Home

DB Glitch is Overrated in the Pass Game

This is a discussion on DB Glitch is Overrated in the Pass Game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
DB Glitch is Overrated in the Pass Game

I completely understand everyone's angst with the DB glitch, but I have one big issue with the passing game (along with others mixed in). We are about 7 seasons into tweaking our sliders and creating the most challenging gameplay without completely making the user players pathetic. What I mean by this is our qb pass accuracy is at 5 and wr catching is way low and we get a ton of dropped passes to make up for the fact that the passing game is too easy.

My main concern is that it is just as easy for quarterbacks to throw downfield in the game than the short "pitch and catch" passes, and just as many of the short passes are dropped as the deep ball passes. I want to forget about where the defense lacks for a second and just look the offense. There are plenty of times in games where a wr will break free from man to man coverage or because of broken coverage, but there is still many times that the quarterback over or under throws the wr and has an incomplete pass. If EA could add animations into the game that has slightly poor thrown passes that causes more drops and just missed plays the game would be a lot less frustrating then having to turn wr catching way down and have wide open wr's dropping 3 yd passes consistently.

There also needs to be qb pass accuracy by yardage (short up to 7 yards, medium 7-15 yards, and long 15+ yards) because right now it seems that my quarterback is just as accurate throwing the ball downfield as he is throwing the little dump off passes. On top of this the wide receivers are dropping just as many of the short passes as the long passes, or even more so it seems.

I really think that adding in slight error to different passes would do a lot for the game. Just being able to see that the pass wasn't quite on target would be very beneficial to the overall gameplay as right now it seems that the passes are on target or way off target.

My next concern is that the db's need to be better at disrupting passes without intercepting. Right now I have the cpu intercepting boosted because they seem to play the pass better, and to really make passing risky since it used to be too easy. The good is that they defend the pass better, the bad is that they make crazy circus interceptions way too often.

I would love to spend a lot more time on this, but I don't want to make this post way too long.

One final thing is that the db glitch is a problem and when a player gets open downfield it should normally be by a step or two and the quarterback's accuracy in the 15+ range should determine how well the qb gets a catchable ball to the wr, and the cb has a chance of disrupting the pass if it is under thrown but quite unlikely to make an INT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
SKI-U-MAH

thumstyx's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: DB Glitch is Overrated in the Pass Game

I share many of the same thoughts on the passing game.
Great insight here.

I think the biggest issue is that the game is VERY scripted and does not utilize a solid physics engine

The game plays and feels a lot more 2D than 3D...

And yet it is my favorite sports game for many others reasons (game-play being the least...)

Raise your game EA
Be cutting edge

Take chances with game engines and physics not game gimmicks

Old 12-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumstyx
I share many of the same thoughts on the passing game.
Great insight here.

I think the biggest issue is that the game is VERY scripted and does not utilize a solid physics engine

The game plays and feels a lot more 2D than 3D...

And yet it is my favorite sports game for many others reasons (game-play being the least...)

Raise your game EA
Be cutting edge

Take chances with game engines and physics not game gimmicks
EA goes after casual football dumb gamers. Unfortunately, they would take a beating if they didn't. People in my ODs complain about dropped passes or overthrown passes to open guys. Can you imagine if gamers were losing games because they couldn't use cheese or go to plays?

The engine doesn't know how to make the CPU play good in order to make you feel like you got out coached. Instead, a 150 lb speed back breaks tackles or QBs barrel through my 305 lb DT regularly.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Not sure what this has to do with the DB glitch itself; but it doesn't help that the majority of the sliders are reversed. Pass Coverage in particular.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

have yall tried editing accuracy down and throw power up, in ncaa 12 this has really opened up alot of different pass animation and i also believe that the algorythm adjusts for deep,medium,and short passes(no proof just a feeling)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan1966
have yall tried editing accuracy down and throw power up, in ncaa 12 this has really opened up alot of different pass animation and i also believe that the algorythm adjusts for deep,medium,and short passes(no proof just a feeling)
This is exactly what I have done with ncaa 13 along with increasing the pass rush. My Pass Block slider is at 0 and the Pass Rush is always between 0 and 15 depending on what difficulty level I'm playing at. This helps a lot in coach and cpu mode, but it does nothing to help a skilled human player. That's why I stopped playing user-cpu matches.

Nice write up to the OP, but the title of the thread is very misleading.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

I agree that EA needs to implement the short, medium, deep ball and play action accuracy ratings that they have in Madden right now. The biggest issue there is when it comes to the human passing game is the eye in the sky viewpoint for the user. As long as the user is able to play from tha viewpoint then he will always have the advantage over CPU AI. I honestly don't know how you fix that. I know a couple of games in the past tried QB Cam and most didn't like it. I personally loved the QB Cone from Madden.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
I agree that EA needs to implement the short, medium, deep ball and play action accuracy ratings that they have in Madden right now. The biggest issue there is when it comes to the human passing game is the eye in the sky viewpoint for the user. As long as the user is able to play from tha viewpoint then he will always have the advantage over CPU AI. I honestly don't know how you fix that. I know a couple of games in the past tried QB Cam and most didn't like it. I personally loved the QB Cone from Madden.
Yes, I loved the QB Cone - I was terrible at it, but I loved it.

I think Stamina plays a huge role as well. I've deducted 20 points for all players; and it's nice to see some passes under thrown and QBs getting visually tired via their passing thanks to no huddles, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »