Home

Stars vs OVR vs SPARQ

This is a discussion on Stars vs OVR vs SPARQ within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Stars vs OVR vs SPARQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by football200414
No matter which you use they're not a full-proof method to avoid busts. I read on here once that the safest system to find good recruits, especially at the 4* level, is to pay attention to who is recruiting them. If they're 4* with MTSU & Temple atop their list, they're almost a sure bust. If they're 4* with Bama, Ohio St, & Michigan atop their list, they're gonna be as advertised or maybe even a gem. It's not an excact science but it works more than it fails and I always get a solid class with very few busts, if any.
It's so sad that this is the way it works; this is exactly what we were all nervous about when EA announced this new system. In addition to making it more obvious who the gems and busts are, this also ruins the whole point of having gems and busts in the first place. If that 3* FS from my school's state starts out rated 64 overall but then ends up as a +9 gem (73 OVR) after full scouting, I shouldn't have to fight for him with the same schools that I would normally have to fight with for a highly-touted 4* recruit who is a 73 (-1). The whole point is that smaller schools can find guys flying under the radar who will be easier to recruit than guys who start out with high ratings, but if I'm still gonna be fighting it our with Bama, Ohio State, and LSU for both the 3* gem and the average 4*, there's no point to the system; they should have just started out as 4* recruits in the first place.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
Banned

football200414's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaloo000
Thanks for all the replies. I've been ignoring SPARQ and using the stars and OVR. I will disagree with the person who said look at the schools recruiting them. I went after a 4 star athlete only being recruited by Hawaii, Fresno, San Jose and UNLV. He ended up not only being a gem but when I went to assign him a position turned out he was an 82 at QB. I've seen other examples similar to that as well including a 4 star T from New Mexico who only had an offer from Temple. Turned out he was another gem. Personally I think recruiting needs a lot of work.

If you'd pay attention to how I ended my post, I said it wasn't an exact science but it worked more than it failed. There are exceptions to every rule, but I can predict gem or bust with about 85% accuracy using this method - which kind of pisses me off. There's not as much fun in it if you already know how the story ends.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

i dont look at any of it. i look at individual attributes. the overall is the worst to look at. means nothing in most cases. ill take a 72 overall with 60 awarness over a 72 wr with 80 awarness anyday. his physical skills will be so far and above the high awarness player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLawNYC
It's so sad that this is the way it works; this is exactly what we were all nervous about when EA announced this new system. In addition to making it more obvious who the gems and busts are, this also ruins the whole point of having gems and busts in the first place. If that 3* FS from my school's state starts out rated 64 overall but then ends up as a +9 gem (73 OVR) after full scouting, I shouldn't have to fight for him with the same schools that I would normally have to fight with for a highly-touted 4* recruit who is a 73 (-1). The whole point is that smaller schools can find guys flying under the radar who will be easier to recruit than guys who start out with high ratings, but if I'm still gonna be fighting it our with Bama, Ohio State, and LSU for both the 3* gem and the average 4*, there's no point to the system; they should have just started out as 4* recruits in the first place.
I rarely get caught in recruiting battles for the gems. The big schools tend for the higher star prospects regardless, they do skip over the busts 75% of the time though. I can say it's ridiculous seeing five stars going on signing day [considering the recruiting system in place where its an absolute race to a set point, not in real life where's its a tug of war kind of argument]

This is a great addition, but it definitely needs to be refined.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Rookie

bobaloo000's Arena

OVR: 4

Something else that needs to be fixed is the tendency for all players to gravitate towards the middle. What do I mean?

High star players seem to have their OVR decrease when you scout them. Players that start with OVR's in the high 70's low 80's are more likely to be busts then players in the low 70's high 60's who are more likely to be gems. In real life not every 5 star is a bust but in this game more than likely they are. While high 3 star types more often than not are gems.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaloo000
Something else that needs to be fixed is the tendency for all players to gravitate towards the middle. What do I mean?

High star players seem to have their OVR decrease when you scout them. Players that start with OVR's in the high 70's low 80's are more likely to be busts then players in the low 70's high 60's who are more likely to be gems. In real life not every 5 star is a bust but in this game more than likely they are. While high 3 star types more often than not are gems.
Agreed, using last season as Air Force as my example, I signed at least 12 gems, none were above 3 stars.

I changed the way I recruit to get a more "realistic" feel. I used to actively go after the top overall players on my board. I changed that recently and now actively go after all the players who have me first on their list. Granted, I may not sign any players 75+ overall, but being teams like Air Force and Kent State, it may not always be realistic to do so.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
i dont look at any of it. i look at individual attributes. the overall is the worst to look at. means nothing in most cases. ill take a 72 overall with 60 awarness over a 72 wr with 80 awarness anyday. his physical skills will be so far and above the high awarness player.
You can see the awareness before he signs?

Personally, I would rather the higher awareness player. They seem to play truer to their ratings as their awareness goes up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
Banned

football200414's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcduggan
You can see the awareness before he signs?

Personally, I would rather the higher awareness player. They seem to play truer to their ratings as their awareness goes up.

I think what he was trying to say is he only looks at their position-specific skills and ignores the overall rating. He only referred to awareness when stating he'd rather have a player that is 72 overall with low awareness than one that is 72 overall with high awareness because their position-specific skills will be better. I agree with him since awareness plays no role in actual gameplay and only in simulation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »