Home

NCAA Football 14 Preview and Video Interview with Ben Haumiller (IGN)

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Preview and Video Interview with Ben Haumiller (IGN) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #41
Rookie

darknmild's Arena

OVR: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Procedural awareness ? Oh God I hope that means the scrambling QB and returners on special teams don't run directly into defenders anymore and actually try to AVOID being tackled. Last year in the beginning that had scrambling QBs done right, then they broke it with their patches to the point every time the QB tried to scramble he went directly into the defensive tackle.

But anyway, nothing pissed me off more then to punt the ball, they would have all this space to the left and to right of them and they would just run up the middle into 3 defenders.
Amen to that
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #42
Madden Gameplay QA

Official_Mole's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NCAA Football 14 Preview and Video Interview with Ben Haumiller (IGN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Just got around to watching the video, somebody tell me i'm not seeing things but does anyone else see a ton of sliding and awkward animations in these run videos? I'm sorry but it just doesn't look smooth at all. Still looks like guys sliding through animations. I don't get when you have so much time to plan your clips, and the focus of your game this year is the running, why you'd put in some of those clips.
I got to play the game back in January at the NCAA Community Event and what I can tell you from my own experience is that from a full speed gameplay standpoint I thought the running was spectacular.

I didn't feel as if I was sliding or "manually juking" when making cuts. I think that when you slow the game down so much in replay you might get a quick glimpse of a slide but I see that in all sports games and even shooters when my character is running.

I know many of the players on OS are gonna wanna wait until they play the game to judge and thats totally cool. But just thought I would throw in my take on it.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #43
Madden Gameplay QA

Official_Mole's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I listened again and he seems to say "conceptual awareness", not procedural awareness, so my bad. In some other video they do claim that the CPU will utilize moves though and learn through a new "real AI" tech circa FIFA/NHL, so hopefully that works out.
It's call "Contextual Awareness" and it's an outstanding part of the game. Like Ben described in the video, your RB will be aware that he is running into his own players and will use his hand or make a move to get around the player instead of just falling to the ground.

With QB's in Madden NFL 13 we saw a lot of times where a QB would run into his own line (even when your opponent had 1 or 0 rushers) and still fall down. With "Contextual Awareness" he would be aware that it is his own Lineman and try to move around the player.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #44
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDaMole00xX
I got to play the game back in January at the NCAA Community Event and what I can tell you from my own experience is that from a full speed gameplay standpoint I thought the running was spectacular.

I didn't feel as if I was sliding or "manually juking" when making cuts. I think that when you slow the game down so much in replay you might get a quick glimpse of a slide but I see that in all sports games and even shooters when my character is running.

I know many of the players on OS are gonna wanna wait until they play the game to judge and thats totally cool. But just thought I would throw in my take on it.
Glad I finally got to hear about this from someone that got hands on time, nice. This is what I was hoping but of course can't take anything for granted, does make me wonder why they chose to only show the close up views on Tuesday though.

So before I bombard you with questions, what did they tout as being in the build you played and what had yet to be added?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #45
Madden Gameplay QA

Official_Mole's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Glad I finally got to hear about this from someone that got hands on time, nice. This is what I was hoping but of course can't take anything for granted, does make me wonder why they chose to only show the close up views on Tuesday though.

So before I bombard you with questions, what did they tout as being in the build you played and what had yet to be added?

No problem. As for what build we played I don't want to go into too much detail since I'm under NDA and don't wanna risk releasing too much.

What I can tell you is that I did notice the Infinity Engine changes and the cutting and feel of the running game. I'm from Wisconsin, I love my Badgers and I love to run the ball. What I can tell you is that I always wanted to run the football. I wanted to test the cuts, the spins, the stiff-arms, and I even intentionally run into defenders just to get a feel for the physics and I was impressed.

Now I did play the game back in January so it was far from complete. Plenty of time to tune and still time to add in what they could. I hope to be down there again and see the progressions that have been made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
I think the casual crowd will buy it regardless of it becoming more "sim". I think it's a copout to keep saying they have to appeal to the casual crowd because for the most part, those people go with the flow anyway. It's one of two football games on the market, both made by EA. It's not like they have a choice if they just wanna sling it around with some friends.
Exactly. Casuals are going to buy either way it goes, all you have to do is herd them in the direction YOU want them to go and they'll usually mob to the destination. They bought it in droves when the players moved much more realistic (I'll go out on a limb and even say the games sold MORE back then), they buy it in droves now with the players moving about like damn disney on ice. The game should be built around the hardcore fan base with options implemented to dial things back a bit if need be for the casual user.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »