Home

Passing Accuracy

This is a discussion on Passing Accuracy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Passing Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovt
all that would be nice and all, but the problem is ALL qbs are just way way too accurate.

If its a completed pass, its pretty much always on the money. Over/under throws are normally always just WAY off.

I dont care how they implement it, but most college qbs are inaccurate enough that the WRs are going to have to make at least small adjustments on most throws greater than 5-10 yds out. Of course for this to matter, they'll have to make momentum affect BOTH WRs and DBs, and would also need to make WRs more aggressive in going for the ball instead of what they have now.

If you played this game, youd get the feeling most passes in college hit the receivers in stride no matter how bad the qb or how deep the throw.
Good stuff.

One way to solve this without having to remap the controller (I'm not a big fan of using the shoulder buttons for lob/bullet or high/low) would be to make a "Catch Zone" that's dependent on QB Accuracy.

It'd work like this: as soon as the QB releases the ball, you'd get a circular zone at the point of the ball's potential impact with the ground. This would replace the always-100%-accurate target we have now. The ball would then travel to anywhere in the zone - the better the QB's accuracy the smaller the zone. Also, the further the pass, the bigger the zone; and an off-balance or cross-body throw would cause a bigger zone, too. It's then on the WR to find the ball's spot in the zone.

This way WRs would have to adjust their route to get to the ball. A tight zone and a WR with a good RTE rating would mean the WR might catch the ball right in stride. Conversely, a Frosh QB with a bigger zone might put the ball behind the WR and cause him to attempt a tougher catch or miss it altogether.

Using this kind of system better replicates the actual act of passing football and also makes the QB ACC, WR RTE, and WR AWR ratings actually mean something.

Of course, like aerovt said, EA would have to rework the WRs so that they'd actually aggressively go for the ball. You know, like real football.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I know we all have varying ideas about how to better represent pass accuracy but does everyone at least agree that there shouldn't be on screen meters, if possible? At the very least an option to disable any on screen meters of a new mechanic.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I don't want on screen meters. Better ways of separating elite from scrub to experienced to rookie.

1. Ratings: Short, medium, deep, throw on the run, play action. It is long over due NCAA brings this over from Madden.

2. Bring back composure rating and bring consistency rating over from Madden.

Those ratings right there would be much better then a meter. If the ratings are rated correctly and spread out from 0 to 100 instead of 60 to 100 with most players rated in the mid 80s and 90s by default, you would have no problem telling who the better and more experienced QB is. The reason it is so hard for NCAA is because they only have throw power and throw accuracy. And by default every QB is rating in the mid 80s and above in both.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I don't want on screen meters. Better ways of separating elite from scrub to experienced to rookie.

1. Ratings: Short, medium, deep, throw on the run, play action. It is long over due NCAA brings this over from Madden.

Those ratings right there would be much better then a meter. If the ratings are rated correctly and spread out from 0 to 100 instead of 60 to 100 with most players rated in the mid 80s and 90s by default, you would have no problem telling who the better and more experienced QB is. The reason it is so hard for NCAA is because they only have throw power and throw accuracy. And by default every QB is rating in the mid 80s and above in both.
I agree that stuff should added and of course about no meters GMS but it's not like that stuff differentiates QBs well in Madden right now. I know in M13, I tried all kind of sliders and what not to make passing harder for less skilled QBs to no avail, online. Now, maybe they fixed that via patch after I traded the game in Oct but that stuff wasn't very effective when I had the game.

I currently have no idea how EA football games determine pass accuracy, it just seems random for missed passes, like the OP stated. I remember having Rex Grossman in M12 and being able to throw down field without the least bit of concern.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Best game of Madden 13 is played in CCM after their last patch.....think it came in November or December. Weird but some reason nothing works as good as it does in CCM. CCM game play is almost like a separate Madden 13.

Meters won't look right in football simply due to it is more players closed together then in baseball or soccer. They already adding a stamina meter under the players. So to add this type of meter the OP is talking about, they either going to have to add a second meter under the stamina meter or put it above the player's head.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimos44
As it is now, passing accuracy for all current football games seems to be a roll of the dice. Sure, its rating based, but is there that much difference between my starting QB and my backup? Both seem to be able to hit my WRs in stride on deep balls, outs, ins, flags, crosses, etc...

There is a disconnect between the user and the QB that makes it feel as if anyone can throw a 55 yard deep ball right on the money just by tapping the button.

Now, just got around to playing the demo of MLB2K12. Every throw from one of your fielders has an accuracy meter tied to it. Press the button to throw, release the button when in the "sweet spot" for an accurate throw to a base. The better the player and the easier the throw, seem to give the user a bigger "sweet spot".

Notice the green area on the meter. That's the "sweet spot". Red is a bad throw and yellow is OK.

Now, could this work for football. One could assume so. QBs with higher accuracy ratings would be given a bigger cushion for accurate passes. Could also make the meter dynamic by increasing or decreasing the "sweet spot" depending on certain variables. Pressure in the pocket, QB rolling out, windy, or even an existing injury could effect the meter negatively, Conversely, a hot streak(completing multiple passes in a row), time in the pocket, and the QB being able to step into a throw could increase the cushion.

Buttons would be used as they are now. Each corresponding with a certain receiver. Let's say you want to throw a 10 yard in to your TE. Press the button to start your arm going back and release the button when the meter is in the sweet spot. Miss the sweet spot, and the pass may sail or go behind your intended target. Hit the sweet spot and the throw is on target and now a completed pass depends on coverage and your TEs ability to catch.

But here's where this idea may run into trouble. Right now, the length we hold down the button determines what type of pass we throw. Lob or bullet. Thus, defeating the use of an accuracy meter. Only thing I could think of was mapping a trigger button(RT) to throw a bullet pass. Not sure I want to go that route though.

Just trying to get more user input with what happens on the field, instead of a roll of the dice.
I just love this!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson

The thing is that real sim players has been playing with QB acc at 5, 10 sometimes 15 etc. No one leave it at 50 or at default.

Ratings means nothing with this game. specially QB acc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Almost everything in NCAA needs an overhaul going into next gen. Button scheme too. Would be exciting to see something like this. Good post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »