Home

Passing Accuracy

This is a discussion on Passing Accuracy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Passing Accuracy

I think the bottom line with the passing issue is the ratings in don't mean crap. I tested this by dropping the ratings in three categories: AWR, THP and THA without much difference. I shelved the game. EA needs to make sure the ratings do what they say they do. Sliders used to help this issue, but those are broken too. 13' was screwed up and EA didn't fix the problem through patches after they were made aware of it through these blogs. I have no reason to think 14' will be any different. I guess time will tell. I used to buy this game every year, but I will wait and see on the next one.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Best game of Madden 13 is played in CCM after their last patch.....think it came in November or December. Weird but some reason nothing works as good as it does in CCM. CCM game play is almost like a separate Madden 13.

Meters won't look right in football simply due to it is more players closed together then in baseball or soccer. They already adding a stamina meter under the players. So to add this type of meter the OP is talking about, they either going to have to add a second meter under the stamina meter or put it above the player's head.
I don't play Madden, and sorry for the stupid question, but what is "CCM"?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

I'm no expert at this stuff and also don't want meters all over the field. But if it replaces the score banner at the bottom like in this pic, the user could easily see it while still looking downfield.

Notice the size of the "sweet spot". This is for a QB with high accuracy ratings and no pressure around him.

Now, lets put a below average QB in there. Same pic, same variables(no pressure) and look how the sweet spot changed.

Ratings still come into play in these scenarios because it determines the size of your accuracy window.

Making this meter dynamic would be great. Like the moment your QB breaks the pocket the green and yellow spots begin to shrink and red takes over. Maybe your QB just got blindsided by the DE. And now its 3rd and 22. That green area would really shrink due to the confidence of your QB. Now would you call a deep passing play knowing the chance for a bad throw has increased or be conservative and run a draw.

I may have figured out a way to still use lob and bullet passes work the same way using the accuracy meter. There are two sweet spots, one for the bullet pass and one for the lob. It still would depend on how long you held down the button.

Last edited by eskimos44; 04-14-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Great idea. The passing game is broken (well, the whole game is) so this could help.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Even at the very bottom of the screen, it looks too distracting. Now if they can put it within the player circle itself, that would be fine because you always see the circle of the player you are controlling anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5
Yeah, this is just an example of how to implement some sort of user input in the into the passing game. I figured if a kicker can get an accuracy meter, why not a QB.

This meter would not pop up until your receiver icons pop up. And using this size will allow us to use our peripheral vision to throw accurate passes without taking our eyes off the action downfield.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #23
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimos44
Yeah, this is just an example of how to implement some sort of user input in the into the passing game. I figured if a kicker can get an accuracy meter, why not a QB.

This meter would not pop up until your receiver icons pop up. And using this size will allow us to use our peripheral vision to throw accurate passes without taking our eyes off the action downfield.
But that also brings up another problem. The kicker meter is idiot proof. Unless you goofing around, pretty much damn near impossible to miss a FG with somebody with a good leg.

The only FGs I ever miss is because the kicker's leg was weak and it came up short. Other then that, I never miss.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimos44
I'm no expert at this stuff and also don't want meters all over the field. But if it replaces the score banner at the bottom like in this pic, the user could easily see it while still looking downfield.

Notice the size of the "sweet spot". This is for a QB with high accuracy ratings and no pressure around him.

Now, lets put a below average QB in there. Same pic, same variables(no pressure) and look how the sweet spot changed.

Ratings still come into play in these scenarios because it determines the size of your accuracy window.

Making this meter dynamic would be great. Like the moment your QB breaks the pocket the green and yellow spots begin to shrink and red takes over. Maybe your QB just got blindsided by the DE. And now its 3rd and 22. That green area would really shrink due to the confidence of your QB. Now would you call a deep passing play knowing the chance for a bad throw has increased or be conservative and run a draw.

I may have figured out a way to still use lob and bullet passes work the same way using the accuracy meter. There are two sweet spots, one for the bullet pass and one for the lob. It still would depend on how long you held down the button.
I like this idea a lot, but I thought the meter should just be put around the icon of the wideout you are throwing to. Look at B

You would still be looking in that direction, so it should be intuitive to put the meter right next to the wideout.

I would also make it so that the first part of the meter is the windup, and if a QB is hit during that part there is a much higher chance of a strip sack. That would further differentiate the quick-release passers from the long windup guys like Tebow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »