Home

EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

This is a discussion on EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
So what happens if the players sue the NCAA for using their likeness on TV? Or jerseys, memorabilia, etc.? Oh of course, they have the rights to use those without paying the players. But according to Greg Shaheen, only the NCAA can screw the NCAA players over by not paying them. That's why he wants to get more money for the NCAA, and not give a dime to the players the suit is about. lol what a joke
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 0
i don't get it I thought college players are not allowed to make money
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #51
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

Can I file a lawsuit for EA leaving me out of MVP college baseball? I was sooooo pissed.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #52
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
After just being voted "Worst Company in America" (undeserving, of course. I mean there was BP, etc.), EA does it again! lol
Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #53
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

$1 Billion buckaroos is about looooot of money to loose in one lawsuit, even for EA.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #54
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Uh screw you Keller
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #55
Banned

OVR: 5
really hoping that EA wins this. NCAA is my favorite Football Game. If they lose hope they still make NCAA Football. Because as a College Football Guy i really don't care if it's generic rosters or life like rosters. As long as we have NCAA Football i will be happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #56
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
The NCAA likeness clause they force the students to sign gives them their likeness for "this universe and any an all other universes". That seem reasonable to you? You're falling for this deception. You "getting your college paid" is a one year contract. You suck, guess what, bye bye college being paid for. You're injured? Oh sucks to be you, bye bye scholarship.

The NCAA deserves this. They've been running a massive business enterprise in the guise of "student athletes". No different than the "charity" tax exempt bowl enterprise.
Yeah, the free college education doesn't apply to every athlete. Some of whom are are partial or no scholarship at all and yet still have to abide by the NCAA's draconian rules to maintain eligibility. And as you point out, that scholarship can get yanked at several points for many reasons. It's only in the last few years that the NCAA has allowed schools to offer multi-year guarantees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt957
In a way, I don't think Sam Keller wins anyway because the NCAA, themselves, uses these players' identities and likenesses and they've NEVER been payed. So why target the video game company? He should be going at the NCAA. But either way, I think it's a lost for him, regardless.
Er, he is. The NCAA is a named defendant.

I like the NCAA football series quite a bit, but I think the NCAA and the universities have been playing a rigged game for a long time. The end result may not be that the schools have to pay the players (nor should it be IMO) but that players are allowed to be paid by third parties. And I don't know if that's really a bad option TBH.

FWIW, this exact issue was on The Daily Show this week

(http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...tly-fair-rules)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »