Home

NCAA Football 14 Blog - Breaking Down the Gameplay

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Blog - Breaking Down the Gameplay within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #81
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: NCAA Football 14 Blog - Breaking Down the Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
I don't think anyone here is being an apologist. There are ppl who enjoy the game WITH it's flaws and are encouraged by the steps made. And then ppl saying the steps made aren't enough. There are alot of arm chair developers here who think creating realism is so easy to do that it should just happens. When you think of a concept the code magically appears in your head. And this isn't an apology but football has got to be the hardest game to develop. How often does height/weight and momentum impact an At bad while playing MLB the show?

Bottom Line is EA screwed up no one is arguing that. The engine last gen for what it was at the time was nice. When they made the jump to next Gen they created a completely new engine that had serious limitations and basically unfixable or agumentable coding. For example OL/DL interaction, I believe they really do want to change this. I doubt they can based on the engine. They added great features like "composure" only to take them out and replacement them with things like "run commit".

It's not "accepting mediocrity" just because someone likes a product you don't like.
I don't mean to turn this into a 2K vs. EA thread, because it's not, but, when All-Pro Football 2K8, to this day, is a better product than Madden and NCAA, there's a problem.

That game had no NFL teams, no franchise mode, just a regular old season mode with some NFL legends, and it was STILL FAR SUPERIOR than anything EA has given us this gen in terms of a realistic football game. Good line play, realistic running animations, no physics, but GOOD multi man tackles. The animations actually looked fluid, like a football game is supposed to look. Compare APF 2K8 throwing motions compared to NCAA football. It's laughable.

EA has a budget that would just crush 2K, and you're telling me they're not giving us mediocrity? Or that they want to fix these things and can't? Give me a break. The fact of the matter is, they screwed up, because they don't know how to do it better than they have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #82
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Don't take this wrong JP, but this is the "Exact" same garbage that was fed with the 1st and only football game on xbox360.

Remember how watered down it was and the excuse was that "we are working on new systems so alot that was possible on 1st Gen systems can't automatically be done on these new systems as we learn to code our games for them"

The was a response for Madden '06 (we didn't get a football that year) and why it was so vanilla and watered down.

100% guaranteed that we will get the same garbage of "coding on a new system, so we will try and get that in ......" as to why there really isn't a big jump between games on each system.

You're Sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I don't know why anyone would have high hopes for the next gen given EA's track record and given what the devs themselves have actually said.

In all likelihood, future NCAA's will be watered down and unremarkable.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #83
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
You're Sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I don't know why anyone would have high hopes for the next gen given EA's track record and given what the devs themselves have actually said.

In all likelihood, future NCAA's will be watered down and unremarkable.
in the end it comes down to the talent of the people creating the game. Someone above made the comment about "armchair developers" basically telling us their job is hard and not easy to do so why don't we do better. Well i'm not a game developer, but other game developers DO MUCH BETTER with their games representing other sports. If you want to go out and obtain an exclusive license, you better be able to handle the expectations you put on yourself by forcing people into 1 company's football game.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #84
Gator Bait

Swamp Swagger's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
in the end it comes down to the talent of the people creating the game. Someone above made the comment about "armchair developers" basically telling us their job is hard and not easy to do so why don't we do better. Well i'm not a game developer, but other game developers DO MUCH BETTER with their games representing other sports. If you want to go out and obtain an exclusive license, you better be able to handle the expectations you put on yourself by forcing people into 1 company's football game.
1 word "Money"

EA's motto is "Spend as little possible" since they are the only ones who make 1/2 the sports games people have no choice
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #85
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Whether you call people armchair devs or apologists, in my opinion it doesn't matter.

The biggest problem with this generation of EA football games is that they totally screwed the pooch with the engine. I've said it a million times. I firmly believe this, and will stick by it forever.

I am sure there are developers who are more or less talented than what is there now. But when you dig a hole in the desert that's so deep you can only get out of it if it rains, but its the desert. Basically I'm saying no matter what they do, this current gens engine will always be fatally flawed.

I thought 13 was decent, they have made some strides, but this gen will never recover. The sooner people except that, the better people will feel.

I seriously doubt EA will blow it again on the next-gen consoles. If they do, I will be the first to admit I was wrong, and happily eat crow.

I am excited to see the future of this and Madden. If I had to bet, I would definitely expect Madden 25 on the new consoles this year. So we should see soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #86
Gator Bait

Swamp Swagger's Arena

OVR: 9
Another thing about a new engine is it takes time. An even if they make a new one for next gen it will for sure be a good 2-3 years probably before they get where they want with it if not more...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #87
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Whether you call people armchair devs or apologists, in my opinion it doesn't matter.

The biggest problem with this generation of EA football games is that they totally screwed the pooch with the engine. I've said it a million times. I firmly believe this, and will stick by it forever.

I am sure there are developers who are more or less talented than what is there now. But when you dig a hole in the desert that's so deep you can only get out of it if it rains, but its the desert. Basically I'm saying no matter what they do, this current gens engine will always be fatally flawed.

I thought 13 was decent, they have made some strides, but this gen will never recover. The sooner people except that, the better people will feel.

I seriously doubt EA will blow it again on the next-gen consoles. If they do, I will be the first to admit I was wrong, and happily eat crow.

I am excited to see the future of this and Madden. If I had to bet, I would definitely expect Madden 25 on the new consoles this year. So we should see soon.
I feel like a babe crying out in the wilderness about this but that's exactly what EA is claiming they have done. I keep referencing this post I made quoting info EA has put out and no one has given me any alternate explanation of what it could mean. It all seems straightforward and clear what they are saying, unless they are just flat out lying, lol.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2044904404

Am I completely missing something or isn't this EA stating they will focus on 10-15 titles for the new consoles, later revealed at an EA presentation to be 15, ALL of which will use Frostbite engines? I don't think EA football games currently use that engine, so unless EA football titles are NOT in that list of 15 games for the new consoles, which I am pretty confident they are, this is the "smoking gun" for a new engine for EA football games on the new consoles.

The only question this leaves is will any EA football game be released with the launch of the new consoles and one of those quoted articles seems to suggest they may not. I hope that turns out to be not the case and EA sees the value in releasing a new improved EA football game during the holidays. I can picture all the grown men that love football gaming being giddy about the holidays like little kids over the prospect of finally having a different football game to play other than the current gen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »