Home

Understanding the CPU QB

This is a discussion on Understanding the CPU QB within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Rookie

Masakra's Arena

OVR: 1
Understanding the CPU QB

Hey guys,

So I've spent quite some time on this forum trying to understand something that keeps happening to me in-game that's quite frustrating:

The way the CPU plays QB.

The root of this issue comes from the fact that typically I'm generating WAY too many sacks...and its not even from one individual player or b/c I repeat a lot of same plays, I have like 9-10 guys who've gotten at least one sack. Right now, I'm playing as Utah State, am 4-2 at the midway point of the year and am beating everyone other team I know in sacks as a team by at least 10 sacks. Obviously I'm going to generate sacks in general b/c I draw up blitz plays, etc etc but a lot of it seems b/c of the fact the computer QB does one of two things too much:

1) For scrambler QBs, they seem to give it 1, maybe 2, seconds and they take off and often when they do, they run into their own O-line and get stuck long enough for one of my LBs or DEs to get them for a short sack.

2) For pocket passer QBs, they stand WAY too long in the pocket without throwing it away 95% of the time, making it too easy for my DT/DEs to eventually get to them for a sack; not too mention they often seem to like to run one too many times as well despite being slow as dirt.

I use Heisman-level sliders so its not like their not accurate or play bad in general, its just that they make it TOO easy to sack them and a lot of the time its b/c they simply play dumb. Any way to fix this problem, like programming the computer QB to actually throw the ball away once in a while? Where do I adjust the CPU QB settings besides the sliders page?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Understanding the CPU QB

Well mainly, this problem is just EA's poor programming of the CPU's AI. There's not too terribly much that you can do. However, I would raise the CPU's QB AWR about 5 ratings before each game, then change it back after the game. I know a 5 point boost isn't all that much, but you need to make it large enough to have an impact on the gameplay, yet small enough that the scrubs don't play like stars. The AWR pretty much controls the mind of the CPU QB. If he has a higher AWR, he will likely not take as many sacks and at least attempt to throw it when he is under pressure. Ultimately though, this won't solve all of the CPU's horrible logic, and the QB will still take sacks. Unfortunately, there's little we can do about that.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Rookie

Masakra's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksForever
Well mainly, this problem is just EA's poor programming of the CPU's AI. There's not too terribly much that you can do. However, I would raise the CPU's QB AWR about 5 ratings before each game, then change it back after the game. I know a 5 point boost isn't all that much, but you need to make it large enough to have an impact on the gameplay, yet small enough that the scrubs don't play like stars. The AWR pretty much controls the mind of the CPU QB. If he has a higher AWR, he will likely not take as many sacks and at least attempt to throw it when he is under pressure. Ultimately though, this won't solve all of the CPU's horrible logic, and the QB will still take sacks. Unfortunately, there's little we can do about that.
I see...how unfortunate...

I've continued to search through the forum and now remember something a while ago that when on begins a dynasty, there is an option to program the CPU's level of offense (i.e. conservative, aggressive, etc.). Any chance that might help? Or is there something under "Strategy" or "System" that may help?

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

If you have XBOX360 you can tweak more stuff, but I don't have one to tell you how to do so.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masakra
I see...how unfortunate...

I've continued to search through the forum and now remember something a while ago that when on begins a dynasty, there is an option to program the CPU's level of offense (i.e. conservative, aggressive, etc.). Any chance that might help? Or is there something under "Strategy" or "System" that may help?

Thanks again!
Go to 'Edit Coaches' and change each coaches offensive aggression level to the max. It will make the CPU open up the playbook and call a wide variety of plays, but the CPU QB won't really play any better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Rookie

Masakra's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksForever
I've been meaning to ask...how and where do you change the AWR of the opponent QB? And you only raise it about 5 point?
Thanks in advance!

Anyone else have some suggestions?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

To the OP, everything you posted is pretty much spot on and as someone else mentioned this all comes down to crappy CPU AI. There is a way you can make it a little better with player edits, but the minimal results don't justify the massive amount of time it takes to edit players. I just stopped playing the game and moved on to other games that work better. I'm a lot happier now
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 3

You could try lowering the intentional grounding penalty slider. I have been liking it around 25 to 35. Not a cure all but it does quicken up their reads.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »