when the offense goes 5 wide.

First, set your defensive line to be aggressive. Generally the CPU will not try to draw you offsides so it will help your passrush get that extra step and lead to more sacks. Set your defense to play pass.

Second, use the money play I go with on 3rd down(I recommend having 2 very good corners and 2 above average for this): Quarter, 2 man under spy. This leaves two guys deep and man coverage straight across the board. Manually control the MLB and do the following with him as needed:
1. QB spy. Leaving the LB in at QB spy is also effective at stopping draw plays.
2. Blitz
3. Switch him to blitz and they drop back into a spy to trick their QB into scrambling
4. Coverage: Hook zone or just double cover a player is generally what I do.

Another play that works well on passing situations(doesn't work well vs 5 wide) is Nickel 3-3-5: 2 Man Under.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

tough to stop against a great offensive mind. that cover 2 man under helps but is very vulnerable to shotgun counters, QB options and scrambling QB's. You can also hit some sail routes pretty easy.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

You have to make sure the middle of the field is covered and also blitz!!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Rookie

QB Spy is somewhat broken at times it seems. LBs do a poor job staying with the QB. Often, I abandon the pass rush and will put my DEs into spys with my LB and hope one of my ball hawking safeties can pick the ball off.

Very frustrating when bad players find and exploit and can convert when they dont have a decent play called... they just get my QB spy to get himself stuck on an OL for no reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

You guys all bring up good points.

2 man under spy is what I go to because I simply can't find a play that is concrete at stopping a passing attack. I think the pass rush on NCAA 13 doesn't get there fast enough for users and is sometimes too fast for the CPU.

My first two years in my dynasty I've had the #1 ranked rush defense both years, but one of the worst in giving up passing yardage (280-300 yards per game), however I've also had the most interceptions.

This is REALLY frustrating for me because I can sack the quarterback, I can get hits on him, I can get interceptions, but they always complete dink and dunk passes up and down the field on me, and I am unable to consistently stop the pass. Plus my corners are really good, so I really don't know what the problem is.

I mean I really don't know what to do besides blitz more. I gave up 100 yards recieving and a TD to the #1 WR for Kentucky who was a 72 ovr who had 80 speed. Most of the night he was matched up against my #1 Corner who is an 88 overall with 94 or so speed and had an NCAA-record 18 picks on the season. I won that game 90-14 (7 min quarters, heisman) and forced about 6 turnovers (4 picks and 2 fumbles) but I still gave up too many yards for my liking.

@Porterhouse7070: Try controlling the QB spy, it helps as you can adjust to the QB, blitz(if you want), or try to cover an underneath route.

Last edited by over9000yards; 11-22-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Rookie

i played a guy online this morning. he was like 280-120 and had a great no huddle going with Oregon and 5 wide. overall that cover 2 spy slowed him down especially when i bumped but he'd get chunks of yardage on draw plays. i ended up losing because i had no answer to consitantly stop his pass game. when playing someone like that who is a great passer, you cant stop it. You only hope to get a drop or bad pass here and there.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman334
i played a guy online this morning. he was like 280-120 and had a great no huddle going with Oregon and 5 wide. overall that cover 2 spy slowed him down especially when i bumped but he'd get chunks of yardage on draw plays. i ended up losing because i had no answer to consitantly stop his pass game. when playing someone like that who is a great passer, you cant stop it. You only hope to get a drop or bad pass here and there.

By bumped I take it you mean press coverage? Does that help all that much on underneath routes? Because I don't use it a lot, and when I do use it I don't notice much difference in whether the other team gets open or not.

You gotta look out for draw plays at all times when you're playing that pass. What I do on every play with my d-line is I shift them to the strong side, or if the other team is in shotgun, I shift to the side that the runningback would run to on a power play/45 quick base. Then you just gotta hope either the d-line can get there or the linebacker.

I mean, I know you can't stop a great passing game, but there is no logical reason why I can have a #1 88 overall corner, a #2 86 overall corner, a #3 78 overall corner, and a #4 76 overall corner, all with 90+ speed and good man coverage ratings and STILL give up 280 to 380 yards passing against just about every team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »