Home

Conference Realignment The Good The Bad The Ugly

This is a discussion on Conference Realignment The Good The Bad The Ugly within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 14
Conference Realignment The Good The Bad The Ugly

The Good

The good thing about conference realignment to me personally is that everyone gets a better shot. Now if your the Big East in a year or two it maybe difficult what with the travel schedule but bright side is their getting more recognition like Boise and San Diego State. The other good is that as we've noticed so far its helping conferences not hurting. Look at Texas A&M and West Virginia for instance. A&M who would've thought a year ago they'd almost ruin the SEC's reign of 7 straight national championships. Another great example is West Virginia sure now their struggling but in the beggining Geno Smith who maybe the number 1 or 2 pick in the draft helped that conference. So maybe this conference realiignment is good after all.

The Bad

The bad thing to me about conference realignment is that it ruins traditions. Some rivalries maybe not in football but basketball wise can get ruined. Can you imagine if FSU moved from the ACC to the BIG 12 and what it would do to that great in state rivalry? It's like saying what if Oklahoma had left town for the Pac-12 and left Texas behind? The other bad thing about conference realignment is the locations. Look at the new proposed Big East do you think USF really want to travel from Tampa to Califonia to Boise in the same year. No way. The travel schedule may turn out to be a factor when it comes down to winning the conference.

The Ugly

The ugliest thing about conference realignment is teams not making up their minds on rather to stay or leave their conference. Look at TCU they had it too easy in the MWC so they jump to the Big 12 and so far its paid off. Its given them a better rivalry with all the Texas schools and a better chance at one day going for a National Chamionship. Just wait though now with this new Top 4 aka Final 4 version of the College Football world it really hurts conferences not called the SEC. This shakes up the whole conference realignment factor. I just read an article 3 or 4 of the schools moving to the Big East are reconsidering because the MWC just got an Automatic Bowl Birth. With all this Chaos between the BCS and Realignment Rutgers and Marlyand will join the BIG conference. Why Maryland left the ACC who knows? Was it so Notre Dame may consider a ACC move for Football too, or was it too allow UCONN to make their move. I want you guys to tell me what you think of these statements. That's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Conference Realignment The Good The Bad The Ugly

Ugly:
Rutgers joining the big 10... taht is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE match.... its like poutting arkansas state in the Pac 12! thats right! I went there!

Meh:
I dont think the big ten should ever add teams... nebraska was a good fit a few years ago to bring it to 12 teams... the only team that I think would have fit better is notre dame, but i respect thier choice to stay independent, seeing as they have a VERY prestigious school.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Rookie

bobaloo000's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabursock55
Ugly:
Rutgers joining the big 10... taht is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE match.... its like poutting arkansas state in the Pac 12! thats right! I went there!

Meh:
I dont think the big ten should ever add teams... nebraska was a good fit a few years ago to bring it to 12 teams... the only team that I think would have fit better is notre dame, but i respect thier choice to stay independent, seeing as they have a VERY prestigious school.
You do realize you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to Rutgers? The Rutgers Rivals site did a great comparison of Rutgers recruiting vs B1G recruiting over the last few years. On average Rutgers recruiting classes would be 3rd best in the conference over that time behind Ohio State and UMich and that was with the Big East albatross around their necks. Did you know Rutgers landed the top recruit in NJ each of the last two years and Darius Hamilton was the #11 recruit in the country? That one of the top High School programs in the country, Don Bosco Prep, has become a pipeline school to Rutgers? Ever heard of Khaseem Greene? No, better learn quick because he'll be a first round draft pick next year (Rutger's 4th in the last 5 years I believe) and is going to be a terror at LB in the NFL for a long time (barring injury). Rutgers actually INCREASES the B1G APR and has the highest APR among state schools over the last five years. Two years ago only Stanford had a higher APR. Rutgers wrestling is a top 25 program and now in the B1G could become a top 10 program. Women's Basketball, Rutgers has one of the top programs in the country. Just ask Don Imus.

Explain to me why Minnesota or Indiana belong in the B1G more than Rutgers? Because 100 years ago someone asked them? Would they be invited today? Oh, and last night Rutgers landed a 4* guard/center named Dorian Miller and they are going head to head with Wisconsin and Ohio St. for FL lb Skai Moore. Did you know New Jersey is one of the top ten states for putting players into 1a colleges? Is it a coincidence as more NJ players stay home the state school has gotten better? Now what happens if even more of the top players stay home? Not saying it will but comparing us to Arkansas State is crazy after all we beat Arkansas in Arkansas this year.

Are you aware that Rutgers is a Land Grant school? Ever heard of the CIC? That is the academic arm of the B1G and Rutgers is a great fit as an AAU school with a large research department. Did you know the University of Chicago is still a member of the B1G? Strictly for academics. What school has the highest rated games in the NYC metro area on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU?

Yeah, that's right, I went there.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 14

I believe Minnesota and Indiana should move to the C-USA or Big East. Also Maryland too me makes no sense unless they recruit vs heavy BIG conference teams. Now Rutgers absolutly although I have to agree they should've stuck to 12.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

I think Rutgers is actually a great fit in the B1G.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1
Indiana will stay because of the basketball program. Period

Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Rookie

noles367's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaloo000
You do realize you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to Rutgers? The Rutgers Rivals site did a great comparison of Rutgers recruiting vs B1G recruiting over the last few years. On average Rutgers recruiting classes would be 3rd best in the conference over that time behind Ohio State and UMich and that was with the Big East albatross around their necks. Did you know Rutgers landed the top recruit in NJ each of the last two years and Darius Hamilton was the #11 recruit in the country? That one of the top High School programs in the country, Don Bosco Prep, has become a pipeline school to Rutgers? Ever heard of Khaseem Greene? No, better learn quick because he'll be a first round draft pick next year (Rutger's 4th in the last 5 years I believe) and is going to be a terror at LB in the NFL for a long time (barring injury). Rutgers actually INCREASES the B1G APR and has the highest APR among state schools over the last five years. Two years ago only Stanford had a higher APR. Rutgers wrestling is a top 25 program and now in the B1G could become a top 10 program. Women's Basketball, Rutgers has one of the top programs in the country. Just ask Don Imus.

Explain to me why Minnesota or Indiana belong in the B1G more than Rutgers? Because 100 years ago someone asked them? Would they be invited today? Oh, and last night Rutgers landed a 4* guard/center named Dorian Miller and they are going head to head with Wisconsin and Ohio St. fo
r FL lb Skai Moore. Did you know New Jersey is one of the top ten states for putting players into 1a colleges? Is it a coincidence as more NJ players stay home the state school has gotten better? Now what happens if even more of the top players stay home? Not saying it will but comparing us to Arkansas State is crazy after all we beat Arkansas in Arkansas this year.

Are you aware that Rutgers is a Land Grant school? Ever heard of the CIC? That is the academic arm of the B1G and Rutgers is a great fit as an AAU school with a large research department. Did you know the University of Chicago is still a member of the B1G? Strictly for academics. What school has the highest rated games in the NYC metro area on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU?

Whoa, whoa. Color it any way you want, Rutgers is an average program in the past and present. And perhaps more importantly they don't fit into the traditional Big 10 geography. I think that was the point trying to be made there.

I don't mind seeing New Jersey in the Big 10, but seeing California and Florida schools in the same conference is bothersome to me.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaloo000

Explain to me why Minnesota or Indiana belong in the B1G more than Rutgers? Because 100 years ago someone asked them? Would they be invited today? Oh, and last night Rutgers landed a 4* guard/center named Dorian Miller and they are going head to head with Wisconsin and Ohio St. for FL lb Skai Moore. Did you know New Jersey is one of the top ten states for putting players into 1a colleges? Is it a coincidence as more NJ players stay home the state school has gotten better? Now what happens if even more of the top players stay home? Not saying it will but comparing us to Arkansas State is crazy after all we beat Arkansas in Arkansas this year.

I dont want to turn this into an argument (You know, kinda like how you just flew off the handle there?) but the only reason the B1G added Rutgers is because they wanted to add the New York/New Jersey TV market. Now, Did I ever disrespect Rutgers football program in any way? Did I disrespect the University of Rutgers in any way? Did I disrespect the players from Rutgers in any way? No, I didnt. Did I say Rutgers does not belong in the B1G? Yes, I did, and you see my good sir, that is an opinion. I am entitled to it, and you are entitled to your own as well. However, your opinions are a lot less likely to be heard when you sort of flip out like that. Speaking Geographically, I dont think Rutgers belongs in the B1G, I dont think Maryland belongs in the B1G. I barely think PSU belongs in the B1G! But these power conferences demand power schools, and when PSU was invited, they were coming off on 2 national championships. Dont get me wrong, I know Rutgers is "the birthplace of college football" and thats swell. But should that give them admission to the B1G? I dont really think so. Indiana and Especially Minnesota have a very Rich history in football and fit the bill of the B1G geographics very well. Its true as of late, their programs have faltered into obscurity in a sense, but how often does a team get kicked out of a conference? pretty much never, and I doubt they will find any other conferences waiting with open arms to greet them. By the way, good for the B1G representing the university of Chicago! If they ever come back to D1 football, I would hope that the B1G offers them an invitation. Sorry If you disagree with me. Its only an opinion haha

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »