Home

Defensive Scheme Updates

This is a discussion on Defensive Scheme Updates within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Defensive Scheme Updates

This may get lost in all of the new hype today but I really hope they spend some time looking at adding new defensive schemes. It is a little disappointing that they don't have Michigan State's base defense in the game. One of the best defenses in the country the last two years. I can get it through audibles but that takes four audible before every snap.

In case anybody is interested they run a 4-3 with the corners in pressed man on the outside receivers, two deep coverage by the safeties with the linebackers covering the flats and middle intermediate routes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Defensive Scheme Updates

Defense as a whole needs to play better.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyZoomba
This may get lost in all of the new hype today but I really hope they spend some time looking at adding new defensive schemes. It is a little disappointing that they don't have Michigan State's base defense in the game. One of the best defenses in the country the last two years. I can get it through audibles but that takes four audible before every snap.

In case anybody is interested they run a 4-3 with the corners in pressed man on the outside receivers, two deep coverage by the safeties with the linebackers covering the flats and middle intermediate routes.
NCAA has never had true cover 4. Heck cover 2 isn't implemented properly. Funny they spent time with WVU talking about recruiting but have yet to discuss how defenses actually play with any current DCs.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

So basically they run cover 2 with corners in man. that only sounds like 2 pre-snap audibles. I like the concept will try it.

Defense needs a mini-haul but we know offense first because thats what sells this game.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
So basically they run cover 2 with corners in man. that only sounds like 2 pre-snap audibles. I like the concept will try it.

Defense needs a mini-haul but we know offense first because thats what sells this game.
That way can work but not the best. It leaves the sidelines too open. To counter this I usually like to put the outside linebackers in buzz zones and control the MLB. It is a pretty solid defense this way. Confuses the computer pretty good. I haven't tried it out that much online yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
That way can work but not the best. It leaves the sidelines too open. To counter this I usually like to put the outside linebackers in buzz zones and control the MLB. It is a pretty solid defense this way. Confuses the computer pretty good. I haven't tried it out that much online yet.
It wouldn't work online. Unless you're creating pressure with blitzes, you'll get picked apart. I know I always have a field day vs people who try to play coverage. Defense is just bad in the game. Plus anytime someone see's man they spam the hitch route cuz the dbs get out of position almost every time. IMO the defense needs a complete overhaul, I've been using the same concepts for 4 years now. It's been the same for years.

The biggest flaw in the game is there is no randomness. Call the same offensive play and and defensive play 10 times in a row. You'll get the same animations/field coverage every time(aside from beating press coverage which still has the same animation if it happened every play). That's something that needs to addressed in the next gen games. I mean sometimes WRs take a slightly different angle on slants even if it's the same play. Sometimes a 5yd dig ends up being a 7yd dig. Sometimes the QB will throw the ball higher on the same play/route, and so on. It's always exactly the same in the game. Just like QB accuracy needs to be re worked. Call a 5 yd out and throw it exactly at the same time 10 times in a row. With 85acc 9/10 time it's 3yds from the sideline right in the numbers the other time it's over his head. 75acc 7/10times it's 3yds from the sideline right in the numbers the other 3 its over his head.

Last edited by thehardknoxlife; 04-05-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehardknoxlife
It wouldn't work online. Unless you're creating pressure with blitzes, you'll get picked apart. I know I always have a field day vs people who try to play coverage. Defense is just bad in the game. Plus anytime someone see's man they spam the hitch route cuz the dbs get out of position almost every time. IMO the defense needs a complete overhaul, I've been using the same concepts for 4 years now. It's been the same for years.

The biggest flaw in the game is there is no randomness. Call the same offensive play and and defensive play 10 times in a row. You'll get the same animations/field coverage every time(aside from beating press coverage which still has the same animation if it happened every play). That's something that needs to addressed in the next gen games. I mean sometimes WRs take a slightly different angle on slants even if it's the same play. Sometimes a 5yd dig ends up being a 7yd dig. Sometimes the QB will throw the ball higher on the same play/route, and so on. It's always exactly the same in the game. Just like QB accuracy needs to be re worked. Call a 5 yd out and throw it exactly at the same time 10 times in a row. With 85acc 9/10 time it's 3yds from the sideline right in the numbers the other time it's over his head. 75acc 7/10times it's 3yds from the sideline right in the numbers the other 3 its over his head.
I have played games online and finish it thinking "wow I haven't blitzed more than once a quarter." You don't need to blitz that much to win, you just need to counter the expected offensive play. Obviously a problem with man is the hitch. Easy way to counter it with this scheme would be to call cover two with the corners pressing but staying in the short zone. Probably an almost guaranteed interception. Not trying to troll or anything but you sound to me like the person who plays online and runs blitzes all the time and runs the same five plays on offense. Usually those people run over me for a quarter and then get out thought.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
I have played games online and finish it thinking "wow I haven't blitzed more than once a quarter." You don't need to blitz that much to win, you just need to counter the expected offensive play. Obviously a problem with man is the hitch. Easy way to counter it with this scheme would be to call cover two with the corners pressing but staying in the short zone. Probably an almost guaranteed interception. Not trying to troll or anything but you sound to me like the person who plays online and runs blitzes all the time and runs the same five plays on offense. Usually those people run over me for a quarter and then get out thought.
If you never blitz and sit back in coverage trying to "outhink" me I guarantee I would march down the field every possession with ease. I do it all the time. The pass defense is horrible. I use a lot of different plays, but if you stay in the same defense calling the same play, of course I'm going to use that against you. The defense you just suggested I would call a hitch, slant, wheel combo and keep doing it out of different formations until till you adjusted. I'd also throw in some safe TE plays to keep you guessing. I'd also run right over that defense with dive plays out of the gun cuz your not blitzing. If you don't blitz me I'd just sit in the pocket and wait till one of the routes come open. If you had a LB in buzz I'd throw the slant, if you didnt, I'd torch it with the wheel, vs man or deep zone 10yd hitch every time. You'd have to blitz to take me out of rhythm and force a throw. Like I stated earlier, there is no randomness, if I see something(coverage) I've seen since 2009 play out exactly the same as it always has it becomes easy to know what to do. I must be doing something right. My record is like 54-10 and I don't cheese at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »