Home

Keller Case

This is a discussion on Keller Case within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Rookie

pj_28's Arena

OVR: 3
Keller Case

With this Keller case still in the courts what are the odds that EA does completely generic rosters this year to try and cover there own butts? Or would that make them look more "guilty" in past years by having realistic numbers and likeness?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Keller Case

I'm not sure at this point it would hold much weight in court. The previous publications would be enough proof. I do agree with EA making the rosters generic out of the box. Just completely randomize every players attributes, appearance, equipment, jersey #, home state, and HT/WT. In order to do this without compromising the product they would have to do the following:

1. Continue to allow roster share. Obviously for many (myself included) default rosters without being able to edit= no purchase. I think with a generic roster you should be able to continue to allow file sharing. At this point any custom roster made wasn't done by EA but by a customer. The only thing that would be nice would be more detailed editing. Give us more equipment, allow us to edit hometowns by typing them in, basically a bunch of smaller details that would enable the editor to do detailed work.

2. Allow online matchups with both players agreeing to using one of the players rosters. You might have to have a roster preview menu so they opponent can make sure it isn't a cheese file. When you select your team and you go to the playbook/uniform menu there should be a team roster menu as well.

3. Duplicate #'s. This for more reasons than being aesthetic. Allowing custom rosters for online play would be awesome, but we need duplicate #'s and also a way to not allow 2 players sharing a number on the field together at the same time. I suggest each number have an O and D next to them. So for instance Ohio State RB Rod Smith would be #2o and SS Christian Bryant would be #2d. This would be great for editors, and would also work great to eliminate the problems you could have with people cheating (giving everyone the same number/ or using a defensive number to create on offensive player).

Doing these things would give the consumer total control of the roster and the player likeness aspect of the game, all while taking pressure off EA and giving consumers more options. I realize that this game would be tough to play for about a month until the roster editors finished the files, but the wait would be worth it IMO. Especially if it means we still get a college football game.

Last edited by Gap Integrity; 03-08-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
MVP

speedy43's Arena

OVR: 10

This has been going on for a while, I can't see them changing anything unless they loose the case.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrownsrevenge
3. Duplicate #'s. This for more reasons than being aesthetic. Allowing custom rosters for online play would be awesome, but we need duplicate #'s and also a way to not allow 2 players sharing a number on the field together at the same time. I suggest each number have an O and D next to them. So for instance Ohio State RB Rod Smith would be #2o and SS Christian Bryant would be #2d. This would be great for editors, and would also work great to eliminate the problems you could have with people cheating (giving everyone the same number/ or using a defensive number to create on offensive player).
Slightly tangential, but the NCAA recently banned duplicate jersey numbers (as in, they did that this week). It'd be easier for EA to just prevent players from having the same jersey number than to implement any sort of substitution logic, and at this point more true-to-life.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

-To add a 10-second runoff with less than a minute remaining in either half when the sole reason for the clock stoppage is because of injury.
-To establish three seconds as the minimum amount of time required to be on the game clock in order to spike the ball to stop the clock. If one or two seconds remain on the clock, there is only time for the offense to run one more play.
-To require a player that changes numbers during the game to report this to the referee, who will announce it.
-To preclude multiple players from the same team from wearing the same uniform number (for example, two quarterbacks on the same team are not allowed to have the same number).
-To allow the use of electronic communication by the on-field officiating crew (the practice was used successfully on an experimental basis by the Southeastern Conference). This is a permissive rule and not a requirement.
-To allow instant replay to adjust the clock at the end of each quarter. Previously, this provision was in place only for the end of each half.
-To clarify uniform rules as follows: “Jerseys must have clearly visible, permanent Arabic numerals measuring at least 8 and 10 inches in height front and back, respectively, and be of one solid color that itself is clearly in distinct contrast with the color of the jersey, irrespective of any border around the number.” This rule goes into effect for Football Bowl Subdivision teams in 2013. Football Championship Subdivision, Division II and Division III teams will have until 2014 before the rule becomes effective.

I'm not sure in there where it says two guys can't share a number. The way I read it two guys that play the same position cannot have the same number. Most college football teams have over 100 players on their rosters. Ohio State just released an updated roster 2 days ago that's has plenty of guys sharing numbers. I think they meant 2 guys on the same side of the ball can't share a number. In some cases there are teams with a backup QB sharing a number with a walk-on WR. I noticed this when editing rosters. I might be wrong, but there are teams releasing spring rosters right now with a bunch of duplicate #'s.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...ootbl-mtt.html
An example of a change that would have to be made is #21, David Perkins switched to this number when Jamie Wood announced he was done playing football due to chronic injuries, Wood has since decided to give it one more go and has returned to the team. So I'm sure this will get changed.
Another example would be #88 Steve Miller is a solid scholarship DE, but they have two WR's wearing the number which won't fly. both of them are walk-ons and will be lucky to make the team would be my guess. I'm not trying to say you are wrong, but I think there are far too many players per team to not have duplicate #'s.

Last edited by Gap Integrity; 03-08-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
To preclude multiple players from the same team from wearing the same uniform number
Preclude means "to prevent". There's no concession in the language of the rule for players at different positions; the concept of position isn't even mentioned in the language of the rule. Unless the NCAA's own writing is imprecise, I don't see how this can be read any other way beyond "all duplicate jersey numbers are outlawed". The provided two quarterbacks example was just that, an example.

I do wonder how teams with many retired numbers are going to handle this rule; it doesn't seem like it will work for them.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Rookie

GeneralMike's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Slightly tangential, but the NCAA recently banned duplicate jersey numbers (as in, they did that this week). It'd be easier for EA to just prevent players from having the same jersey number than to implement any sort of substitution logic, and at this point more true-to-life.
They didn't tho. You can still have an offensive player and a defensive player wearing the same number, you can't have 2 QBs wearing the same number tho. Also the Air Force coach who is the chairperson of the rules committee was on the ESPN college football podcast last week and said they don't want teams to be able to exploit numbers to run trick plays.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMike
They didn't tho. You can still have an offensive player and a defensive player wearing the same number, you can't have 2 QBs wearing the same number tho. Also the Air Force coach who is the chairperson of the rules committee was on the ESPN college football podcast last week and said they don't want teams to be able to exploit numbers to run trick plays.
I'm perfectly willing to believe you, but the articles I keep finding on the subject don't jive with what you are saying. Here's another quote about the rule from SB Nation:
Quote:
Multiple players from the same team can't wear the same number.
Anyway, I apologize for dragging this incredibly off-topic, there's discussion about this new rule in this thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »