Home

What will the new systems mean for NCAAF?

This is a discussion on What will the new systems mean for NCAAF? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: What will the new systems mean for NCAAF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh446066
Interesting that the COURT asked EA this question:

“At what point do we cry uncle when someone decides to make a movie based on an avatar of Tom Cruise and other living persons, and says, I don’t need to hire Tom Cruise at $20 million dollars a picture. I can do it cheaper by going to Pixar….you’re suggesting that they could do that, and there wouldn’t be any problem?”

The day we can't play NCAA with edited rosters is the day I stop buying.
That sounds a lot like what South Park does, so yes you can do that.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #34
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Difference is one is a parody of public/celebrity figures and the other is what is being litigated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think the issue is going to go the other way. I think NCAA student-athletes can make a way better case to be paid a sum of money as a source of revenue for their respected universities than to sue games that use their likeness. The issue of paying players is a big topic right now and it might go that way. If so, EA might just end up paying a royalty fee that gets distributed to all football student-athletes and we might end up with real rosters. This makes a lot more sense to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #36
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

As much as that would seem to make sense, the end result could quite possibly make it not economical to make NCAA games using real rosters - at least until a collegiate form of the NFLPA / licensing is established.

EA and the NCAA are both targets of this litigation.

Just the damages awards alone could potentially kill the franchise and any other potential NCAA game in the future from any other publishers.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

I cannot see another publisher even wasting time trying to make a college football title until the Keller lawsuit is resolved. Why would anyone step into that hornets nest until this suit is resolved? Too much at risk IMO. It appears that Keller has also mentioned the "roster share" aspect that EA enables users to share files. On this part I side with EA, they simply give the customer the option the share files. EA has no control what the customer decides to do with on open file.

I feel if EA wants to keep their heads out of the water, they need to just make rosters completely random out of the box. For example... Braxton Miller wouldn't be 6'1'' 210 lbs from Ohio with dark skin. Just issue a random set of attributes and player details. All you have to do to make the teams resemble the true ranking of each team is to randomly rate players to get the overall team rating you want.

Let the roster guys take care of the rosters. Just focus on gameplay. Anyone who really loves college football, and buys this title will know where to find good rosters. EA is making themselves an easy target.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #38
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I have no hope of future games until this is resolved. Considering the franchise over and done with until this goes a better direction for EA/NCAA and will be happy to be surprised as subsequent titles are released.

For anyone who wants to read legalese, here's a recap of where it stands right now: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DanRo...ronic_Arts.php
The Keller lawsuit has little to do with what we've seen from whistle to whistle - tackling, momentum, ol/dl interactions, etc.

If anything, it will provide Tiburon with another built in excuse for future mediocrity.

To be fair though, this generation was not with some semblance of innovation. However, if one looks at the sum rather than the parts, there can be little doubt that the NCAA series on this gen has been an absolute failure.

To make matters worst, the devs engaged in a full scale propaganda campaign (on this site and others) to prop up an inferior product.

The entire affair has been sordid.

I expect more of the same in the future.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #39
Rookie

ryan's Arena

OVR: 1

failure and the devs know it as more effort was put into PS1 and PS2 games

when you lose things such as neutral sites, FCS teams, medical redshirts, the quiet stadiums, attendance #, cut-scenes that were in Madden 91, horrific gameplay, etc., there's no way to admit this version was a true failure
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #40
Rookie

This Is Michigan's Arena

OVR: 0

I just bought my PS3 only 4 years ago. PS4 can go **** itself up the *** for all I care. I'm getting all the use I can out of this console.

Hell, I still play my PS2 NCAA games! They're STILL more fun than the current ones.

Isn't that sad? Going on the 8th generation, and games from the 6th are still better than those of today.

Jacking my team's player ratings up since 2003.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »