Home

No title since NCAA??? How bout you

This is a discussion on No title since NCAA??? How bout you within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: No title since NCAA??? How bout you

While it isn't very logical, I actually enjoy not winning the national title. My last one was also on the 2004 version. When I win it all, I tend to lose interest in the game.

Some of my most enjoyable seasons were ones that I went 5-7. I am not suggesting that there wasn't some frustration along the way. There definitley was. But every game I played was a big one as I scraped and clawed my way trying to squeeze into the bowl picture.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
While it isn't very logical, I actually enjoy not winning the national title. My last one was also on the 2004 version. When I win it all, I tend to lose interest in the game.

Some of my most enjoyable seasons were ones that I went 5-7. I am not suggesting that there wasn't some frustration along the way. There definitley was. But every game I played was a big one as I scraped and clawed my way trying to squeeze into the bowl picture.
I agree. The game would be more enjoyable if you could take a top tier team and struggle to go undefeated, normally average between 9 or 10 games a season and have down years where you win 6 or 7 games, and then with bottom feeders it may take a few years just to get bowl eligible and work your way up to winning the conference and working your way up towards BCS bowls, etc after playing numerous seasons.

I actually enjoyed playing as a coordinator for this reason. I took Rice as an O coordinator and started off struggling to win games my first season as I couldn't affect what happened on defense so I would end up getting outscored. The problem was that my defense was unrealistically bad and my offense was much better than they should have been (if my defense could have held teams to 30 pts a game I would have been undefeated). Then recruiting was too easy and by year 3 I was unstoppable. The only team that could beat me was the other user team (really wish you would only play as coordinator against other user teams, and only recruit the side of the ball that you are on, but thats a different topic).

The toughest problem that I have at this time is that to make the game difficult enough to where I have a chance to lose is to unbalance the Human-CPU sliders in a way that I just feel screwed over by the time the game is over, and pretty much still do not lose.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Anyone recommend some really hard set of sliders? I really want to make the cpu games more challenging. In fact as crazy as it sounds the day I finish a season 6-6 I will be happier then winning the national title...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Only one this year (so far).....at last count i'm probably around 12-15 NC's in OD's ( usually 8-12 users , mix of friends/strangers. On Heisman difficulty & Heisman recruiting.) , since '09. '11 & '12 i was damn near unstoppable , set the record for ppg allowed on D @ 6.69/per . I have not been able to recapture quite the dominance since unfortunately.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Rookie

zkiesel's Arena

OVR: 0

I won a title for the first time last year with Michigan. It was a pretty awesome run. I beat Oregon in the title game.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesixpac
The toughest problem that I have at this time is that to make the game difficult enough to where I have a chance to lose is to unbalance the Human-CPU sliders in a way that I just feel screwed over by the time the game is over, and pretty much still do not lose.
Maybe you could come up with some "House Rules" for yourself? There must be certain aspects of the game that you are too successful? Random Ideas:
- Limit yourself to controlling certain positions on Defense.
- Don't allow yourself to switch defenders.
- No QB Scrambles.
- Take out plays or pass routes that work too often.
- Use a different camera angle.

While I do like sliders, they seem to get screwier each year. 8 years ago they seemed more straight forward. These days, they all seem to come with hidden side effects. Some times they are reversed, and other times don't seem to do anything. A real headache. While house rules do kind of suck, you at least know what you are getting.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15
I have only won 1 NC. That was with Maryland in NCAA 2002, the first season.

I usually avoid powerhouse schools and try to build up programs though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Maybe you could come up with some "House Rules" for yourself? There must be certain aspects of the game that you are too successful? Random Ideas:
- Limit yourself to controlling certain positions on Defense.
- Don't allow yourself to switch defenders.
- No QB Scrambles.
- Take out plays or pass routes that work too often.
- Use a different camera angle.

While I do like sliders, they seem to get screwier each year. 8 years ago they seemed more straight forward. These days, they all seem to come with hidden side effects. Some times they are reversed, and other times don't seem to do anything. A real headache. While house rules do kind of suck, you at least know what you are getting.

Good luck.
I actually do basically have "house rules" that I play with. I never actually thought about it as setting rules for myself, I just try to play the most realistic way and the most fun way. I like to play games as realistic as possible.

On defense I only play as free safety because I find it the most fun position to play. I also play my position (if I'm in deep zone I don't run up immediately on runs or play near the line of scrimmage). I also do not change my player often (I will at times, but rarely and if I change my player during a pass I only go for deflections, not INT's).

I try to stay in my base defense as much as possible and do not blitz very often.

It is extremely rare that I scramble with my qb. I like to sit in the pocket and check down receivers. With the sliders that I use, you have very little time to sit in the pocket. Even if I try to scramble it is very rare that I am able to get away, and I pretty much scramble to get out of the pocket to throw the ball away. I don't even remember the last time that I scrambled and gained yards.

The one thing that I do is I use my whole playbook on offense. Mostly because it is more fun, more realistic, and because the CPU doesn't do a good job of making adjustments which makes it unrealistic to use the same play over and over. I understand that in real life there are times when a team will run a play over and over until the other team stops it, but since the CPU doesn't make great adjustments it just isn't realistic. I run and pass out of multiple formations of ace, shotgun, pistol, full house, offset I, I, Power I, and wishbone. I simply do a little bit of everything just to have more fun with the game. When I pass the ball, I never exploit the deep routes. Any vertical routes that I have are always at least my second option, so I have to check down and make a quick decision if I am going to try to pass deep. Normally, with the sliders that I have set up there isn't enough time to let the vertical routes get open anyway.

Right now I'm about out of ideas that won't make the gameplay poor. If you have any other house rules or something that would help me out let me know. The current season that I am I struggle to win most of my games, but still always come out with victories. It is strange because I will play a team like San Diego St. and they will move the ball well against me, but I will do enough to score more points than they do, and then I will play Ohio State and shut them out 20-0.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »